[COMPLETE]The Hour of the Dragon - by Robert Howard - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

The Hour of the Dragon by Robert E. Howard (1906 - 1936).

This project can be found in our catalog at https://librivox.org/the-hour-of-the-dragon-version-2-by-robert-e-howard/
This is absolutely the best Conan novel ever written in my opinion. It follows Conan, when at the peak of his power as king of Aquilonia, he is overthrown by dark, evil magic from Stygia and turned into a hunted refugee. A 3,000 year old magician from the most evil empire that ever existed is resurrected and with his sinister aid, Conan's enemies cause the barbarian's downfall. The plot twists and turns in wonderful fashion, following the Heart of Arihman, a strange extremely powerful magic jewel from another universe. He fights back as only he can against tremendous odds; beautiful women love and aid him; other beautiful women try to kill him; he travels through many hostile countries; his days as a corsair and pirate are remembered and used; and so, so, much more. This book was a joy to read and it will be a good listen for Conan fans. (summary by phil Chenevert).
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/files/42243/42243-h/42243-h.htm
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    The DPL for this awesome story is RepublicofVermont
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Fantasy Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Hour of the Dragon. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Hour of the Dragon, by Robert E. Howard. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Hour of the Dragon by Robert E. Howard. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Hour of the Dragon, by Robert E. Howard. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename hourofthedragon_##_howard.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. hourofthedragon_01_howard.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Robert E. Howard
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Hour of the Dragon

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: philchenevert
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
RepublicOfVermont
Location: δtsopiaV0175 (ψ-accessible only), μultiverse ΚΣΔ π^-.9

Post by RepublicOfVermont »

I was going to ask Conan about this holiday of his, then again... perhaps not.
WHITE PHOSPHORUS was dropped on Palestine tonight.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Conan took a few weeks off to bask in the sun on the Ophir coast and drink pina colata's from the skulls of his enemies. He also works with the local animal shelters to rescue abused cats and another favorite charity of his is to collect money to buy clothes for those many women he meets who just can't seem to have more than two wisps to wear. But he is back now, rested, tanned and ready for adventure as King of Aquilonia.

Have you heard of the book Radio Free Vermont? I am listening to it now. very interesting!

Chapter 1 is in the magic window. EDIT" whoops, noto quite yet. .... :roll:
OK, it is there now. Little problem with the file name.
RepublicOfVermont

Awwwww. Conan is so very good a person. Why most (?) people are unable to see that is beyond me. I bet he even donates every skull he fashions into bowls to his favorite rescue organizations, all chosen only after inspecting each and every one. And of course he personally shuts down the ones he finds that he finds to be subpar, bringing every single animal home with him whether cat, dog, snake, or any humans who obviously have no honor and are thus used for Conan's skull-bowls. You see, Conan's powerful reasoning skills are mostly self-taught, save for the time spent with Hērákleitos, who himself was self-taught and greatly respected by Conan. And I always knew he had more respect for women than any man alive, so his clothing foundation makes perfect sense. A question, though - does he also enjoy walks in the rain?

Yes, I know of the book. I fully support Vermont leaving the U.S., the sooner the better. We actually have the support of pf some established countries; Denmark comes to mind, though I know there are others. We've had talks with Quebec regarding their own desire to leave Canada and possible relations we would then establish. Anyway, I'll add a couple of links to actual Second Vermont Republic talks/discussions recorded around decade ago. Be back in ten minutes or so; gotta dig 'em up.

Then, obviously, I begin enjoying hearing of Conan's latest journey. :mrgreen:
RepublicOfVermont

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Chapter 2 is ready.
EDIT: Conan does not enjoy walks in the rain. But he likes sunsets and the beach and puppies.
RepublicOfVermont

Awesome! Chapter 1 is Vermont Grade A Conan! :clap:

Edit: I don’t like that song either, btw. Barry Manilow(sp?).

Edit 2: removed "puppies! yay!" since who doesn't like puppies? I fear for those who do not... rather, I'd just enjoy watching Conan slay anyone who'd abuse puppies.
Last edited by RepublicOfVermont on December 12th, 2017, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RepublicOfVermont

Chapter 2 PLOKD! I hope Conan now sees the true price of empire.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Chapters 3 and 4 are up. Magic does Conan in .... but wait! he lives! things just get weirder. (and in chapter 5 a girl appears ... Gasp!) :shock:
RepublicOfVermont

Ahhhhh nust what I was hoping for - a number of chapters to take in while the snow falls outside. One of many perfect ways to spend the day. Thank-you :)

Magic often causes him trouble. I often wondered why Conan never took it upon himself to learn how to defend against supernatural evil using a sort of magic based Aikido. Call it Conikodo. It was designed by Conan as a way to instinctively redirect magic based attacks using the attacker's own energy/force so that Conan could use it without actively thinking about using it. That allowed him to use his conscious mind for the fighting style he's known for. If that makes sense.

I'm going to eat, hang out with my dog for a little while this afternoon. Then hang oit with her more listening to these chapters awaiting me. Then spend more time with my dog. Enjoy your own day, Phil!

EDIT: The girl. Good thing Conan has a fresh supply of clothes to give away to anyone in need! :D
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Some more chapters up. The editing has been going very welll.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

3-6 PL OK.
1:37-1:38 delete repeat, "Amalric"
1:41-1:42 delete "those"
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

7:09 delete repeat, "though he..."
9-11 PL OK.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Thanks. Hope you are enjoying the story. Chapters 7 an 8 have been fixed and uploaded again.

Can you follow the story, or did you need to listen to the first two chapters? It is not very uh.... deep. :D
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

7-8 PL OK.

I listened to the first two chapters. It's a fun story