COMPLETE The life and adventures of Michael Armstrong -rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

The life and adventures of Michael Armstrong, the factory boy by Frances Trollope Milton (1780 - 1863).

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/the-life-and-adventures-of-michael-armstrong-by-frances-milton-trollope/

The industrial revolution led to the rise of manufacture and, thus, the cotton mill factories. This important novel tells about the plight of Michael Armstrong, one of the boys who is forced to work there. The aim of the novel was to expose the public to the conditions of thousands of "infant laborers" around the northern mill towns. The novel drew much criticism, of course. Yet, nonetheless, it is a forgotten masterpiece, perfect for fans of Oliver Twist and North and South. It is a brave novel full of truth and honesty, yet probably not for the faint of heart. ( Stav Nisser. )
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/lifeadventuresof00tro
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      Two notes:
      1. The etext is fully accessible, so I can set up the window myself.
      2. people read a page in 2 minutes on average, please multiply the number of pages in 2 in order to get an accurate chapter recording length.

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of The life and adventures of Michael Armstrong, the factory boy. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The life and adventures of Michael Armstrong, the factory boy, by Frances Milton Trollope. [Chapter]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The life and adventures of Michael Armstrong, the factory boy, by Frances Milton Trollope. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      michaelarmstrong_##_trollope_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. michaelarmstrong_01_trollope_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      You may ignore ID3 tags - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    10. Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Rapunzelina
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below or pm me
Last edited by miss stav on December 29th, 2017, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hello, Miss Stav! I hadn't noticed you are starting a new project! Let me MC. I'll go make us a Magic Window and report back soon!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

OK! we have a Magic Window! Let me know if you have problems accessing it!

I have shortened the filename for practical reasons.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Great. Thanks. I will check shortly.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

That's it. The magic window is set.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Very nice!
I think we've stayed in the Launch Pad long enough, so I'll move us to Readers Wanted now!
MamaGeek

Post by MamaGeek »

Hi Stav & Rapunzelina!!!

I'd like to do this one SOLO if that's OK. It sounds very interesting indeed. Mind you I am working on two Solos at the moment but will be able to start this one in about 3 weeks if that works for you. :-) I will not be offended if you prefer to make it a group project. :):)

Thanks!! Celine
Celine
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi Selliene well I had the feeling you would do that. I would gladly give it tuo you, because I thnk it is in the project's best interests. Three weeks is just enough time fto look for a dp and so on. As it is your solo, this is your pace., what ever whorks for yo Have a lot of fun,
Stav.
MamaGeek

Post by MamaGeek »

Allo again!
Sorry to bother you.
Was just wondering if this will be moved to Going Solo rather than Readers Wanted??
Celine
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Yes, now that I have seen the discussion, I can move it to going solo and make the necessary adjustments to the project so that you have access to the Magic Window!

Have fun with the project! If needed, you can advertise for a proof-listener in "Listeners Wanted" forum.
MamaGeek

Post by MamaGeek »

Thank you to you both!!:):)
Celine
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

MamaGeek and Miss Stav, I would love to PL this book, (I have read it). Thank you for asking.
Cheryls :D
MamaGeek

Post by MamaGeek »

Terrific!! Thank you so much Cheryl!

See you soon! :)
Celine
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hello Cheryls! I have added you as DPL, so you should have access to the MW for updating! Let me know if otherwise!

Have fun you two!
MamaGeek

Post by MamaGeek »

Hi Cheryls!!!

Just uploaded 3 sections. I'll add the Preface when I upload new ones. :-) Hope all is good but you know I'm happy to fix anything that isn't!!!!

Take care!! Celine
Celine