Hello from a regular listener/new reader

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
gshogren

Post by gshogren »

Hi everybody! I discovered LibriVox just by Googling for recorded editions of classic books. I love the classics and was just so pleased to see so many relevant titles for free. At the moment I am listening to Hobbes’s Leviathan and Calvin’s Institutes, and just finished the Rubaiyat.

I also use Audible.com and log my books on Goodreads, of which I'm a huge fan.

Although I am from the States and work as a professor, teaching in Costa Rica (all in Spanish). I am fairly well-traveled. I have a PhD, and read 7-8 languages.

I read about 75 pages a day: modern lit, history, philosophy, theology, Bible study. I am also an occasional book editor and proofer for a major division of HarperCollins.

My pet peeve = mispronounced words!

I don’t have the most cultured reading voice, but I think I will be able to make a contribution. My main goal is to give something back to a site that has blessed me immensely.

Thanks to all for your contribution to LibriVox! Gary
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

WELCOME! Your intro is very impressive! I found this site from an Attorney that left the corp world to pursue her dreams with audio books. I have gotten involved as it will not be long before my wife of 32 years, will be blind and she loves to read. As far as your voice goes, I hate mine to. I am sure you will be a great asset to this community! :wink:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome, Gary!

So someone does actually listen to Calvin's Institutes! That makes all our work on them worthwhile! 8-)

I hear you about mispronounced words. Some I try to chalk up to regional differences, but some are cringe-worthy. Then I wonder how many I mispronounce myself. :? You don't know what you don't know, you know?
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Welcome at LibriVox, Gary :)
gshogren wrote: I don’t have the most cultured reading voice, but I think I will be able to make a contribution.
Oh, don't worry, the voice will get cultured with practice ;)
Looking forward to your 1-minute-test (of cours you may also do it in one of your other languages if available ;) )