[COMPLETE] The Works Of Robert G. Ingersoll, Vol 10 - LEGAL -pc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks Michele. I knew how to pronounce Ouray because I have visited there several times, although it has been some years ago.

Sure, go ahead and sign me up for sections 8 and 9.
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

This Ingersoll Project has been very enlightening to me.
I am happy that my meager talents were allowed to take part.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Roger wrote:Thanks Michele. I knew how to pronounce Ouray because I have visited there several times, although it has been some years ago.

Sure, go ahead and sign me up for sections 8 and 9.
Yeah! You are in for 8 and 9, and that's another chapter down!
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote:This Ingersoll Project has been very enlightening to me.
I am happy that my meager talents were allowed to take part.
Not only allowed, but encouraged to take part, Bill. Now there are only 15 openings left, so step right up, don't be shy, help yourself if time permits. I've never read a trial transcript myself before this project and it does seem to bump around a lot more than a normal speech or book chapter -- but you've done a good job expressing Ingersoll's lines and keeping the subject matter intelligible.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

I have received no notices of posting to this group for several days - since LV was "down for maintenance".
Has anyone else noticed the same e-silence?
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote:I have received no notices of posting to this group for several days - since LV was "down for maintenance".
Has anyone else noticed the same e-silence?
Yes, There is a discussion on this topic going on at this link in the Need Help, Got Advice forum. The admins are asking members to let them know if we are having problems.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=68299
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Thank you for the feedback, Michele - both on the lack of feedback and on my participation. You are kind and generous. Without your urgings I would never have become acquainted with LV.

It's too bad that there isn't some sort of Annual Convention of the LV flock at which we could all get acquainted face-to-face.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote:Thank you for the feedback, Michele - both on the lack of feedback and on my participation. You are kind and generous. Without your urgings I would never have become acquainted with LV.

It's too bad that there isn't some sort of Annual Convention of the LV flock at which we could all get acquainted face-to-face.
Annual Convention? Like Star Trek? and The Walking Dead? That would be fun. I'd do my best to attend a U.S. Gulf Coast regional event. I have no idea if this topic has ever come up.

Not sure what you mean by "lack of feedback". Have I been remiss in helping you?
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

YOU??
No, I was referring to the lack of feedback FROM LIBRIVOX on postings in groups to which I am subscribed.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote:YOU??
No, I was referring to the lack of feedback FROM LIBRIVOX on postings in groups to which I am subscribed.
The admins are trying to figure this out. As of this moment, I am not receiving emails on any of the forums I am subscribed to either. I am able to check on recent posts by going to my User Control Panel and hitting Subscriptions, which shows me the latest posts. Click the little letter next to the name of the sender to get to the latest post.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Section 8 uploaded and posted:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenev ... _128kb.mp3

Time: 35:37

Thanks! :D
msfry

Post by msfry »

Roger wrote:Section 8 uploaded and posted:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenev ... _128kb.mp3

Time: 35:37

Oh, goodie! Will listen later today, once the construction crew quits banging around installing my new water heater!
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 8
7:30 It was only to prepare, I hear It was not only to prepare, delete not
34:43 declaration, I hear desposition

My Ingersoll BS meter is registering "thicker and deeper" on this one, I think. Talk about stretching! In fact, I was called in for jury duty last year on a first degree murder case. The test question was whether I could ignore all things known about the defendant's prior crimes and convictions. I said "probably not", so they let me go.

"Everything in this world is true in proportion that it agrees with human experience; and you can safely say that everything is false or the probability is that it is false in proportion that it is not in accordance with human experience. Other things being equal, we act substantially alike."

"Every fact in this world will fit every other fact—just exactly. Not a hair's difference. But a lie will not fit anything but another lie made for the purpose—never. It never did. And finally, there has to come a place where this lie, or the lie made for the sake of it, has to join some truth, and there is a bad joint always. And that is the only way to examine testimony. Is it natural? Does it accord with what we know? Does it accord with our experience?"
Roger

Post by Roger »

I hear what you are saying. I just bear in mind that: 1)This was 19th century legalese; and 2) These are closing arguments, generally intended solely to sway a jury, and rarely objected upon. So he can basically say whatever he wants to, whether "factual" or not, just to get his point(s) across to a jury of farmers, salesmen, shopkeepers, etc.

Anyway, section 8 has been patched up and re-uploaded. Ready for a spot PL.

msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 8 is PL OK.