[COMPLETE] Practical View of Real Christianity by Wilberforce-tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LillisJoy

Post by LillisJoy »

A Practical View of the Prevailing Religious System of Professed Christians, in the Higher and Middle Classes in this Country, Contrasted with Real Christianity by William Wilberforce (1759 - 1833).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/a-practical-view-of-the-prevailing-religious-system-by-william-wilberforce/
William Wilberforce was an English politician best known for his leadership in the movement to stop the slave trade. He began his political career in 1780, eventually becoming an independent Member of Parliament (MP) for Yorkshire (1784–1812). In 1785, he became an Evangelical Christian, which resulted in major changes to his lifestyle and a lifelong concern for reform. In 1797, after working on the book for four years, Wilberforce published "A Practical View of the Prevailing Religious System of Professed Christians in the Higher and Middle Classes of This Country Contrasted With Real Christianity." In it, he speaks candidly about the differences between true faith and nominal religion. Through a mix of rational argument, personal testimony, and ardent exhortation, Wilberforce calls for a revival of true Christianity in his country. The book proved to be influential and a best-seller by the standards of the day, with 7,500 copies sold in the first six months. It has also been revived several times since, with some updated translations published in modern English. This recording is of the original text.
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/25709
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of A Practical View of the Prevailing Religious System of Professed Christians, in the Higher and Middle Classes in this Country, Contrasted with Real Christianity. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "A Practical View of the Prevailing Religious System of Professed Christians, in the Higher and Middle Classes in this Country, Contrasted with Real Christianity, by William Wilberforce. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of A Practical View of the Prevailing Religious System by William Wilberforce. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of A Practical View of the Prevailing Religious System of Professed Christians, in the Higher and Middle Classes in this Country, Contrasted with Real Christianity, by William Wilberforce. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename realchristianity_##_wilberforce_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. realchristianity_01_wilberforce_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by LillisJoy on February 19th, 2019, 1:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, this is set up.

I did tweak your "second and subsequent section" intro a little; I don't see where this is called "A Practical View of Real Christianity", but I do see the need to shorten the title a bit. So how does "A Practical View of the Prevailing Religious System" sound?

As you're the soloist, you're in charge of updating the Magic Window.

Detailed Instructions for accessing the Magic Window can be found in the document linked here:
Instructions for Soloists

Video showing how to use the Magic Window (read the above document first - it has the information on how to log in for the first time, which this does not have):
Magic Windows / Section Compiler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOP4tcr1kl8

I've entered the first two chapters for you as an example. You can fill in the rest or change them as desired. I assume you're splitting some chapters; let me know if you have any questions about that.

When you upload a chapter, put the file duration (mm:ss) in the Notes field and the uploaded URL into the Listen URL field, and mark it from Assigned to Ready for PL.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Oh, yeah - and before cataloging, we'll need a PD intro. Wikipedia isn't PD; so maybe we can come up with something else on our own. Your DPL (when you have one) might be able to help.
LillisJoy

Post by LillisJoy »

Hi Tricia,

Thanks for setting this up for me. I was definitely wondering what to do about the name. When I looked it up, I discovered recently published editions that have shortened it to either "Real Christianity" or "Practical Views on Christianity." Can we go with the latter without infringing on copyright? (Leave out the "Real" but keep the "Christianity" since that is the only religious system that he talks about.)

Thanks too for the directions on using the Magic Window. I was wondering about that. I didn't realize that Wikipedia isn't public domain. I will work on rewriting the blurb.

Finally, how do you suggest I handle footnotes? Do they get read at all? At the end? Or inline with text?

Thanks again!
Lillis
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I would be glad to serve as your DPL.

There are several options to footnotes.

1. Ignore them all.
2. Read them all.
3. Read some of them.

In this case, I personally would chose the latter. Many of the footnotes are just annotations to references and I think can be omitted. Others contain comments that add substantially to the text. A few are borderline. (The reader decides what to read and what to omit).

If you do choose to read all or some of them, I would read them wherever they least interrupt the flow of the thought, usually at the end of a sentence, but they could be within the sentence if it would make more sense and still sound natural. I usually introduce them by saying, "Note:" and finish with "End note," for brevity, but "Footnote" could be used as well.

So, it is entirely up to you. Just be consistent.

I'll be glad to help you in any way I can along the way, if you accept me as DPL.

(Note to Tricia: I'm cutting back on my recording to do more listening until a get a new set-up in our new place. It will be a challenge.)
~ Larry
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Magic Window sections look good! And I've added Larry as DPL.

I haven't read the work, but from the title and the summary/intro, I'm assuming he's contrasting the cultural Christianity of his day with real, biblical Christianity. So in a way, he is talking about two different religious systems. :)

I'm up in the air about how to do the intros. Would using the more modern title confuse listeners? That title is nowhere in the text, after all, and listeners might think you're using a more modern text. On the other hand, the title is cumbersome, even when shortened a bit.

What Larry said about footnotes. :) If it were me, I'd read the ones that I think would be interesting to the reader (and I do "footnote" "end footnote" either right where the note is called for or after the sentence/paragraph, as long as it's not so far away from the thought that it seems out of place).
LillisJoy

Post by LillisJoy »

Thanks Larry for DPL-ing! And thanks to both for the tips on footnotes. I will take a long scroll through the footnotes and see what they look like and then make a decision.

Yes, the title issue is tricky. We can keep it "A Practical View of Prevailing Religious Systems." It works. The source is obvious.

It's report-card week for me, so I don't think I'm going to get started on this in earnest until closer to New Years. But I'm excited that it's up and ready to go.

Thanks again for the support!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sounds good! Moving this to Going Solo...
LillisJoy

Post by LillisJoy »

Happy New Year, all! Hope your holidays have been fun and refreshing.

Here is the introduction.
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/re ... _128kb.mp3

Do I need to put it in the MW or is that you, Tricia? I have tried to get into BC Admin, but it keeps telling me I don't have permission. Is there something I'm doing wrong? (I tried also from the directions posted previously and no luck.) Finally, I see that there is a "notes" section and I assume this is for track length. Anything else?

Thanks!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You do. :)

Put the link in the File URL field, and the file duration in the Notes field. And change the status from Assigned to "ready for PL".
LillisJoy

Post by LillisJoy »

Great! But when I click on BC login, it says I "don't have permission for this area." What should I do?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

That's because you logged into the uploader using the generic login. There should be a little "logout" link on that "no permissions" page. Click that, then log in using your BC login that you set up when you first got into the MW. (You can use that special BC login for uploading files; then you can go into your MW seamlessly.)
LillisJoy

Post by LillisJoy »

Awesome! It worked!
Thanks so much. :thumbs:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

LillisJoy wrote:Happy New Year, all! Hope your holidays have been fun and refreshing.

Here is the introduction.
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/re ... _128kb.mp3

Thanks!
Glad to see this one underway!
PL OK
~ Larry
LillisJoy

Post by LillisJoy »

And we're off! I finally feel like I'm finally starting to get rolling. I just discovered a couple new techniques for clarifying audio in Adobe Audition. The difference between section 1 and section 2 is amazing to me. Not that the first chapter was bad audio, but chapter two is noticeably (and surprisingly) clearer. So much fun!