Magic Window

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

How difficult would it be to allow the MW to be resized?

How difficult would it be to allow sorting by column?

Why is it called "Magic Window"?
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
Cori

Post by Cori »

Very.

Very.

Great question! My theory is that it is a 'window' onto the database where the important information about a project is stored, and it's 'magic' because before they were developed, we did all that by hand -- the BC had to edit all updates manually into the first post, and frankly, having this wonderful, simple box appear, and be easily manipulable by all the relevant people, IS magical. A real life application of Clarke's Third Law.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Bearing in mind that any changes will not happen soon, we are always interested in long term ideas , so why do you think it would help ?

Anne
realisticspeakers

As a reader, if I sign up for a number of interspersed sections out of 100 or more, I can quickly sign in, sort, and recall, "oh yes...I have sections 3, 22, and 84...not 23".

The resize would merely be a luxury to also see the added column of "date assigned" :wink:

I would imagine a listener and coordinator may also benefit.

So, according to Lesson 1 of The Montgomery Scott Guide To Project Management Skills
we could expect a beta before Christmas?

"Magic, Miracles...same thing" - someone
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Coordinators and DPLs can sort the columns when they're in the workflow (I'm 99% sure of this; there's the 1% chance it's an MC feature only, but I'm pretty sure it's available for BCs at least, also.)

Have you seen this? https://librivox.org/sections/readers/5872 There's all your assigned sections and their status for in-progress projects. (The PL view is for DPLs.)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
realisticspeakers

TriciaG wrote: Have you seen this? https://librivox.org/sections/readers/5872 There's all your assigned sections and their status for in-progress projects. (The PL view is for DPLs.)
oh wow!
Disclaimer:
kayray

Post by kayray »

We called it a Magic Window because it looks like a window. :P And before we had it, we typed out everything by hand -- so it really was a magical time-saving addition to our workflow!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

realisticspeakers wrote:
TriciaG wrote: Have you seen this? https://librivox.org/sections/readers/5872 There's all your assigned sections and their status for in-progress projects. (The PL view is for DPLs.)
oh wow!
So problem solved and improved on :D
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

:hmm: Are you sure we want an improved problem??

:mrgreen:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

TriciaG wrote:Coordinators and DPLs can sort the columns when they're in the workflow (I'm 99% sure of this; there's the 1% chance it's an MC feature only, but I'm pretty sure it's available for BCs at least, also.)
Yes we can! I discovered this feature once by accident - I clicked on it and the whole MW resorted itself! I panicked for a moment until I realised that the Section numbers were still the same, so I only had to sort "by section number" to put it all back!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Definitely a "one more grey hair" moment :D

Anne