New Forums Help Thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome to the new look of the forums! All of the old functionality is still available; it's just in different places and under different buttons/menus. If you can't figure out how to do something, please post here and we'll help each other figure it out. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Wondering if it's just me, but a number of smilies are no longer working: the sad face :( , the wink :wink: , the cloud 9 :9: , the hmm :hmm: and the birthday :birthday: .

I hope they're not gone for good. :?
Tomas Peter
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

They're working for me. Well, the big grin :D and the regular smiley :) aren't, but I think that's a temporary glitch. Keep using them, and I believe they will eventually reappear for you.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Whether the smilies show up in the "post a reply" screen as pictures or text may depend on your browser . . .
I get about half of them in pictures on Firefox 55.0.3, the others are there, just text not pictures.

MaryAnn
Roger

Post by Roger »

The only thing I've noticed so far which is different, is when I select the "upload" link, and when I select the "BC Admin" link (to access the MW), in neither case does it open a separate window, as it used to do.
Or is this a setting I need to change somewhere? Either way, not a show stopper, just an observation.
Otherwise, good job to all involved !! :clap:
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

"Two nasty-looking switches over here, but I'm not going to be the first." :mrgreen:
EYE-gor, "Young Frankenstein"
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Roger wrote: January 4th, 2018, 12:41 pm The only thing I've noticed so far which is different, is when I select the "upload" link, and when I select the "BC Admin" link (to access the MW), in neither case does it open a separate window, as it used to do.
Or is this a setting I need to change somewhere? Either way, not a show stopper, just an observation.
Roger,

They are not set to pop open a new tab/window automatically like they were in the past. If you right-click on the link, a familiar pop-up window should appear that will allow you to choose to open in a new tab or window.

David O
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

I've just noticed that the URL for "Your Posts" is:

search.php?search_id=egosearch

I am not sure how I should feel about that.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Roger wrote: January 4th, 2018, 12:41 pm The only thing I've noticed so far which is different, is when I select the "upload" link, and when I select the "BC Admin" link (to access the MW), in neither case does it open a separate window, as it used to do.
It was bad forum code that used to do that, and now it's not possible. So like David said - right click and select "open in new window/tab", or Control-click the link to do the same thing (open in new tab; shift-click opens in new window).
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

realisticspeakers wrote: January 4th, 2018, 12:52 pm I've just noticed that the URL for "Your Posts" is:

search.php?search_id=egosearch

I am not sure how I should feel about that.
It's always been that URL.
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

I don't see 'Local Time' on the new forum* or 'User Control' to edit signature, time zone, etc.. (probably buried somewhere) :hmm:
*Okay, local time is on the opposite side of the page. :roll:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

aradlaw wrote: January 4th, 2018, 1:22 pm I don't see 'Local Time' on the new forum or 'User Control' to edit signature, time zone, etc.. (probably buries somewhere) :hmm:
Click on your name in the upper right to get to the UCP. The vertical tabs that show in the first screen will have your subscriptions, bookmarks, etc. There are horizontal tabs; "Profile" contains the signature. "Board Preferences" has the time zone.
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thanks Tricia. I found the Logout there also.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I also noticed that upload links are automatically shortened now, hiding the section numbers unless you scroll over them or play the files. This is actually more inconvenient now, I think. I understand shortening very, very long links, but I never thought the upload links were that long to begin with.

EDIT: Oh, this only seems to happen for one of my projects. :?
Tomas Peter
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

WiltedScribe wrote: January 4th, 2018, 1:40 pm I also noticed that upload links are automatically shortened now, hiding the section numbers unless you scroll over them or play the files. This is actually more inconvenient now, I think. I understand shortening very, very long links, but I never thought the upload links were that long to begin with.

EDIT: Oh, this only seems to happen for one of my projects. :?
We caught this shortly after going live, and shouldn't be happening on new posts. We can't fix the previous posts, unfortunately.

EDIT: I don't know if this would help, but MAYBE, if it's too much of an inconvenience, it might clear up if an admin (or the poster, if it's available for them) edits the post. :hmm: Not sure about that one! But I think we should use this option (if it works) only sparingly. It would be a lot of work to edit hundreds of posts.