[COMPLETE]Word Portraits of Famous Writers ed. Mabel E. Wotton - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Word Portraits of Famous Writers by Mabel E. Wotton (1863 - 1927).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/word-portraits-of-famous-writers-by-mabel-e-wotton/
Mabel Elizabeth Wotton, an author herself, moved in the literary circles of the late nineteenth century establishing many close friendships, She presents for us here, not literary criticism nor biographical sketches, but "word portraits," shore vignettes of a persons physical appearance and elements of behavior or personality. These are all drawn from many sources -- biographies, newspapers, or personal friends of the authors. Some descriptions are based on paintings or drawings, but the majority are derived from personal acquaintance. Thus, we have a unique view of these famous artists that we seldom read. ( Larry Wilson)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/56166
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works

Keywords that describe the book: literature, history, essay, biography, author, poet

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of Word Portraits of Famous Writers. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Word Portraits of Famous Writers, edited by Mabel E. Wotton. [Name of Writer and Dates]"

NOTE: Please read the source at the beginning of each paragraph. If there is an "*" please read it as "asterisk." (The significance of this is explained in the introduction). Examples:
      "from Temple Bar, 1874, asterisk." "from a personal friend."

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Section]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Word Portraits of Famous Writers, edited by Mabel E. Wotton. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      wordportraits_###_wotton_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. wordportraits_001_wotton_128kb.mp3)
    9. Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Kitty
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by silverquill on March 15th, 2018, 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Larry, this is a cool project. :9: I especially like the short sections. I will MC this. Will be back shortly with a MW. Stay tuned.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right, Larry, you got your work cut out for you to populate the MW.

May I claim some sections for myself already please ?

GEORGE, LORD BYRON
GEOFFREY CHAUCER
ANN RADCLIFFE
SIR PHILIP SIDNEY

thank you

Sonia
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Larry, you do find the coolest projects!

I know the MW is not filled in yet, and if there are any of the below that you want to do, just delete them from my list.

Could I claim the following please:

15 Robert Burns
19 Thomas Carlyle
27 William Cowper
30 Charles Dickens
52 Samuel Johnson
74 Thomas Moore
87 Samuel Rogers

Thanks!

Nemo
Last edited by NemoR on January 2nd, 2018, 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Hi Larry,

I'll reiterate the interest in this project. I like how compact these sections are. :) May I express interest in the following?

Charlotte Bronte
Henry Fielding
John Gay
Matthew Gregory Lewis
Samuel Richardson
Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Tobias Smollett
Laurence Sterne

Many thanks!
Tomas Peter
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Could I please sign up for any of these that you don't want to do?

Elizabeth Barrett Browning
William Hazlitt
John Keats
Charles Lamb
William Wordsworth
Percy Bysshe Shelley
Leigh Hunt
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I think I should have posted a note to hold off on claims until the MW is set up. This doubles my work because I have to look up all of the section numbers to get the claims entered. Late night, several weather related challenges also set me back today, but I'll do my best. Good to have the sections claimed, though. Just be patient.
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Well, you just shouldn't have picked a project that would generate such immediate and intense interest, that's all! :lol:
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Larry, after the MW is set up, I'll go back and edit my post to include the section numbers so you don't have to look them up ... don't want to create extra work for you!

Nemo
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Kitty wrote:all right, Larry, you got your work cut out for you to populate the MW.

May I claim some sections for myself already please ?

GEORGE, LORD BYRON
GEOFFREY CHAUCER
ANN RADCLIFFE
SIR PHILIP SIDNEY

thank you

Sonia
Thank you so much for picking this up, Sonia. :9:
I've got the MW done, and will work on assigning the claims.

I've put you in for your choice.
There are also several sections that have paragraphs in French that you might consider taking on for us. They are marked in the MW.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

NemoR wrote:Larry, you do find the coolest projects!

I know the MW is not filled in yet, and if there are any of the below that you want to do, just delete them from my list.

Could I claim the following please:

15 Robert Burns
19 Thomas Carlyle
27 William Cowper
30 Charles Dickens
52 Samuel Johnson
74 Thomas Moore
87 Samuel Rogers

Thanks!

Nemo
OK, I think I've got them right.
Thanks for the section numbers :thumbs:
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote:There are also several sections that have paragraphs in French that you might consider taking on for us. They are marked in the MW.
oh, I didn't check it so much in detail, I only took some authors I found interesting. But yes, you can assign me to the sections containing French as well :) They are all fairly short, so I can manage a few more.

So we are talking about these four, right:

6 Benjamin, Lord Beaconsfield
53 Ben Jonson
101 Arthur Penrhyn Stanley
109 Edmund Waller

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

WiltedScribe wrote:Hi Larry,

I'll reiterate the interest in this project. I like how compact these sections are. :) May I express interest in the following?

Charlotte Bronte
Henry Fielding
John Gay
Matthew Gregory Lewis
Samuel Richardson
Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Tobias Smollett
Laurence Sterne

Many thanks!
I wasn't quick enough to get a couple of these, so they are all yours. Thanks so much :thumbs:
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

just another technical question: are we also reading the footnotes ? There are only 6 in total, but I have half of them in Chaucer, to explain some words. :lol:

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

bluechien wrote:Could I please sign up for any of these that you don't want to do?

Elizabeth Barrett Browning
William Hazlitt
John Keats
Charles Lamb
William Wordsworth
Percy Bysshe Shelley
Leigh Hunt
Thanks, Eva!
I think I have you in for all of the right ones.
~ Larry