[COMPLETE]World's Story 1: China, Japan, Islands of the Pacific - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

The World’s Story, Volume I: China, Japan and the Islands of the Pacific, edited by Eva March Tappan.

This project is now complete!
All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this https://librivox.org/the-worlds-story-volume-i-china-japan-and-the-islands-of-the-pacific-by-eva-march-tappan/

This is the first volume of the 15-volume series of <i>The World’s Story: a history of the World in story, song and art.</i>, edited by Eva March Tappan. Each book is a compilation of selections from prose literature, poetry and pictures and offers a comprehensive presentation of the world's history, art and culture, from the early times till the beginning of the 20th century.

Topics in Part I include China, Korea, Japan and the Islands of the Pacific. (Sonia)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/worldsstoryhisto01tapp
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: special

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History ; Poetry; Historical Fiction; *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works; *Non-fiction/Philosophy

Keywords that describe the book: Japan, China, Korea, Pacific islands, historical essays

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • For long sections, use the full Librivox disclaimer / For short sections, use the abbreviated LibriVox disclaimer. I will note down the sections which need the full disclaimer in the MW.
      • Full disclaimer: “Section [number] of China, Japan and the Islands of the Pacific. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org
        If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
        Say:
        “The World’s Story, Volume I: China, Japan and the Islands of the Pacific, edited by Eva March Tappan. Section [number]. [Title] by [author]” (as stated in the MW)
      • Short disclaimer: "Section [number] of China, Japan and the Islands of the Pacific, read for LibriVox.org by [your name]. [Title] by [author] (as stated in the MW)

END of recording
        • At the end of the section, say:
          "End of Section [number] This recording is in the public domain.
        • If you wish, say:
          "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
        • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
          "End of The World’s Story, Volume I: China, Japan and the Islands of the Pacific, edited by Eva March Tappan."
        There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
      • AFTER recording
        Need noise-cleaning?
        Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
        128 kbps MP3
        worldstory_volume01_###_tappan_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is the section number (e.g. worldstory_volume01_001_tappan_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.

• Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
          (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kitty
        • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
        • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
        Any questions?
        Please post below
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

This is the first book in a 15-volume series about the entire World History. Many sections here are very short, so I think it would be a great start for beginners, but there are also longer sections for our seasoned readers. This is not a dry history book but the excerpts that illustrate the World’s history, art and culture are all taken from literature, so I expect it will be fun.

We will start with the first volume and I seriously plan on doing them all. (fingers crossed I survive that long :mrgreen: )

Special notes for this project:

1) There are two stage plays (Sections 31 & 100) in this Volume which we will act out with a full cast. See MW for details and roles.

2) I would like to have the editor’s footnotes included, as they are very interesting in itself. Just put them after the sentence of the footnote marker, wherever you think it fits well. Say: “Footnote - [read footnote] - End of Footnote”.

3) Section 56 has some musical notes as example for Chinese music. I would like this section to be claimed by someone who reads music and could hum or “la-la” the tune where it appears.

4) I also decided to include the explanations to the illustrations, as they also present interesting facts about the history or culture of the country. Interested listeners can always check in the book to see the illustrations. Please check MW for details, how to read the title. (include the line "photograph, page xx")

5) As there are many very small sections, I will use the abbreviated disclaimer for those, like in the poetry projects, otherwise the intro is longer than the text proper. I'll note down in the MW where to read the long disclaimer. All sections under 3 pages long can use the short disclaimer.

This should be all. I will DPL this myself, as I am very interested to learn all about some of those countries I am not that familiar with so far.

As soon as I have my Magic Window complete, the project will be open for interested readers. :)

Sonia
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Yay! :9:

I would love to claim section 47, The tiger and the monkey, by Unknown. I will claim more sections later. :thumbs:
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SaraHale wrote:I would love to claim section 47, The tiger and the monkey, by Unknown. I will claim more sections later. :thumbs:
hi Sarah :D welcome aboard. Yes, I thought you might like these short legends :9: I'll sign you up, thanks !

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

May I sign up for 6-20? Glad to be back in touch. Jim
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote:May I sign up for 6-20? Glad to be back in touch. Jim
wow thanks so much Jim :9: I'll sign you up right away. Looking forward to hearing all these interesting tid-bits.

Sonia
adonis

Post by adonis »

Hello there, Sonia! Might I claim 50 The Soul of the Great Bell, please? Thank you.

Tony.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adonis wrote:Hello there, Sonia! Might I claim 50 The Soul of the Great Bell, please? Thank you.
Tony.
hey Tony :) nice to hear from you. Are you back from Paradise ? :mrgreen:

Of course, you may have Section 50, thanks so much for joining the project. The more the merrier.

Sonia
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Hi Sonia, what a cool project!

May I claim the following please:

In section 31, the role of the Emperor
Section 90
Section 93
In section 100, the role of the Rector

Thanks!

Nemo
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
adonis

Post by adonis »

I have been to Hell and back and I have the librivox catalogue to prove it.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume01_050_tappan.mp3

Length: 14:53

Sincerely,
Tony Addison.

P. S. Winter's Tale going well.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah another one of my drama group has arrived :9: Hi Nemo ! glad to see you in here.
NemoR wrote:Hi Sonia, what a cool project!
you can't believe how happy I was when I found this gem. And the great news is, this is only the first of 15 volumes !!!! This will take us some time. So looking forward to that.
May I claim the following please:
In section 31, the role of the Emperor
Section 90
Section 93
In section 100, the role of the Rector
the Emperor, eh :wink: not starting small here, I see.

All right, I sign you up for all of those sections. Thanks, and have fun

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adonis wrote:I have been to Hell and back and I have the librivox catalogue to prove it.
:shock: that was quite a feat :thumbs: glad you can relax in here a bit now :)
thank you, you're the first contribution in here :9:
P. S. Winter's Tale going well.
I'm glad to hear that. Haven't checked it out in a long time... (but did we expect anything less ? :mrgreen: )

Sonia
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Here's another of yours, Kitty. :) Can I please take Lady in 31, and Curate in 100?
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

bluechien wrote:Here's another of yours, Kitty. :) Can I please take Lady in 31, and Curate in 100?
I was hoping you'd show up soon Eva :9: Thanks !

Oops, Eva, I just read the play more in detail, and I notice that the Lady and the Princess must be one and the same. Is it ok for you to play the entire role ?

Sonia
catharmaiden

Post by catharmaiden »

I'd like to visit the head-hunters of Borneo :mrgreen:

Sandra