COMPLETE] Half a Century by Jane Grey Swisshelm-dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Half a Century by Jane Grey Swisshelm (1815 - 1884).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/half-a-century-by-jane-grey-swisshelm/
In the spring of 1850, while the United States was polarized over the slavery debate and Daniel Webster was negotiating the compromise of that year, the outspoken abolitionist, feminist, and journalist, Jane Grey Swisshelm (1815-1884) unleashed a congressional sex scandal. Frustrated by what she saw as the Massachusetts senator's surrender to the Southern Slave Power, she published an article alleging Webster's marital infidelities with women of color. As a result of the media storm that followed, Swisshelm lost her job at the New York Tribune. This is but one of the many episodes found in her 1880 autobiography, "Half a Century," which is a narrative of the frontier, of the fight against slavery, and of Swisshelm's fearless, compassionate, and innovative work as a surgical nurse treating Union soldiers who had suffered the most terrible wounds of war. (Pamela Nagami, M.D.)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/halfcentury00swis
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/War & Military; *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography; *Non-fiction/Family & Relationships; *Non-fiction/History /Modern (19th C); *Non-fiction/Law; *Non-fiction/Medical; *Non-fiction/Political Science; *Non-fiction/Social Science; *Non-fiction/Religion

Keywords that describe the book: slavery, feminism, Civil War, Daniel Webster, abolitionists, Fugitive Slave Law, Jane Swisshelm, rights of women, bloomers, frontier life, hospital gangrene, sexual coercion

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • " Chapter [number] of Half a Century. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Half a Century, by Jane Grey Swisshelm. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Half a Century by Jane Grey Swisshelm. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Half a Century, by Jane Grey Swisshelm. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename halfacentury_##_swisshelm_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. halfacentury_01_swisshelm_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: craigdav1
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by pnagami on June 2nd, 2018, 5:56 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Newgatenovelist has kindly consented to DPL this project.

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

I'll set this up for you.
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thank you, DaveC!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Pam,
If you see anything that needs fixing, just let me know.
Dave
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thank you. I will.

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Please note, the misspelling of “visiter” in relation to Swisshelm’s newspaper is intentional.

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Bring it on, baby!

Erin
Off LV 25-28 March.
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Welcome aboard, Erin!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

As everything is moving along without any glitches, I'm going to move this book out of the Launch Pad to keep it tidy. Going Solo!
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Excellent, DaveC,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Corrections to MW entered per the wonderful Newgatenovelist!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Erin,

Chapter 1 is up:

09:23

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/ ... _128kb.mp3

Thank you again for taking on this project!

This is my first recording on the new Audacity 2.2.1, which I downloaded yesterday. If you download it as a replacement to the old program, it retains all your old settings, except the particulars on exporting mp3 files. Wikipedia tells you how to reset them properly and it is not difficult. As a precaution, I made notes of all my old preferences and settings, but so far, I have not had to make use of them. The new program is faster and more streamlined.

My best,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Hi Pam,

Don't thank me, because I ought to be thanking you! This opening chapter already has me gripped. What a remarkable woman she's turning out to be, and after only ten pages, too.

One note, at 4.44-4.48. It's the bottom half of page 9, the start of the paragraph:
To me, no [heard my] childhood was possible under the training this indicates...

Thank you for the heads up about Audacity. It's comforting! Whenever there are updates I try to avoid doing it at the last minute (not an issue in this case), but I also usually give it a bit of time, too. I usually assume that the website is swamped with people downloading immediately after release, and that, well, sometimes there are a few kinks to be worked out of the system. That's probably inevitable when you suddenly have thousands of users road testing a new version! As for this month, I've been deliberately holding off until I've finished recording a number of sections for my open solos. On the very slim chance there were any audible changes, I didn't want it to be too obvious moving from one poem/chapter to the next that my setup had changed. But soon I shall venture forth, fortified by the knowledge that at least it hasn't pole axed you...
Off LV 25-28 March.
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Erin,

I will fix. Thanks!

Yes, so far, so good.

You just hit record or "r'" to continue recording from the end--it doesn't start a new track, like before, so that's good. You can also hit pause and then unpause to continue recording, but I always stop with the space bar, so this new keyboard shortcut is good for me.
To make a new track for splicing in, you hit shift+r.

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson