Hello Everyone!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
NWWINKLER

Post by NWWINKLER »

I discovered Librivox via my wife, who listened to 'Above Life's Turmoil' by James Allen through Librivox audiobooks, and that audiobook came to her years ago at a desperate time in her life and really got her through some hard times. So my wife is the one who made me aware of Librivox.

I love to read! Just the thought of reading and freshly brewed coffee in the mornings gives me the motivation to get up very early, sometime 3:30am just to read and drink coffee for hours... No joke. Books are kind of an addiction to me... The coffee too :) . Also, I don't have a big circle of friends and tend to be more introverted, so I find that authors of books seem to be my circle of friends sometimes. I feel like I'm spending time socializing with the author, so I don't feel alone and I feel like I have plenty of friends, very wise, creative and various character of friends via authors. So authors are my friends and keep me company, so you could say that reading is therapeutic to me as well.

I currently am a stay at home dad with my son. I previously owned my own consulting business, but my wife made better income than I did, so we chose for me to stay home with my son instead of paying for daycare... it's cheaper and plus we wanted to raise our son instead of paying a stranger to do it. It's very different than the norm where we are from, but it works, and it's our thing. It does take some ego out of the equation on my part, due to the whole stereotype of men being the breadwinner and the wife being the homemaker. But we actually love our situation. I get to be home with our son and do DIY projects and mom's 'to-do' list with our son during the day. (Did I mention I get to read books during nap time :) ) And when she is home, we BOTH get to spend time with our son. Of course we live very simple lives so that we can be a one income family and be more involved with our child. But in so doing, being a stay at home Dad, there are times I feel alone. Because my son is so young as I spend the day with him, I don't have too much company to discuss 'adult' things like books, sports, religion, politics. As I've said, I'm more introverted and I tend to shy away from a lot of people and can't be around high energy crowds. Books really help me keep sane by increasing my capacity to learn, the authors seem to me like company.

I've learned over the years that the subconscious of man can be programmed subliminally via listening, visualization , meditation, etc. so, before I found out about Librivox, volunteering, narrarating, I would actually record myself reading books so that I could play them on repeat while I'm sleeping . Or if I didn't have any light or any energy to read a book, I could close my eyes and just listen to the book. I'm big into podcasts while I'm driving long distances. I have recorded audiobooks for myself just for personal growth purposes. But I'm still a newbie at it all and would like to learn more and be of more use to those in need for audiobooks.

I already try and record books for myself to listen to, and I would love to volunteer to help put out audiobooks for people to listen to for their own reasons.

Also, I was born cross-eyed and near sighted. Ive had to wear glasses all my life and have a lazy eye, so sometime seeing straight is a struggle. I'm very thankful for my vision and my eyes though. Having my eye situation gives me the urgency to listen to audiobooks due to being able to rest my eyes by closing them, listening to the audiobook and visualizing the story and art of the author and what he/she creates and paints with the brush of words and writing. Having this eye issue, allows me to see the need for audiobooks for blind people. I am thankful for the vision I do have, and I am aware of the need for blind people to have total access to audiobooks.

I hope to volunteer to create free audiobooks for the public. I'm a newbie as I've said before, so I will enjoy getting to know you all, newbies and veterans. My desire is to be of great use to those listeners who need and want the services provided at Librivox. I would be grateful to be part of the forum community

Cheers
NWWINKLER
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Hi NWWINKLER,

welcome here :) The first step is the 1-minute-test. As you have recorded before, you will get that in an instant, I guess :)
NWWINKLER

Post by NWWINKLER »

Thank you for the helpful links. It's actually not so easy as I thought it would be. Working on it.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

:thumbs: When you're stuck, let us know, how we can help you :)
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

Welcome! I am glad you are into listening to Podcast. Do you have any desire to do a few as a guest speaker or co-host? If so, check out this thread. Peace Out!