COMPLETE[PLAY]The Twin-Rivals by George Farquhar - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

The Twin-Rivals by George Farquhar (1677 - 1707).

"This comedy was produced at Drury Lane on December 14, 1702. It is the most accurate of all Farquhar's productions. The plot, though improbable, is well constructed and sustained, the dialogue lively and entertaining, whilst the characters of the Younger Wouldbe, Mrs. Mandrake, and Teague are so naturally drawn as to appear real personages, dependent little upon the art of the actor or the imagination of the author for their creation." (Critic Alex. Charles Ewald) <br> <br>Note that there is an attempted rape in the play, which gets downplayed - the woman even partially blames herself, saying "this late adventure has taught me how dangerous it is to provoke a gentle man by ill usage." However -- and surprisingly considering this is from 1702 and not 2018 -- the epilogue then provides an apology to women, and a reminder that this is just a play -- and a comedy at that -- and that we shouldn't take the actions too seriously, but with a grain of salt. It's entertainment, not so much a social commentary (TJ and ToddHW)
This project is complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-twin-rivals-by-george-farquhar/
  • "Plot, though improbable,..." it says in the summary. Ha!

Gender neutral as always. Kitty is again our wonderful DPL.

I was recently asked by a reader for advice on how to act as a particular character. My answer: “I very honestly leave choice of accents and characterizations in any part up to the reader. One of the key pleasures of running a play here at Librivox is finding out what the various readers have decided is right. Usually some unexpected things, and always different than I had originally pictured the play on stage myself. So that the completed play is not my vision of what should be, but a truly new and exciting collaborative creation.”

1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/stream/dramaticworksedi02farquoft#page/n12/mode/1up
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: yMYijHlS
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (George Farquhar) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Farquhar
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 63
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1702
        ============================================

Genres for the project: Plays

Keywords that describe the book: farce

============================================
      • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
        Channels: 1 (Mono)
        Bit Rate: 128 kbps
        Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
      • Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
        [Role], read by [your name]. Say all the words that are in the MW title for your character.

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of The Twin-Rivals, by George Farquhar. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
      • AFTER recording
        Save files as 128 kbps MP3
        twinrivals_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the act number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
        • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
          (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: toddhw
        • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
        • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
        Please post below
Thanks, Todd
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I'd like to give Benjamin Wouldbe a try, as per Sonia's suggestion. If she thinks I can do it, well, I will do it! :)
Tomas Peter
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Now to play a REAL villain. :D

Could I put my hand up for the role of Subtleman the Attorney, please.

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Okay. It may take me a while to post both your claims - I’m on an iPad rather than my usual computer and I am not very up on how it actually works....

Thanks, Todd
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Could I please claim Constance?
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

May I claim Balderdash, a Vintner, please.

TY,

Nemo
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

The Midwife calling in to DPL and plot schemes :twisted: Looking forward to this role. And I'm happy to see that I'll be in good company :mrgreen:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you all.

Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

Could I please read Aurelia?
TJ
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote:Could I please read Aurelia?
TJ
yay TJ, thanks for joining the cast again :9: I guess Todd is absent till this evening...so I'll sign you up meanwhile.

Sonia
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

May I claim Mrs. Clearaccount, Wife to Clearaccount?
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Vintner Balderdash for PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/twi ... dash_1.mp3

Length is 4:10

Nemo
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

here's the first act of Despicable Me :mrgreen: oh my, 9 minutes of such hypocrisy, I felt dirty in the end. I decided on a more raspy voice, since the good woman is in her trade for over 40 years already, I figured she should sound older and more worn-out. I especially like when she switched to her real face in the end of the act :twisted: She is definitely not the poor caring woman she pretends to be.

I hope you like my characterization, Todd:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/twi ... rake_1.mp3
Recording time: 9:00 min.

Now I need to try to keep that up for the next acts :?

Sonia