COMPLETE Multilingual Christmas Carol Collection 2017 - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

RomanosMusic wrote:Hi Maria

I decided to put my insomnia to good use

Here is a Christmas Lullaby (Canzone di Natale)
Sung in Italian Full Version

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelin ... rl_128.mp3

taken from this text

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id= ... =1up;seq=6

Length 6:42

Regards
Romano
Oh, I do love Italian carols! I don't know any Italian, but the sound of the singing in that language always reminds me of a family of dear friends who used to sing Italian carols when I was a girl. Your rendition is PL OK -- and very beautiful!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Rapunzelina wrote:Hello, Maria! Your recording is PL OK (apart from the filename, the part that should end with just _128kb, but I can change that before cataloguing)

I have added Alfred Hayes into the database.

Would you like me to pre-claim the cd-cover for this project in your name?

:9:
Ouch! How could I have missed the mistake in the file name!? I copy/pasted a random file name from one of the other contributors, and then simply changed the title and initials, without noticing that the one I copied from had that error. I went back and took a closer look at the other file names, so the other one might also be fixed, and I discovered that there are actually several other files with the same mistake. They are the three files sent in by BookAngel7. Can they also be fixed when you fix mine? I also see that Coventry Carol has an extra "_" in the file name. (As BC, I'm supposed to notice things like that. :oops: Very embarrassed that I missed them all.)

Thank you for adding Alfred Hayes. I've picked him up for that MW entry.

Yes, I think I will tackle the cover. Thank you for thinking of it!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

DrPGould wrote:Maria!

What a beautiful carol! His advent is PL-OK! (Just passing through and saw you needed a pl).

Many thanks,

Philip
Thanks for passing through and for the kind support, Philip! Congratulations on getting your Christmas Short Works project cataloged!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

While PL'ing one of the other carols, I stumbled on this lovely little poem in the same carol book. I couldn't find a tune for it, so I made one up myself. Would someone mind giving it a PL? (And yes, this time I made sure to check my file name!

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelin ... _128kb.mp3

"Pastor Bonus"; words by Alfred Edward Alston (1862-1927); tune made up by myself
Source: https://archive.org/stream/christmascar ... 6/mode/2up
Length: 2:09

Rapunzelina, I couldn't find Mr. Alston in the data base either. Here is his info - http://www.hymntime.com/tch/bio/a/l/s/alston_ae.htm
Last edited by commonsparrow3 on December 18th, 2017, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

wow, Maria, the resulting song is wonderful! and PL OK :)

Don't worry about the filenames! They are easily fixable. I am sorry if I sounded strict. :mrgreen: It was my way of saying that I noticed that it needs fixing.

We should be able to find Rev Alston in the database now! :thumbs:
BookAngel7

Post by BookAngel7 »

Sorry about that, Maria! I think I must have glanced at the previous line which says to export at 128kbps rather than the file name instructions, which clearly say 128kb. :oops:

bookAngel7
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Thanks for the PL, Rapunzelina!
I found Alston and added him to the MW.
Don't worry about the kbps/kb mixup, Book Angel, as Rapunzelina will magically fix it for us!

Note to Rapunzelina: I will try to get as much as possible in order on Wednesday morning, as I don't have to be at work until 11 am that day. But I may not get it all done before I have to leave, and I'll be working until 11 pm that day. The good news is that I do have the entire day off on Thursday -- (yes, the whole day absolutely free! yay!) -- with plenty of time at my disposal. I will declare the collection closed on Wednesday morning, and PL whatever has come in, but it may not be until Thursday that I get around to clearing up loose ends and finally have it ready for you to catalog. I will rearrange the order of the MW to make it alphabetical order after I know everything is in, and also will give you the complete formatted list of songs for the summary at that time.

Note to everybody: I'm going to be out of touch all day Tuesday and won't be back on the forum until Wednesday morning. So don't worry if you submit a last-minute carol between now and then, and you don't hear any immediate acknowledgment from me. Anything that is uploaded in my absence, I will pick up and PL when I get back Wednesday. I will declare the collection officially closed at that time. So send me lots of music to delight my ears when I return!
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Maria:

If an extra pair of ears could help, I'd be willing to PL anything that comes in while you are otherwise engaged.

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

I listened to both of these carols. The Tannenbaum carol is PL-OK.

The "O come all ye faithful" may be. There is a repeat of the word "Glory" in the line "Glory to God; Glory in the Highest at 1:25. I have heard the carol sung that way, but that is not in the lyrics in the original source. It works rhythmically....

Both carols are beautifully sung. It was a privilege to hear them.

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Let's use the one on page 36 of https://archive.org/details/armynavyhymnal00yate
I think the lyrics match, and it's also a book published before 1923 so it's a pd option for sure. Because the other book says published in 1931, and it might not be a safe option.

I have fixed the filenames (I hope I haven't missed any), and put them in alphabetical order with a click of the mouse.
Then added a few more spaces for any late comers :wink:
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Wow! Thank you, both, Philip and Rapunzelina, for taking care of everything for me yesterday!

And thanks, also, Amelia, for your two carols to finish off this year's collection. Even though they were already PL'ed, I listened to them just for the pleasure of hearing them. Lovely!

OK, everybody, that means this collection is now officially closed!

Rapunzelina, I'll have the carol listing for the summary done as quickly as I can, and then I'll hand it off to you for cataloging.
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

thank you everyone! I thought I'd checked the one songbook for PD status but who knows where my brain has been. thanks for helping out, Rapunzelina. I'm excited to see this all catalogued!
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Well, I need to leave for work now, and I've only half-finished the summary. I'm a bit slow at the formatting codes, and also I don't want to make a mistake and copy the wrong author onto the wrong carol! Better safe that sorry. So look for this to finish up tomorrow morning! (We may perhaps consider this an apt lesson in patient Advent "waiting"!)
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Rapunzelina, here is the finished summary. I hope I got all the formatting marks right!
<br />LibriVox volunteers bring you a festive selection of 22 Christmas carols for the 2017 holiday. This year's collection includes traditional favorites and lesser-known selections in English, German, Italian, and Latin. The singers wish all listeners around the world a happy and peaceful Christmas.<br /><br />
<em>Adeste Fidelis</em>; words and music traditional .<br />
<em>Angels From the Realms of Glory</em>; words by James Montgomery (1771-1854); music by Henry Smart (1813-1879).<br />
<em>A Babe is Born</em>; words traditional; music by BookAngel7.<br />
<em>The Boar's Head</em>; words and music traditional.<br />
<em>Child in the Manger</em>; words by Mary M. MacDonald (1798-1872); tune traditional.<br />
<em>Canzone di Natale (Christmas Lullaby)</em>; words and music traditional .<br />
<em>Christmas Once is Christmas Still</em>; words by Phillips Brooks (1835-1893); tune by BookAngel7.<br />
<em>Coventry Carol</em>; words and music traditional.<br />
<em>God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen</em>; words and music traditional.<br />
<em>Good Christian Men Rejoice</em>; words by John Mason Neale (1818-1866 ); tune traditional.<br />
<em>Go Tell It On the Mountain</em>; by John Wesley Work, Jr.<br />
<em>His Advent</em>; words by Alfred Hayes (1857-1936); tune by Joseph Barnby (1838-1896).<br />
<em>The Holly and the Ivy</em>; words and music traditional .<br />
<em>It Came Upon a Midnight Clear</em>; by Edward H. Sears (1810-1876); music by Richard Storrs Willis (1819-1900).<br />
<em>O Come All Ye Faithful</em>; words by Frederick Oakeley ( 1802-1880); tune traditional.<br />
<em>O Little Town of Bethlehem</em>; words by Phillips Brooks (1835-1893); music by Lewis Henry Redner (1831-1908); additional music by Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872-1958).<br />
<em>O Tannenbaum</em>; words by Ernst Anschütz ( 1780-1861); tune by Melchior Franck (1579-1639).<br />
<em>Pastor Bonus</em>; words by Alfred Edward Alston (1862-1927); tune by commonsparrow3.<br />
<em>Silent Night</em>; words in original German by Franz Xaver Gruber (1787-1863); English translation by John F. Young (1820-1885); music by Franz Xaver Gruber.<br />
<em>Good King Wenceslaus</em>; words by John Mason Neale; music traditional .<br />
<em>What Child Is This?</em>; words by William Chatterton Dix (1837-1898); tune traditional.<br />
<em>While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks By Night</em>; words by Nahum Tate (1652-1715); music by George F. Handel (1685-1759).<br /><br />
I have the cover almost ready, just a few more little things I need to tweak. It should be all set by this afternoon.

So I guess that means we are ready to catalog this!