'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Mermaid (Mil Nicholson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Dear Mil

Thanks so much for your production and reading of this book.

There are two people in my life who are responsible for turning my profound dislike (when I left school at age 14) into my love of Charles Dickens. One was Simon Callow who did readings at the 200th anniversary and your reading of Domby and Son is the other.

You manage to bring every character to life in your own inimitable way and keep Dickens’ dramatization at the same time, your portraiture of the characters is brilliant - I’m guessing you are an actor or connected with the arts in some way, to be able to keep the quality so high for 40+ hours is a quite remarkable feat. I absolutely loved it!

Many Thanks

Martyn

Ref: https://librivox.org/dombey-and-son-by-charles-dickens/

All of Mil's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gloriana (Elizabeth Klett) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Dear Elizabeth,

I am nearly finished your Jane Eyre. I am so enjoying it. You are wonderful! Thank you for spending the time to read this. I wasn’t sure how I would get on with Charlotte Bronte, but you bring each character to life. I now love Jane! I am also very impressed with your English accent - being English myself - it is just fabulous.

Thank you so much, I shall move onto some other books you are reading after this one!
Best wishes,
Sandra

All of Elizabeth's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for bgdavid (David Clarke) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding his recording of The Count of Monte Cristo:

Your reading brought the story alive for me. I got the sense that you loved the characters. Before listening to your reading I did not realize that some people enjoy reading more because they hear the voices in there head as they read. I had never created unique voices for each character. You have an extraordinary gift for this and your reading took me away to the prison and the grotto. I believed every detail. I suspect you are a professional actor.

It's clear you love the story and you had me loving it too. It meant a lot to me to enjoy this book. I was touched deeply by your reading. I am certain I never would have gotten the book without you reading. Thank you so very much.

Have you read any other bills for librivox?
Chris

All of David's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
bgdavid

Post by bgdavid »

Thanks for your comments - it means a lot to get feedback for doing this. I am not a professional actor but do really enjoy reading and am doing my first paid book at the moment for an author friend. In the meantime I have recorded Count of Monte Cristo but also all of the Sherlock Holmes books - you can get a link to all my books on this page.

Regards

David
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

bgdavid wrote: January 8th, 2018, 10:26 pm Thanks for your comments - it means a lot to get feedback for doing this. I am not a professional actor but do really enjoy reading and am doing my first paid book at the moment for an author friend. In the meantime I have recorded Count of Monte Cristo but also all of the Sherlock Holmes books - you can get a link to all my books on this page.

Regards

David
I have passed your note on to the listener, thanks David!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for RuthieG (Ruth Golding) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Ruth Golding is an EXTREMELY TALENTED READER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am very picky about the readers I listen to and she is one of the best ladies I have heard. There are some that I truly enjoy, but Ruth, has a great way or changing her voice to even come close to sounding like a man. However in the nest minute can make her voice sound like a child or young boy. AMAZING!!!!!

Please give her my regards and thank her for me for sharing her talent with us.

Sincerely,
Darren
and...
I must say, “Cleek of Scotland Yard”, is a wonderful book. In addition with its great worth Ruth Golding brings even more life to it, as she reads it and add character to the wonderful people in it. My mind is caused to picture everything, and to listen to every word as they are the air that I breath. I sit here at my computer and search the web or play a game during this time of what I call relaxation time, and listen to her unfold this wonderful book. It is a blessing and a comfort for me. Please give her my words of wonder to her for me.

Sincerely,
Darren
and...
I hope I am one of many fans of your excellent readings. Just finished Women In Love and looking forward to more of your solo ventures.
All of Ruth's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for JenniferW (JenniferW) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

I've been listening to The Theory of Moral Sentiments; thank you for your clear recordings, and also your voice reminds me that of Ellen Mclain voice-acting of Glados in Portal video game. :)

All of JenniferW's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for kayray (Kara Shallenberg) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I recently heard a 2006 recording of The Secret Garden by Kara Shallenberg. It was wonderfully evocative and the singing of the doxology was a lovely surprise. I would like to thank Kara Shallenberg for her earnest effort. And of course, LIbriVox for making this available free of charge.

Regards,

Raji

All of Kara's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for DSayers (Denny Sayers) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

To which book title am I referring:

Don Quixote, by Cervantes, translated by John Ormsby

Which reader am I thanking:

Dennis Sayers of Modesto, Ca.,

Dear Mr. Sayers,

I enjoyed all the chapters you read.

After hearing your reading of the last chapters of volume 1, I decided that I would like to write you and say, "Thanks very much!"

Cervantes' book is magnificent, Ormsby's translation is magnificent, and now we can add, Dennis Sayers' reading is magnificent -- a real joy!

Thanks again,

and all the best,

Dr. I. Michael

Raanana, Israel

All of Denny's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Paul Adams (Paul Adams) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Thanks so much for all your efforts in reading and rendering a very lively, engaging, and entertaining interpretation of A Tale of Two Cities (Version 2) by Charles Dickens. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
https://librivox.org/a-tale-of-two-cities-by-charles-dickens-2/

Thank you!

All of Paul's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for thadine (Joy Chan) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Dear Joy Chan,

My schedule does not allow me much time to read through books, but I do set aside a period of time in the early mornings for listening to audio books. I recently discovered LibriVox and what a blessing it is.

Thank you for the recordings of the Andrew Murray books you've made. Your narrations are very pleasant to listen to. Some narrators tend to draw attention to their own voice (I'm sure it's unintentional), but when I listen to your narrations I find myself being drawn so easily into the message of the author. And with good authors this makes it almost effortless to follow their train of thought.

In particular, I very much appreciated listening to "Absolute Surrender and Other Addresses" (https://librivox.org/absolute-surrender-by-andrew-murray/). Thank you so much!

Sincerely,
Yann

All of Joy's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gypsygirl (Karen Savage) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I have been listening to the novels and stories of Lucy Maud Montgomery, and your readings pop up often. I just wanted you to know that I have truly enjoyed the readings that you have done. They are clear, understandable, and quite perfect. In short, your voice disappears and all that is there is the beauty of the story itself. I consider this to be the most effective kind of reading. Thank you so much for your work with Librivox so that many can hear these delightful stories. I deeply appreciate the time you took which allowed me to enjoy this author so much. I will continue to seek out your readings, since I feel that it gives me excellent exposure to the great authors you are reading from.

Warmly,
Tamara
(a grateful listener with no audiobook funds, and yet a busy working mom, so barely time to listen, let alone read, yet hungry for the escape and reflection of good fiction)
and...
Dear Karen Savage,

I hope you are doing well.

I, wholeheartedly, want to thank you for your narration of Pride & Prejudice, Sense & Sensibility and Persuasion by Jane Austen.

I'm currently hearing Pride & Prejudice for the third time which was recorded by you 10 years ago for Librivox.org. . Its an escape for me from the worldly matters and into fantasy.
The pronunciations and pace of narration are worth highest praise.

Moreover, you have expressed each character so well in all the books that I'm able to have a vivid image of them. I especially like how you read the thoughts of the characters, also, in their given voices (by yourself).

This little Thank You note cannot do justice to my gratitude for your brilliant job.

I wish you all the very best.

A big fan of yours,
Neha
UAE

All of Karen's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gloriana (Elizabeth Klett) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Reader: Elizabeth Klett

Texts: What Maisie Knew (https://librivox.org/what-maisie-knew-by-henry-james/); Portrait of a Lady (https://librivox.org/the-portrait-of-a-lady-solo-version-by-henry-james/); The Turn of the Screw (https://librivox.org/the-turn-of-the-screw-version-2-by-henry-james/)

To Elizabeth Klett. I have recently listened to your readings of What Maisie Knew, Portrait of a Lady and the Turn of the Screw. Thank you so very much! The readings are articulate, elegant, and very compelling. I look forward to listening to your other readings.

With much gratitude,

Nicholas

Leeds, UK.
and...
Hi there,

This is a message for Elizabeth Klett, for her reading of Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence (version 2, link here: https://librivox.org/the-age-of-innocence-version-2-by-edith-wharton/ ).

Ms Klett, thank you for your superb reading of The Age of Innocence. You were fantastic and your recording meant I managed to get through the book in time for my seminar. Thank you for your hard work!

Best wishes,

Dina
and...
I just wanted to thank Elizabeth Klett for the great reading of The Children of Oden, loved every minute.

All of Elizabeth's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Kehinde (Kehinde) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Greetings, Kehinde:

I am listening to "Life in Mexico" for the second time, so I thought it was time for me to send you a big THANK YOU for all the work you did so that I could listen to it. I went back to it a second time after hearing "The Conquest of Mexico." This second hearing was much more enjoyable after hearing the historical background of Mexico. It is one of the best books of its kind, and I thank you again for all your trouble, especially since I can no longer read because of a visual condition.

But I confess that after historical books, English murder mysteries are my favorites. And there you are again, narrating "The Middle of Things by Fletcher. The book was good, but the narration was WONDERFUL. Your voice is so lovely and the recording was the crispiest and clearest I have ever heard. Even with a slight hearing loss, I could distinguish an "s" from an "f" very distinctly. I don't know how to thank you enough for all the hours of enjoyment your narrations have given me. All I can do is to thank you again.

Susan

All of Kehinde's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Kaffen (Mark F. Smith) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I wanted to thank you so much for your website and the amazing audio of Mark F. Smith reading "Great Expectations". Our son, Logan, has ADD and has struggled in English for years. He had a horrible time trying to stay focused and trying to understand Charles Dickens was a nightmare. He would re-read the same paragraph over and over and still have no clue what he had just read.

In the past, my husband & I have read with him. His Kindle has helped tremendously but it wasn't until we found Librivox that we found something he actually enjoyed. Listening to the soothing voice of Mark Smith when he read as "Pip" was so calming and really helped my son to form a vision of the actual character. Mark's voice made the characters real and Logan was able to follow the story and understand what he had just read. And because of Mark we no longer hate Dickens! Yes! THANK YOU MARK!!

We will definitely be using Librivox for Logan's assignments in the future. You are a blessing to our family. Thanks again.

Tanya

All of Mark's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!