COMPLETE [PLAY] The Gamester by Edward Moore - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

why aren't you in bed yet Tomas ?

ok I didn't check the MW before replying, sorry. I didn't know you created special sections for this case.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

unclejoe wrote:I'm done with Bates.....
all right, just listened to it all. Excellent playing, yet again :thumbs: In the beginning Bates is kinda threatening, like the ruffian he is supposed to be. He subtly changes throughout the play, and I am curious how this whole play will develop. Chris will be pleased to hear that you did not "growl" too much with your voice. That leaves him the growling part of the team :mrgreen:

I didn't find any errors or missing lines. So all Acts can be marked PL ok. Acts 1, 2 and 4.8. are a bit below the standard volume, but this will get amended in the editing process anyway.

> Only one thing missing is the voice credit: “Bates read by Joe....” Could you please insert this at the beginning of Act 1. I'll mark that one PL notes for the moment, to keep as reminder.

Thanks, and I hope I hear more from you in the future :9:

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

RobBoard wrote: I ran an automated process on the audio to replace long pauses with about a 1.5 second snatch of clean audio, but it's possible that in one or two places the gap was deleted entirely. Whoops.
Hi Rob!

How do you run an automated process to replace long pauses with clean audio? (Are you using Audacity?) Does it also clean loud breath intakes? I've been doing this manually, much to the chagrin of my time management efforts... :wink:

TJ
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

benderca wrote:
RobBoard wrote: I ran an automated process on the audio to replace long pauses with about a 1.5 second snatch of clean audio, but it's possible that in one or two places the gap was deleted entirely. Whoops.
Hi Rob!

How do you run an automated process to replace long pauses with clean audio? (Are you using Audacity?) Does it also clean loud breath intakes? I've been doing this manually, much to the chagrin of my time management efforts... :wink:

TJ
I use an old version of Audition and I don't know if it is possible in other programmes. You can set it to remove silence (you can specify what volume counts as silence) if it lasts for too long (you can specify how long is too long).

In practice, it tends not to work for removing breath intakes because these are usually sufficiently loud to count as non-silence. I only use it if I am recording stage directions, because I tend to leave a long space between lines and it takes ages to scroll through all that silence. I am sure it could be useful in other situations, but I am not very good at tweaking the settings.
Rob Marland reader section | website
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thanks, Chris! :) I already have a feeling Sonia is going to love PLing those. :mrgreen:
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

:lol: this is excellent. Tomas is totally right, I highly enjoyed the listen. So that's how you go pitbull on some wannabe muggers at night ;) I wouldn't want to meet Dawson in a dark alley. Even though, in the end he seems to have a softer heart, when the women are crying.

So Tomas, you need to step up your game to play the convincing boss of this gang of low-lives. :mrgreen:

Dawson: PL ok

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Okay, that was fairly weird. :shock:

Had a dream last night. It involved Rigadoon from Farquhar's "Love and a Bottle", and this current character of Dawson.

Rigadoon was speaking his Dancing Master's lines, but with Dawson's voice.

I hope tonight is not second-house, with Dawson trying to heavy people using Rigadoon's voice. :help:

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
unclejoe

Post by unclejoe »

Thankyou! Added Bates read by Joseph Tabler in the first (Act 1) file.
Will do what I can when I have time...always a good thing to do!
Kitty wrote:
unclejoe wrote:I'm done with Bates.....
all right, just listened to it all. Excellent playing, yet again :thumbs: In the beginning Bates is kinda threatening, like the ruffian he is supposed to be. He subtly changes throughout the play, and I am curious how this whole play will develop. Chris will be pleased to hear that you did not "growl" too much with your voice. That leaves him the growling part of the team :mrgreen:

I didn't find any errors or missing lines. So all Acts can be marked PL ok. Acts 1, 2 and 4.8. are a bit below the standard volume, but this will get amended in the editing process anyway.

> Only one thing missing is the voice credit: “Bates read by Joe....” Could you please insert this at the beginning of Act 1. I'll mark that one PL notes for the moment, to keep as reminder.

Thanks, and I hope I hear more from you in the future :9:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

unclejoe wrote:Thankyou! Added Bates read by Joseph Tabler in the first (Act 1) file.
whoops this file has the wrong bit rate (192 instead of 128 kbps) could you reupload with the correct settings please ?

The voice credit is otherwise fine

thanks

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Here is Narrator 1 with added preface for spot PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gamester_narrator_1.mp3

FYI: I first accidentally uploaded the file to Todd's folder because I had the uploader already open for another project. Sorry!
unclejoe

Post by unclejoe »

sorry... uploaded at proper rate

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gamester_bates_1s9.mp3 1:18
thanks!
Kitty wrote:
unclejoe wrote:Thankyou! Added Bates read by Joseph Tabler in the first (Act 1) file.
whoops this file has the wrong bit rate (192 instead of 128 kbps) could you reupload with the correct settings please ?

The voice credit is otherwise fine

thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RobBoard wrote:Here is Narrator 1 with added preface for spot PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gamester_narrator_1.mp3
FYI: I first accidentally uploaded the file to Todd's folder because I had the uploader already open for another project. Sorry!
:lol: force of habit, I suppose :mrgreen:

Rob, the preface is textually totally ok and beautifully narrated (loved the underlying chuckles here and there), but the bitrate for some reason is only 96 kbps :hmm: Strange that the same thing happened to Joe yesterday. Usually the bitrate settings in Audacity should be saved unless manually changed.

Could you reupload once more with the correct bitrate please ?

Thanks
Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

unclejoe wrote:sorry... uploaded at proper rate
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gamester_bates_1s9.mp3 1:18
thanks!
thank you Joe, now it's PL ok.

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Kitty wrote:
Could you reupload once more with the correct bitrate please ?

Thanks
Sonia
Act 1 re-uploaded at proper bitrate.