COMPLETE [PLAY] The Gamester by Edward Moore - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
benderca

Post by benderca »

I see the only role left is Lewson. I'd be happy to read it. I do have a tenor in my repertoire. I recorded the first scene he's in to see how it sounds and it definitely is deep enough to offer a contrast to Sonia's voice. I don't know whether it would contrast with Eva's role. I could post a sample if you'd like to hear it.

TJ
Last edited by benderca on November 27th, 2017, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thank you, TJ! Since the role is gender neutral, I don't mind if you read it. :) And it's up to you as to how you wish to perform---you can read in your normal voice, or you can deepen it to make it more masculine. Though perhaps don't use artificial means to do so, as it may sound unnatural. :P
Tomas Peter
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

I'll pitch up a bit, I do that a lot. :D

Based on your Bullfinch I personally think your Lewson will be magnificent :thumbs:
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

That leaves Dawson with only one direction to go. :twisted:

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
benderca

Post by benderca »

WiltedScribe wrote:Thank you, TJ! Since the role is gender neutral, I don't mind if you read it. :) And it's up to you as to how you wish to perform---you can read in your normal voice, or you can deepen it to make it more masculine. Though perhaps don't use artificial means to do so, as it may sound unnatural. :P
Excellent! Thanks, Tomas. I do love a challenge!

bluechien wrote:I'll pitch up a bit, I do that a lot. :D
Based on your Bullfinch I personally think your Lewson will be magnificent :thumbs:
That would be great, Eva! Your narration voice is about the same pitch as mine, I noticed -- so if you go up and I go down, we should have a nice contrast! :clap:
And thanks for the compliment! Bullfinch was actually a pitch up for me -- I don't know why, but attempting to go British always sends my voice up (I think it has something to do with Monty Python :lol: ). Although, I did former chorus-girl, Lady Orreyed, American and she also had a much higher pitch than my natural voice -- I was going for an airy Marylin Monroe - ha!

I think I'll go American for Lewson too. I was thinking something in the lines of a brooding, young Humphrey Bogart. :D .

SonOfTheExiles wrote:That leaves Dawson with only one direction to go. :twisted:
Cheers,
Chris
Ha! Yes, indeed, Chris!
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

OK, here is the narrator. I did a couple of takes on a very few lines, so you have a choice about whether to include the character's name. There were a few instances where I wasn't sure what would work best.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gamester_narrator_1.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gamester_narrator_2.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gamester_narrator_3.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gamester_narrator_4.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/gamester_narrator_5.mp3
Rob Marland reader section | website
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Wow, that was quick! :shock: Thank you for your expediency, Rob! :D

When Sonia checks your files, she'll tell you if you've missed anything, or need to make changes. :thumbs:
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RobBoard wrote:OK, here is the narrator. I did a couple of takes on a very few lines, so you have a choice about whether to include the character's name. There were a few instances where I wasn't sure what would work best.
thanks Rob, usually I think we handle this, if the stage directions are at the beginning of the speech, the name is mentioned, while if it's inside or at the end of the speech, it's omitted, since the audience knows who it is supposed to do this.

That said, I think we can leave all your versions in, and Tomas can pick and choose, as you said.

I can mark Acts 2,3,4 and 5 PL ok.

For Act 1 I have a question to Tomas:

> at 0:18: Preface: nobody seems to be assigned to that. Tomas, do you want the narrator to read this or do we leave it out altogether ? :hmm:

> at 0:27: you don't say any characters' names here, but I think our readers will do their voice credits anyway. I'll make extra sure each of them hands one in :mrgreen:

Nicely narrated, sometimes with appropriate emphasis :thumbs: well done. Only little drawback is that at times you really don't leave much editing space for Tomas. (most notoriously in Act 4 at 2:13 :shock: ) But I think Tomas will manage this time. No need to reupload with extra spaces. (It did spin my head around to PL this though, as I was really rushed through. :help: )

Thanks Robb ! And let's wait for Tomas' answer on the Preface before you do anything.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I wasn't sure if we usually read Prefaces for dramas. Maybe because we don't usually have them? :lol: Well, I'll leave it to Rob: if he has time, he can insert it at the beginning of Act 1, but if not, then we can leave it be. For completion's sake, maybe it would be nice to include it, but I won't make it mandatory.
Tomas Peter
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks, Sonia,

I ran an automated process on the audio to replace long pauses with about a 1.5 second snatch of clean audio, but it's possible that in one or two places the gap was deleted entirely. Whoops.
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

(Rob, let me know if you'd like to record the Preface; I'll mark your Act 1 file PL OK if you choose not to, but if you do, remember to make a note of it here so Sonia can do a final PL).
Tomas Peter
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

WiltedScribe wrote:(Rob, let me know if you'd like to record the Preface; I'll mark your Act 1 file PL OK if you choose not to, but if you do, remember to make a note of it here so Sonia can do a final PL).
Yes, I will. I just read it and it's quite amusing! I like it when a playwright apologises for how bad the play is.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

unclejoe wrote:I'm done with Bates.....he has several scenes in Acts 4 and 5 and I made separate Files for each Scene......(I can stick them back together if you wish......It was easier for me to tell where things were this way. )
thank you Joe, I will PL soon. But yes, could you please paste all the lines from one act into one file ? You can record them in chunks if that's easier for you, but put them in one file before you upload. That's less confusing in our MW, where we have one slot per character per act.

In the first post, underneath the MW you can find the usual structure for naming your finished file:
gamester_[role]_[#]_128kb (so in this case gamester_bates_4_128kb for Act 4 for example)

Thanks

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Dang, I was supposed to reply a few hours ago and it slipped my mind. :shock: Yes, Joe, our protocol here is to have all lines within an act in one file. It may be easier for you to do it by scene, but it's actually much harder for the person PLing your work, as they have to juggle between more files than is necessary.

What I did before forgetting to write a post is to link the scenes for Acts 4 and 5 in the MW. If Sonia finds errors, she will indicate which scene(s) has/have PL notes in red. If there are errors, then I'd prefer if you combine the scenes---even the ones needing no corrections---into one file after you make your corrections. But if they're all OK, then I can work with the way things are now. In future, however, please abide by our standard method. :)
Tomas Peter