New Forums Help Thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
carteki

Post by carteki »

TriciaG
The edited thingy happens on every first post I make. Admins don't get and edited notification on their or any post amendments. See the posts in my signature.
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

carteki wrote: January 16th, 2018, 12:59 pm TriciaG
The edited thingy happens on every first post I make. Admins don't get and edited notification on their or any post amendments. See the posts in my signature.
The post editing above the signature is there to protect the members, nothing more nor nothing less. If you have a person trolling you and they make a post that goes something like: You stupid *head, crap eating idiot, just leave this ** community or go off and die". The person who this post was directed to should really take a screen shot of the post and save it. So now the original poster sobers up or comes to their senses and decides to edit their post to remove all the negative language.

Now, this is what happens. The idiot that made this slandering post when confronted by the moderator staff as someone has flagged that post, screams, "On no, I never said that". Well, take the screen shot along with the edit of the post, date and time and as they now say in the USA, your cooked. It can now be proven that you have in fact violated most community forums be nice policy.

If I understand your last statement, you are correct. If you edit your post, it will not generate a notification that something new has been added and it will not send out a notification via the user control panel nor the automated email system. Just me 0.2 cents and I apologize upfront for the ******'s. I tried to put it in a way that could be understood.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

carteki wrote: January 16th, 2018, 12:59 pm TriciaG
I hadn't seen them before - or maybe I just hadn't noticed them. I went to a couple of your linked threads and saw them - especially the Help PL one - you've edited it 33 times? :)

I don't know if there's a way to turn that off - and like MM said, there may be reasons to keep it. I've not seen any discussion about turning it on/turning it off, pros/cons, etc. anywhere on the forums until now.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

TriciaG wrote: January 16th, 2018, 2:44 pmI don't know if there's a way to turn that off - and like MM said, there may be reasons to keep it. I've not seen any discussion about turning it on/turning it off, pros/cons, etc. anywhere on the forums until now.
It is a feature written into the core code of phpbb. There is no option to disable it as far as I know. However, at the sys admin level you can set the parameters as to how long a poster has to either edit, or delete their original post. That is why when you sign back on and see the (X) above you post and a day later it is gone, that means you can no longer delete that post, however as long as you see the little pencil icon, that means you can still edit it, which brings us back to the subject at hand of having a date and time stamp.
linny

Post by linny »

MagicMan wrote: January 16th, 2018, 2:55 pm
TriciaG wrote: January 16th, 2018, 2:44 pmI don't know if there's a way to turn that off - and like MM said, there may be reasons to keep it. I've not seen any discussion about turning it on/turning it off, pros/cons, etc. anywhere on the forums until now.
It is a feature written into the core code of phpbb. There is no option to disable it as far as I know. However, at the sys admin level you can set the parameters as to how long a poster has to either edit, or delete their original post. That is why when you sign back on and see the (X) above you post and a day later it is gone, that means you can no longer delete that post, however as long as you see the little pencil icon, that means you can still edit it, which brings us back to the subject at hand of having a date and time stamp.
It may be worth looking into giving us back more than one day to make or delete a post. I know it’s really helpful in the abandoned sections threads where as a BC I can post that a role or chapter needs a new reader. If nobody posts after me then when a new reader is found I can delete my “help wanted” post without adding another chore to the admins.
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

linny wrote: January 16th, 2018, 3:41 pm
MagicMan wrote: January 16th, 2018, 2:55 pm
It may be worth looking into giving us back more than one day to make or delete a post. I know it’s really helpful in the abandoned sections threads where as a BC I can post that a role or chapter needs a new reader. If nobody posts after me then when a new reader is found I can delete my “help wanted” post without adding another chore to the admins.
Linny, I just used one day as an example as I have no knowledge of what your sys admin has for these settings. However, IMHO, your request will not be met as it is to unpredictable on when a abandoned thread may or may not become active via being replied to. Set the delete feature to 10 days and someone replies on the 11th day, you are right back where you started. I just wanted to be clear on the fact that I am not talking for the system admin.
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Hi I know this has been discussed previously.
Despite turning off all email notifications I am receiving notifications for practically every thread don't know why that is happening. Anyone shed any light on this thanks
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

wib66 wrote: January 20th, 2018, 5:30 pm Hi I know this has been discussed previously.
Despite turning off all email notifications I am receiving notifications for practically every thread don't know why that is happening. Anyone shed any light on this thanks
Are you talking about receiving email notifications?

And all your email options are unchecked here? ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options
wib66

Post by wib66 »

TriciaG wrote: January 20th, 2018, 5:34 pm
wib66 wrote: January 20th, 2018, 5:30 pm Hi I know this has been discussed previously.
Are you talking about receiving email notifications?

And all your email options are unchecked here? ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options
I did have the one ticked that says ones I am subscribed to but I am getting them for ones that I have not even subscribed to. I have now unchecked this to see if it stops but I guess that means I won't get any emails for the ones I am subscribed to. Hope all that makes sense lol sorry
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, so you had emails selected for subscribed threads only, and you were getting emails for threads you were not subscribed to?

Dumb question: are you sure you weren't subscribed to those threads? :)

Another dumb question: are you subscribed to any forums?
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Has anyone found a way, as in the old forum, to PM one from a project post, which includes the project link (as header) as well as the individual post quoted? (did that make sense)??
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just click on the little contact icaon under the posters name on the Right hand side

Anne
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

There is a bubble with ellipsis to the right from "Contact" under the user's name. Click on it, it will open a small "menu", use the left icon to send the private message with quoting.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thanks Anne, one of the things I hadn't played with yet. :roll:
And thanks for the PM tovarisch. eta: and the crossover post. :)
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!