Post by Lynnet »

NemoR wrote:Hi Lynne!

Here is a duet from myself and Eva Davis (bluechien):

Author: Robert Frost (1874-1963)
Title: In the Home Stretch
Text URL: http://www.bartleby.com/119/5.html
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cb0 ... _128kb.mp3
Duration: 11:56

Believe it or not, despite having a ton of Frost in the catalog, we don't have this!

Nemo
Thank you
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Would the first chapter of A Study in Scarlet, in which Watson first meets Holmes, qualify for this collection?
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

ColleenMc wrote:Would the first chapter of A Study in Scarlet, in which Watson first meets Holmes, qualify for this collection?
I don't see why not... it's the beginning of a beautiful friendship 8-)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Well, I found one that I thought would work beautifully... But turns out it has a pre-edited length of about 40 minutes. :roll: So I'll save it for the short works collection. In fact, maybe I should just hang on to it for next, I mean, this year's Christmas collection! :lol:
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

mightyfelix wrote:Well, I found one that I thought would work beautifully... But turns out it has a pre-edited length of about 40 minutes. :roll: So I'll save it for the short works collection. In fact, maybe I should just hang on to it for next, I mean, this year's Christmas collection! :lol:
Too bad :cry: I've done that before, but yes, it got included elsewhere. All is not lost... just remember you will have to change the intro/outro.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Hello Lynne.

Here is my contribution

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cb_ ... _128kb.mp3
duration: 4:40
title: Ulysses
author: Alfred, Lord Tennyson (1809-1892)
text link:
http://www.bartleby.com/246/375.html

Mindle--would you please PL this for me?

Many thanks to you both.

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
lannonx23

Post by lannonx23 »

DrPGould wrote:Hello Lynne.

Here is my contribution

text link:

Many thanks to you both.

Philip
Sure will, Philip! Thanks for the opportunity!
-Mindle Hastings
Catalog Page
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Thank you, Mindle. Just one thing...it is customary to wait until the BC (Lynne in this case) posts the file in the Magic Window before you PL. Some BCs complain if you PL too early; others do not. A reason for waiting is that occasionally there are problems with the file that need fixing before you listen to it...and so it saves you the effort of doing it twice.

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Nemo and Eva:

A wonderful reading to start of 2018 and a joy to hear. I have just a couple of tiny things:

At 4:17--there is an extraneous "that" in the line "to know [that] we're going to have her"
At 7:16--there is an extraneous line "i never bore it well..." before "its all so much" (i think possibly a cut-and-paste error

Other than that, the reading was perfect.

Many thanks,

Philip
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

DrPGould wrote:Hello Lynne.

Here is my contribution

text link:

Many thanks to you both.

Philip
Thank you.
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

DrPGould wrote:Nemo and Eva:

A wonderful reading to start of 2018 and a joy to hear. I have just a couple of tiny things:

At 4:17--there is an extraneous "that" in the line "to know [that] we're going to have her"
At 7:16--there is an extraneous line "i never bore it well..." before "its all so much" (i think possibly a cut-and-paste error

Many thanks,

Philip
Hello Philip:

I think the cut and paste error is fixed, thank you! :)

Regarding the that, I would like to see if it is possible to overlook very small deviations that don't affect the meaning of the poem. The reason is, I can't do this type of emotionally colored reading and always get every single "a" and "that" correct. Usually I have a small but often, not significant flaw in a preposition or something as a result of reading with emotional color and not being able to put all the attention on word-perfection. But since it is this kind of reading, it isn't possible to just "re read" out the line in a vacuum and get it to live inside the character as she lived when I originally read it.

Let me know if it would be okay to let the "that" live. If not, I will try but I know the result will disappoint me at least. :D

(PS, if you still hear the extra-line error, it may be that the file is cached in memory and needs a hard refresh or something like that.)
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

bluechien wrote:
DrPGould wrote:Nemo and Eva:

Many thanks,

Philip
Hello Philip:

I think the cut and paste error is fixed, thank you! :)

Regarding the that, I would like to see if it is possible to overlook very small deviations that don't affect the meaning of the poem. The reason is, I can't do this type of emotionally colored reading and always get every single "a" and "that" correct. Usually I have a small but often, not significant flaw in a preposition or something as a result of reading with emotional color and not being able to put all the attention on word-perfection. But since it is this kind of reading, it isn't possible to just "re read" out the line in a vacuum and get it to live inside the character as she lived when I originally read it.

Let me know if it would be okay to let the "that" live. If not, I will try but I know the result will disappoint me at least. :D

(PS, if you still hear the extra-line error, it may be that the file is cached in memory and needs a hard refresh or something like that.)
Stepping in here, adding "that" isn't a problem in prose. In poetry, adding an extra word can throw off the timing... but not always.
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Lynnet wrote: Stepping in here, adding "that" isn't a problem in prose. In poetry, adding an extra word can throw off the timing... but not always.
Hi Lynnet.

I am pretty critical of my work. :) If it were strictly-metered, formal, Victorian-era poetry, a "that" could be more likely to throw off the meter, although it might depend on how it's read.

But I find that a standard of absolute word-perfect perfection is better met by a synthetic text to speech reader and what I try to do is a "living" reading. It still needs to be almost perfect, to be fair to the author, but if that perfection isn't utter, awful perfection (smile), but the piece is still "live," what I really wanted was for it to be "live."

In this case, it's dramatic dialogue and not as sensitive to an extra "that," but Philip is a great DPL who I hope will be around LV for years and years, no pressure though :) and I defer to his opinion, or yours if you feel one way or the other about this line.
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
lannonx23

Post by lannonx23 »

DrPGould wrote:Thank you, Mindle. Just one thing...it is customary to wait until the BC (Lynne in this case) posts the file in the Magic Window before you PL. Some BCs complain if you PL too early; others do not. A reason for waiting is that occasionally there are problems with the file that need fixing before you listen to it...and so it saves you the effort of doing it twice.

Philip
Great to know! I'll definitely wait until the BC puts it into the MW. Thanks for the tip!
-Mindle Hastings
Catalog Page
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

lannonx23 wrote:
DrPGould wrote:Thank you, Mindle. Just one thing...it is customary to wait until the BC (Lynne in this case) posts the file in the Magic Window before you PL. Some BCs complain if you PL too early; others do not. A reason for waiting is that occasionally there are problems with the file that need fixing before you listen to it...and so it saves you the effort of doing it twice.

Philip
Great to know! I'll definitely wait until the BC puts it into the MW. Thanks for the tip!
It's in the Mw, so you're good to go :thumbs: