[COMPLETE] Countess of Lowndes Square by E. F. Benson-tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

The Countess of Lowndes Square, and Other Stories by E. F. Benson (1867 - 1940).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-countess-of-lowndes-square-and-other-stories-by-e-f-benson/
A collection of fourteen short stories, grouped under the headings of "Blackmailing Stories", "Spook Stories", "Cat Stories", "Crank Stories", and "General Stories". From the preface: "[S]uch readers as are in search merely of the lighter...aspects of life, will be able to avoid like poison so innocent-looking a title as "The Countess of Lowndes Square," for surely they would not find therein the fashionable descriptions of high life which they might reasonably anticipate, but would merely cast the book from them in disgust, when they discovered that one who had been the wife of an Earl, and ought therefore to have known ever so much better, belonged to the most contemptible of the criminal classes." (Devorah Allen)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/countessoflownde00bens
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of The Countess of Lowndes Square, and Other Stories. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Countess of Lowndes Square, and Other Stories, by E. F. Benson. [Genre, such as Cat, Spook, etc] Stories. Chapter [number]. [Chapter title]." For example, "General Stories. Chapter 3. In The Dark"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Countess of Lowndes Square, and Other Stories, by E. F. Benson. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      countessoflowndessquare_##_benson_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. countessoflowndessquare_01_benson_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it, along with the total running time in mm:ss, in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by mightyfelix on January 14th, 2018, 2:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'd like to DPL, please.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you, Tricia! I will fill in the MW tonight or tomorrow.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

MW is set up. Ready for Readers Wanted!

EDIT: Wait... Maybe not. Some of these stories may need to be split up. Give me a bit longer to double check the length.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, now I'm ready! I'm only splitting one story.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving to Readers Wanted!
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
jblankenship83

Post by jblankenship83 »

I'd like to read section 6 - General Stories, Chapter 3: In the Dark
Jesse Blankenship
nannerscan

Post by nannerscan »

Hello,

I'd like to tackle Section 2 and 3. This will be my first recording and my name, Savannah Cannon, can be used in the catalog.

Are we encouraged to share these final recordings on our personal blogs?

Savannah
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you, Jesse and Savannah!

Jesse, I have assigned you section 6. Enjoy!

Savannah, I will hold sections 2 and 3 for you, but please complete your one-minute test before you begin recording. The test is just to make sure that your tech settings are all where they need to be. Instructions for this are included in the welcome email you got when you signed up. (However, I remember reading somewhere on the forums that the welcome emails were not being sent out temporarily due to a software update we recently did. So, in case you didn't get it, here is some information you may find useful.)

And to answer your question, YES, you are absolutely encouraged to share these or any other LibriVox recordings with anyone you like. However, we ask that you wait until after the entire project is complete. While we're still working on it, the recordings will be kept on a smaller server that can't handle a lot of traffic. But after all sections are done and the book has been put in the catalog, you can put the link to it anywhere you want. :)

Thanks again to the both of you, and let me know if you have any questions!
ZechariahRaman

Post by ZechariahRaman »

Hello,

I'd like to start with the Preface (Section 0).

This is my first recording. I'm quite fine with being known on LibriVox by my name - Zechariah Raman - or if that's too long, just Zac Raman (no 'k' at the end of Zac). Here's my 1 Minute Test.

:?: If you assign me, please check whether this starting and ending is right:
"The Preface of The Countess of Lowndes Square, and Other Stories. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org. Recording by Zechariah Raman, Mysore. The Countess of Lowndes Square, and Other Stories, by E. F. Benson. Preface.
I have divided...
...E. F. Benson.
End of Preface."

I'm new and happy to accept any correction. :D
My First Contribution: Preface of The Countess of Lowndes Square, and Other Stories by E. F. Benson
Most Hilarious Contribution: 'Young fellow' in Chapter 13 (3:47-4:35) of Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hi, Zechariah! Welcome to LibriVox, and welcome to this project! I see that your one minute test has been approved, so you are ready to go! I will assign you to the Preface, and the length of your name will certainly be no problem at all. As to the introduction and closing, they should be exactly as you typed. :thumbs: Please let me know if any other questions arise. I look forward to hearing it!
ZechariahRaman

Post by ZechariahRaman »

Ok, here it is...

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/co ... _128kb.mp3

:?: I feel the volume is louder than it should be while I'm reading. Or is that the way it should be?

I was not as free flowing in my reading as I could be. The language style - older English I guess - is a bit different from what I usually read. :|

Ready to make any needed corrections. Please also suggest how I could be better... :)
My First Contribution: Preface of The Countess of Lowndes Square, and Other Stories by E. F. Benson
Most Hilarious Contribution: 'Young fellow' in Chapter 13 (3:47-4:35) of Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
JFensk

Post by JFensk »

Hello there! I'm interested in reading for

"Spook Stories, Chapter 1: The Case of Frank Hampden"

If it's not too much trouble, I'd actually like to thread from Chapters 1 through to 4 as well, but only if you can't find any others to fill the slots (can't be greedy now, can we?)

Feel free to use my full name in the Catalog (Jerrod Fenske) if you'd like. Let me know if that's OK, and I'll get started right away!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ZechariahRaman wrote:Ok, here it is...

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/co ... _128kb.mp3

:?: I feel the volume is louder than it should be while I'm reading. Or is that the way it should be?

I was not as free flowing in my reading as I could be. The language style - older English I guess - is a bit different from what I usually read. :|

Ready to make any needed corrections. Please also suggest how I could be better... :)
Wonderful job, Zechariah! :clap: The volume is spot on, and your reading was clear and crisp! (If you haven't already downloaded it, you can go and get checker to check on your own volume.)

As to the style, it certainly can be difficult if you're not used to it. Some of the sentences seem to go on and on forever, or words may be used in different ways than we use them now (don't get me started on the verb phrase "to make love to"). But if you stick around, you'll probably begin to notice it becoming easier and more natural, since almost all of the books we record are older than 1923. :lol: If I come across a sentence that seems stilted to me, or a phrase I don't understand, or I just lose the author's point somewhere along the way, I will often go back and read the sentence again, after picking it apart a little to get to the basic meaning of it. Sometimes I'll even do a little on-the-spot research to find out what was meant by a word or phrase. I've found that, if I fully understand what I'm reading, it's easier for a listener to understand what I'm saying. And then of course, you can cut the first take out during editing.

Again, really nice job! Feel free to pick up another section if you see one you like! :thumbs: Lastly, when you submit the link to your upload, you'll also need to submit the length of the recording in mm:ss. Don't worry about it this time, as I went and found it, but remember in the future that it's very helpful for your BC (book coordinator--in this case, me! :D ).