COMPLETE Multilingual Christmas Short Works Collection 2017

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

DrPGould wrote:Ok...here is one in Spanish. I'm told by friends in Central America that this is not "strictly" a Christmas poem, but it is frequently read at this time of year.
I just listened to your poem Philip :) nicely read. It was expressive enough so I could follow along with the text. Did you learn Spanish in school or just out of interest for yourself at home ? Just curious, because I also love to learn languages for myself. LibriVox is a great practice ground :9:

I first thought I found a few missing lines, which needed to be added. Each time they were beneath one of the pictures, that's why you may have missed them. :hmm: But then I noticed, they are probably the titles of the pictures, since they get repeated in the text as well.

So all is PL ok.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Sonia:

Thanks for your PL. I checked the "missing lines" against other textual versions of the poem to be sure whether they were captions or not before I read them...this was the only one in which they appeared...so they were actually captions.

Yes, I learned some Spanish and Russian in school. Growing up in California, it was part of the elementary school curriculum. Then I had a year of college Spanish..and actually used it a little in my early adulthood, but have not used it for awhile. I was reluctant to "give this a shot" because my pronunication is sooo rusty, but I think the piece was understandable, if poorly pronounced and hopefully no one will think I was being disrespectful of the language.

My Russian has degenerated so that I wouldn't even have attempted it, although I do still read the language somewhat (Imperial Russian history is an academic specialty of mine).

I am currently studying Scots Gaelic on my own (the Internet is a great help) for an upcoming reading I'm planning here on Librivox.

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelin ... _128kb.mp3
But Once a Year
by R. O'Grady_
from: The Project Gutenberg EBook of Prairie Gold, by Various
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/39957

A nice little tale with an O. Henry style to it, set during Christmas week in a small city.

R. O 'Grady was the pen name of a Des Moines writer who contributed to earlier volumes of The Midland as well as to numerous other magazines.
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

VfkaBT wrote:https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelin ... _128kb.mp3
But Once a Year
by R. O'Grady_
from: The Project Gutenberg EBook of Prairie Gold, by Various
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/39957

A nice little tale with an O. Henry style to it, set during Christmas week in a small city.

R. O 'Grady was the pen name of a Des Moines writer who contributed to earlier volumes of The Midland as well as to numerous other magazines.
Thanks so much for your contribution. I'll PL it shortly.

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Maria:

Your selections were all beautifully read and PL-OK! I especially enjoyed the "Christmas Carol" in Molly Ryan's story. :)

Many thanks!

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

"But Once a Year" is PL-OK! A timely story, and nicely done!

Many thanks,

Philip
Rosemarie16

Post by Rosemarie16 »

Hi,

I am having technical problems exporting my file. I just recently got a new computer and am having difficulites installing new software. I should have it worked out by the deadline tonight but I was wondering if that is not possible, would I still be able to submit it tomorrow morning?

I apologize for any inconvenience. I am fully recorded and edited and ready to go, I am just unable to export currently :(

Thank you so much,
Rosemarie
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

What kind of difficulties are you having? Maybe we can work it out together. Does it show any message for not exporting? Did you install LAME for exporting to mp3?
Rosemarie16

Post by Rosemarie16 »

Hi,

I was able to work through the downloading of the software. I did download LAME for exporting mp3. I ran the file through the Checker and it comes up that it "Passed with Warnings" which they list as "the volume falls out of the target range". I went back and lowered the gain which usually works but did not this time. In addition, at 1:51 I edited the recording to fix a mistake and merged it. The volume is inconsistent at this point. Is there anyway I can fix that? Thank you so very much in advance.

Link to my recording: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelin ... 128kbs.mp3
Link to text source: https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/visit-st-nicholas
Language: English
Author: Clement Clarke Moore, 1779-1863
Title: A Visit from St. Nicholas
Duration: 03:24

Best Regards,
Rosemarie
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Rosemarie:
WAIT I answered the question before I saw you already posted the file. Let me take a look at the file before you do anything....if it needs adjustment...the stuff I set out after this sentence will work. It may be entirely ok.

This is what I do to get my volume into the target range. (Sounds like the editing went just fine). Run the checker and see what db you are now operating at. Remember that the target is roughly 86-92db. I aim for around 89 myself. So if the checker were to say your file came in at (this is only an example) 93 db...and your goal was 89 db, you would need to lower the amplification by 4 db.

Go to the effect tab in Audacity and click on "amplify" in the drop down menu. A window will open. There is a box that will come up with a place to input a number next to the phrase "Amplification (dB)" Simply type "-4" (or whatever number the checker says you need to get it to 89...if you need to increase the amplification, the number would be above zero). Click ok.

You will need to re-export your file as an MP3. (And I always run the checker again to be sure I am in range.) Then upload the file using the instructions in the first post on the board and you're there. I'll listen to it tomorrow, and if there are any necessary edits, (which I suspect there won't be) I'll let you know.

I appreciate your dedication to the project and I look forward to hearing your reading.

Many thanks,

Philip

PS If you have further question, please don't hesitate to ask.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Rosemarie:

Because of the lateness of the hour and the looming deadline I went ahead on this occasion and adjusted the amplification of your file myself and re uploaded it. (For your future reference, the latest uploaded file is the one which will go in the collection...the previous file is not overridden, but the name is changed. The link in the "magic window" MW is automatically updated).

I ran your file through the checker, which gave me a reading of 76.1 which was really quite low. I was able to use the method I described in my previous post, to raise the amplification to 88.6, which is close enough, without distorting your voice or having it drowning in background noise.

The reading was delightful, and very well done! The file is PL-OK! Congratulations, you made it!!

I look forward to hearing you on more projects here at Librivox!

Many thanks and Merry Christmas.

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Hello everyone!

Many thanks to all who visited this board and especially to those who took time to read sections or otherwise help get this collection together. This was my first effort at doing a collection here at Librivox, and with the help of all of you, I think we've completed a collection which people will enjoy.

Some statistics:

Time to completion: 6 weeks.
Sections read: 29
Number of Readers: 15
Languages Read: 4 (English, Lithuanian, Spanish, Romanian)
Total length of the collection (my math skills are suspect, but this should be close) 4:11:34

Thanks to Rapunzelina, our terrific MC! I wouldn't have attempted this project without her experienced help, counsel, and advice, and thanks for PL-ing me as well! :clap:

Thanks to Kitty, for PL-ing the non-English sections of the collection! Outstanding work! :clap:

Thanks to a marvelous group of readers who were a joy to listen to: Betty B, pschempf, NemoR, Mary Ann Spiegel, Algy Pug, Newgate Novelist, VfkaBT, Michael Maggs, Wilted Scribe, livia, Gray House, k5hsj, commonsparrow3, and Rosemarie16. :clap:

As for me, I'm considering BC-ing this collection again next year. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have to improve the way I do things or even the way the collection has traditionally been run. If someone else wants to take this on, I'd be happy for that to happen, too. There are lots of folks here at Librivox who can do this. Even though this collection is closed, I think this board will still accept posts for a time so you can post any ideas or suggestions here.

For now, I'm going back to my regular job at this time of year.

Ho ho ho! :lol:

Merry Christmas and have a safe, happy and prosperous 2018. (and once again many thanks!)

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Just a quick note....I have been unable to enter author's names for sections 17 (Geoffrey Smith), 20 (James Hain Friswell, 1825-1878), 21 (Octavian Goga 1881-1938), 26 (Brian O'Higgins 1882-1963), 27 (WJ Henderson--possibly William James Henderson 1855-1937), 28 R. O'Grady (know that it's an Iowa pen name, but unable to locate more info)

I think everything else is done, and this collection is ready for your magic touch in cataloging.

Thank you so much for all your help! and Merry Christmas!

Philip
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Cataloguing has commenced!

I will let you know when it's complete to check it together.

Merry Christmas, everyone!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Cataloguing is complete! Total running time shows as 04:11:56, so your math is very close to the catalog's math! :mrgreen:
The recordings are now in alphabetical order based on filename. The missing authors have been entered.

Please take a look at the catalogue page, to see if we missed anything: https://librivox.org/christmas-short-wo ... y-various/
To me it looks fine with the standard check-up I do.