COMPLETE[PLAY] Orra: A Tragedy by Joanna Baillie - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Hey, every little bit helps. :-) Thanks.

I probably should have warned you that the servants have shockingly little to say in this play. :shock:

And we're down to two major roles and one smaller one. Yay. :-)
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hehe, well it may be a small role, but you made the most of it and really gave this servant a character. I love the funny voice, it makes for a comic relief here in the scene. And the scared superstitious tone of voice in Act 3 is absolutely great :thumbs: Well done and PL ok.

Thanks Sandra for helping out here :D

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote:And here are the final three acts of Rudigere!
Tomas, this is absolutely wonderful :9: I know I would be rooting for this villain in a movie :mrgreen: His final moments are simply excellent, where he declines the priest's absolution and then dies by his own hands, and even in death takes vengeance. A truly great villain.

Oh and I also loved your awakening with a snore in Act 3 :lol: it sounded so realistic. :thumbs:

All three acts PL ok. Great job !

And with that, Chuck, Act 4 is ready to be assembled, as all the roles are in for that act :D go for it !

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

OK, Hugobert has been uploaded:

Act 1: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_hugobert_1.mp3 Time: 4:54
Act 2: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_hugobert_2.mp3 Time: 4:57
Act 5: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_hugobert_5.mp3 Time: 5:10

Any and all criticism is most welcome !!
In particular, pronunciation, emphasis (or lack thereof), too slow?, too fast?, not enough silence, too much silence, volume, you name it ! Mis-characterization? Did I miss anything?
Anything at all. Believe me, I can take criticism and advice. :D

Thanks! :D
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote: January 15th, 2018, 10:07 am OK, Hugobert has been uploaded:
Any and all criticism is most welcome !!
In particular, pronunciation, emphasis (or lack thereof), too slow?, too fast?, not enough silence, too much silence, volume, you name it ! Mis-characterization? Did I miss anything?
Anything at all. Believe me, I can take criticism and advice. :D
thank you so much, Roger. I appreciate your carte blanche to tell you any correction suggestions, but I listened to the first act and was :shock: (in a good way). Now don't think I want to flatter you, but this is the first thing that came to my mind when I heard your first speech: "this is a worthy Shakespearean performance". My mouth did not close for the whole act. You outdid yourself. Seems this role was made for you (or you for the role :hmm: ) You play the ranting Count to perfection in the beginning, then with his son he is partly contemptuous and partly proud of him. Absolutely well characterized. Nothing at all wrong with this performance.

Textually, all quotes are in as well and no errors. This is a perfect PL ok for Act 1. The only thing I found was:

> at 2:17-2:20: (p. 14) "if I am angry, thou art a graceless fool to tell me so": no need to make a lengthy pause here, as it's the same sentence

but you don't have to correct this and re-upload, because there were no other errors. Chuck will paste these two parts together while assembling the act.

Also something else: the volume in the three acts is over 92, but there is no clipping and so also ok, Chuck will adjust the volume anyway later on.

Now I'm looking forward to the next two acts :9:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Listened to Act 2...awwww you are so mean in this scene, Roger. :evil: A real tyrannical patriarch. I love the "hold thy tongue" exclamation :thumbs: It's really palpable how you talked yourself in a rage here. Super performance.

But here I need to give one PL note:

> at about 2:15: (p. 36 top): please insert one longer speech which is missing here: "Madam and ward, placed under mine authority [...] wilt thou do this ?"

thank you. On to the last act...

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and finished Act 5....in the end the audience will probably pity the poor man after all. His sadness over his son's death, regardless what a disappointment he was, is still quite genuine. Well done :thumbs: I loved the whole performance, it will sound great later on assembled to a whole.

There is only one textual error here which needs correcting:

> at 1:25: (p. 83 bottom): "That plea avails thee not" - you say "me", which changes the meaning here

the rest: perfect. I'm happy you took the role. :9:

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

My humble apologies for neglecting to adjust the volume. :roll: It's generally my final step in preparation, and I simply forgot.
I have modified the volume for each, (against your advice), as I don't want to ruin anybody else's ears any more than necessary along the way.
I have also made the changes that were necessary, with the exception of Act 1 at 2:17-2:20. I guess I'll leave that bit to the assembler, along with any other modifications desired.

All 3 sections have been re-uploaded. The time for each is:
Act 1 - 4:54
Act 2 - 5:41
Act 5 - 5:09

Thanks for all your kind words, although I'm hardly worthy, methinks. :mrgreen:
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Roger wrote: January 15th, 2018, 3:43 pm My humble apologies for neglecting to adjust the volume. :roll: It's generally my final step in preparation, and I simply forgot.
I have modified the volume for each, (against your advice), as I don't want to ruin anybody else's ears any more than necessary along the way.
I have also made the changes that were necessary, with the exception of Act 1 at 2:17-2:20. I guess I'll leave that bit to the assembler, along with any other modifications desired.

All 3 sections have been re-uploaded. The time for each is:
Act 1 - 4:54
Act 2 - 5:41
Act 5 - 5:09

Thanks for all your kind words, although I'm hardly worthy, methinks. :mrgreen:
I agree with Sonia. This is suuuuuch a fantastic performance. Thank you so much for volunteering. :-)
PROJECTS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote:I have modified the volume for each, (against your advice), as I don't want to ruin anybody else's ears any more than necessary along the way.
thank you Roger, all three acts checked once again and all is PL ok now. That was an important speech you missed here. Excellently delivered, yet again. You made it quite known to Orra you wouldn't take No for an answer ;)

Sonia
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

The last bit of narration... and it's kinda long.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_narration_5.mp3

I apologize for the weird scraping sounds that pop up during my silences. My neighbor decided to shovel snow while I was recording.
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

PROJECTS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and Glottenball is done and dusted (in a way :roll: ) excellent final number ! In Act 5 he starts to find some of his brawn, I noticed. It's almost tragic that he got killed by the poisonous knife in the end. Wonderfully brought to a close. Both acts PL ok.

Thanks so much, Craig

Sonia