COMPLETE SOLO [17th- and 18th-Century Women's Writing in Verse]-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
thowe

Post by thowe »

17th- and 18th-Century Poems by Women by Katherine Philips (1632 - 1664) and others.

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/17th-and-18th-century-poems-by-women/
This is a collection of seventeenth- and eighteenth-century verse by women, focusing first on women as writers. (Tonya Howe)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): No single online compilation exists
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

START of recording (Intro):
    • "[Poem title] by [Author]. Part of the ____ [school or class name] collection of 17th and 18th Century Poems by Women. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "[Poem title] by [Author]"

END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Poem"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the final poem, say (in addition):
      "End of the ___ [school or class name] collection of 17th- and 18th-Century Poems by Women. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  4. Example filename [titleinafewwords]_[author]_[yourinitials]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) (e.g. authorbook_bradstreet_th_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
Collection contains:
Bradstreet, “The Prologue”
Bradstreet, “The Author to Her Book”
Cavendish, “The Poetess’s Hasty Resolution”
Philips, “Friendship’s Mystery, to My Dearest Lucasia”
Philips, “To Mrs. M. A. at Parting”
Behn, “To the Fair Clarinda, Who Made Love to Me, Imagin’d More than Woman”
Behn, “On Her Loving Two Equally”:
Behn, “The Disappointment”
Astell, "Ambition"
Chudleigh, Melinda’s Answer from The Ladies’ Defense
Chudleigh, "To the Ladies"
Killigrew, “Upon the Saying That My Verses Were Made by Another”:
Killigrew, “To My Lord Colrane”
Finch, “The Introduction”
Finch, “The Circuit of Apollo”
Montagu, “An Answer to a Love Letter in Verse”
Montagu, “Epistle from Mrs. Yonge to Her Husband”
Montagu, “Reasons that Induced Dr. Swift to Write a Poem…”
Barbauld, “The Rights of Woman”
Barbauld, “Epistle to William Wilberforce, Esq. on the Rejection of the Bill for Abolishing the Slave Trade, 1791”
More, from “The Slave Trade”
More, from “The Gin Shop; or, A Peep into Prison”
Wheatley, “To the Right Honorable William, Earl of Dartmouth…”
Wheatley, “To S. M., A Young African Painter, on Seeing His Works”
Wheatley, “To the University of Cambridge, in New England”

All of these poems are in the public domain, whether somewhere on Project Gutenberg, Google Books, or the Poetry Foundation.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Tonya,
I'd be happy to work on this with you as your MC. I'll get your project set up. It would help me if you could post links to PD on-line sources for each selection.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, Your MW is set up. There's going to be some unique aspects to this project, but let's start with the basics and move on from there.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!)

You are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window (MW) and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files. Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.

Please start by entering the title and author for each poem into the Magic Window. I've put in the first couple to get you started.
  • You can drag and drop the sections later if you want to change the order
  • NO DOUBLE QUOTES in section titles. If you want to appear to use double quotes, please type them in as two single quotes. Double quotes will totally mess up the software we use to move the files over to Archive and cause no end of headaches when it's time to finish off the project.
If you have any trouble getting into the Magic Window, please let me know.
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

I could DPL this, if one is still needed.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thank you Kristin. I'm not sure the timeline, so I'm going to move this over to going solo and we'll wait for Tonya to be back to set up the MW.

MaryAnn
thowe

Post by thowe »

I'm going to set up the MW soon--just trying to get the files I already have in correct order. Thanks!
thowe

Post by thowe »

MaryAnne-- My students didn't have the initial blurb that's specific for this project until much later, after the fact. They did use the regular librivox opener, though. Will that be alright? If not, is this something that a different reader could add?

Thanks, again!
Tonya
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

thowe wrote:MaryAnne-- My students didn't have the initial blurb that's specific for this project until much later, after the fact. They did use the regular librivox opener, though. Will that be alright? If not, is this something that a different reader could add?

Thanks, again!
Tonya
Tonya,
I'll take a listen and let you know.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Tonya,

I've started to check the sources you have posted for some of the poems.

Librivox releases all of our recordings into the public domain, and so we need to make sure that we only read from sources that are themselves in the public domain. In the US, that means we must read from texts which were published before 1923. Unfortunately, we will will not be able to accept recordings from texts published by The Poetry Foundation. It's website terms of use state:
Intellectual Property

All of the content featured or displayed on or through the Services, including without limitation text, graphics, photographs, still images, moving images, videos, sound, illustrations, and software (collectively, “Content”), is owned by TPF, its licensors, vendors, agents, and/or content providers, as applicable. All elements of the Services, including without limitation the general design and the Content, are protected by trade dress, copyright, moral rights, trademark and other laws relating to intellectual property rights. TPF reserves the right to track the usage of Content.

Except where it is stated that prior permission to use, download, reproduce, publicly display or reprint Content must be obtained from TPF or other copyright owner, and except with respect to Marks (as defined below), you are authorized to view, play, print, and download Content found on the Sites for personal, informational and noncommercial purposes only. Prior consent to use Content for any commercial purpose (e.g., book publishing) or to use Marks for any purpose (whether commercial or noncommercial) must be obtained from TPF in writing. TPF reserves the right to grant, withhold, or condition such consent in its sole discretion.

You may not modify any of the Content, and, except as set forth below, you may not copy, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, create derivative works from, transfer or sell any Content. You may not remove any copyright, trademark or other proprietary notices from Content.
If someone takes an old poem and republishes it in a new collection (such as The Complete Works of Anne Bradstreet, published in 1981), that new book gets its own new copyright and unfortunately, we can't read from it.

These authors are old enough that you should be able to find a print copy of their poems published before 1923. You might try Internet Archive here: https://archive.org/search.php?query=cr ... dstreet%29 or hathi trust here: https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Search/H ... ge=1&ft=ft

It would be best if we could find a public domain source for each poem before Kristin (MrsHand) proof listens them, that way she can check what the student read against the public domain source, to make sure what was read is the same as the public domain text. Sometimes modern editors/compilers will make changes or corrections, which also give rise to a new copyright claim and are therefore not useable for us.

MaryAnn
thowe

Post by thowe »

Thanks, MaryAnn--

I've made the updates! I had fewer student contributions that were appropriate than I would have liked, and I plan on doing this project again in the future to flesh out the contribution titles. Is it possible to add to a project after the fact, or is it only available to the public once it's entirely complete?

All the best,
Tonya
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Tonya,

The intro you have used fine.

All of your sources are now fine as well.

How soon do you plan to do this project again with your students? We have two choices.
1) leave this open until you have other students record for it, then catalog it when everything is complete
2) catalog what is here now, and then start another project when you want to have more students ready to read.

Once we put it in the catalog, that particular project is done and we don't change it. It might be nice for the students who contributed to see it finished, but if you are going to work on it again soon, then it's not such a hardship for them to wait a couple of more months to see their work splashed all over the internet . . . it's your decision.

MaryAnn
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

I'm not sure if it matters, but the files aren't named after the pattern in the first post. If that's important, then they'll all need changed, even the PL OK files. :)

PL Notes:

Section 1 - PL OK

Section 2 - needs noise removal run to reduce the amount of background noise that's causing an echo. [mas - done. Still has an echo, but can't seem to get rid of it]

Section 5 - needs noise removal run [mas - done]

Section 9 - needs noise removal, and to be amplified 1-2 dB [mas - done]

Section 10 - was read from the Poetry Foundation copy; however, it differs from the Project Gutenberg copy in several locations. I would suggest the entire poem be redone using the Project Gutenberg copy. Here are a few (but not all) of the discrepancies, which aren't just a difference of a pronoun, in more than one case it's several words different.:
  • 00:46 - read "resistance 'tis too late to shew", PG has "resistance 'tis in vain to show"
    00:50 - read "sweat eyes" should be "sweet eyes" (mispronouncation that changes the meaning)
    00:57 - read "and whispering softly", PG has "and breathing faintly"
    01:20 - read " kisses her lips", PG has "kisses her mouth"
    01:27 - read "upon her swelling snowy brest", PG has "upon her melting snowy brest"
    01:50 - read "where rage is tam'd", PG has "where rages is calm'd"
    01:53 - read "That Living Fountain, from whose Trills The melted Soul in liquid Drops distils", PG has "That Fountain where Delight still flows, And gives the Universal World Repose."
Section 11 - PL OK!

Section 12 - noise removal should be run [mas - done]

Section 23 - repeat @ 01:38 - "thou shalt..thou soon shalt find" [mas - done]
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Kristin. I'll take care of the file names once we are ready to catalog.

MaryAnn
thowe

Post by thowe »

Hello, all--sorry for taking so long to reply here. I am doing the project again with new students, and the edits are being made to the earlier poems as requested by the PL. However, I do have one question--the long poem by Behn, "The Disappointment." This is an interesting case, as the poem that was read was the original 1680 poem by Behn, long ascribed to Rochester and even published in a collection of his poetry. I've found a better public domain copy of the poem, here: https://rpo.library.utoronto.ca/poems/disappointment --it explains the content, as well. Will this work for a good PD version? Or should I scrap the reading entirely (the student is no longer available to re-record the specific parts). If the new PD link works, I can update the magic box.

More soon! THANKS for your patience and your help!

Tonya