[COMPLETE] The Works Of Robert G. Ingersoll, Vol 10 - LEGAL -pc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

I have just now uploaded Ingersoll sections 20 and 21

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/rgingersollvol10legal_21_ingersoll_128kb.mp3 37:39
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/rgingersollvol10legal_20_ingersoll_128kb.mp3 30:14

Awaiting your comments after you've cast your pearly Peepers on them.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks Bill. Will PL Joe first, then you. I got sidetracked by family business, then my birthday! Now it's crispy cool outside, and I'm ready to settle in and listen.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 19

I did not find this section, nor your reading of it, dry! It is full of Ingersoll's pithy lines. Like this one:
Nothing so pleases a man who has made up his mind to tell a lie as to have mixed with the mortar of that lie one hair of truth. It is delightful to smell the perfume of a fact in the hell-broth of his perjury."

I agree this court transcript may not be as showy as his written lectures, but it shows Ingersoll's genius in keeping hold of so many threads throughout a very long case.

OK, on with my notes:

Please read this verbatim for your Intro:
Chapter 4, Part 5 of The Works Of Robert G. Ingersoll –Volume 10, Ingersoll’s CLOSING ADDRESS TO THE JURY IN THE SECOND STAR ROUTE TRIAL), Part 5 of 24. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org." Read by [your name], Part 5.

Begin the address.
2:25 Why, in comparison with that cheek . . . brass is a liquid! "Cheek brass" run together makes no sense. I added the punctuation to demonstrate, it's a very funny line!
3:28 I would not convict, I hear convince
4:12 Mr. Ingersoll, I hear Ingle-sol
4:43 this is not enough, I hear this is enough (not is missing)
8:44 until he saw him here, I hear there.
9:12 repeat "he has refreshed"
12:15 gentlemen of the jury, I hear court.
14:09 5 seconds of silence
17:22 repeat "it is"
18:03 stumble "he swore that to that", delete first "that"
25:36 repeat "and asked protection of the man he had endeavored to betray. That is what he did. He again asked Dorsey to stand by him."
27:26 and the yet, delete the to read "and yet"
31:59 so that I can swear to it." I hear you can
32:42 repeat "I think that was the truth."
33:29 stumble Bos Mr Bosler

Also, checker reads your volume at 85.4, below the range LV accepts. Optimum range is 89, so if you amplify your corrected project by +4, that should do it.

Additionally, there are a great many 1.5 to 3 second pauses between words or phrases that should be tightened up (most likely the result of scanning ahead a few words before saying the words). As I edit my work, I have to take out a bunch of these myself. Adjusting spacing generally occurs during my third pass. If you use Audacity, I presume you are aware of the ZX keystrokes, to find zero crossings before delete (avoiding an POP in your audio track). Let me know if you need help with editing.
unclejoe

Post by unclejoe »

Thankyou Michelle! The Cheek Brass, I couldn't figure out.... And yes, this will give me a chance to practice using the Z key.
unclejoe

Post by unclejoe »

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/rgingersollvol10legal_19_ingersoll_128kb.mp3 38:22

uploaded with edits....cut spaces out etc.

was previously 40:07 ......so down a lot :>)

(edit) Forgot to check the volume...did so.....it was low.....amped it up some....then it was Stereo (how did that happen?)......solved that.....then it passed the Checker......still a shade low on volume, but it passed, so I am leaving it alone. :>)
aloha,
joe .t
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 19
Much improved pacing! I can now hear Ingersoll's humor come through in your voice. Thank you, and good job with those edits!

Alas, the volume at 85.2 falls below LV's requirements. I can fix that in a jiffy, upload, and mark you PL OK. Just say the word.
unclejoe

Post by unclejoe »

Great! Thankyou! (the jiffy fix OK)
The checker passed it once, or maybe that was another file......whatever.....This is my first file for Librivox in a couple years about. :>)

Happy to be back. When time permits will be doing more.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Section 7 has been uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/rgingersollvol10legal_07_ingersoll_128kb.mp3

40:57

That catches me up to date.

Thanks. :)
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
unclejoe

Post by unclejoe »

Excellent! Glad to see this being done. Ingersoll is special!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Roger. Will PL soon. I've been without power for two 2 excruciating days, going to the library briefly each day for a Wi-Fi connection, just to get the basics done! It appears Entergy is changing out a pole up at the main road, taking 3 gigantic cranes to get the job done and men in helmets running around everywhere, just 2 days before Thanksgiving. No warning. No stove. No refrigeration. No light. No internet. What timing!

I will cook my turkey and my dressing on time. I will not be frustrated. I will not be frustrated. I will not be frustrated. I will be thankful for my many blessings.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

I tried to upload Ingersoll 21 but received the following message:
Error The upload destination folder does not appear to be writable.

Explain, Please.

Thanks
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

I have uploaded Ingersoll 21 again with volume levels slightly modified:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/rgingersollvol10legal_21_ingersoll_128kb.mp3 37:31
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 21 is PL OK

What a confusing mess Ingersoll had to untangle, to wit: "he swore that he swore wrong when he swore that he wrote those words." And in some cases, especially towards the end, he seems to be deliberately scrambling the jurors' minds. I marvel that you could read it, Bill. Good job!

But isn't this quintessential Ingersoll: "you are not allowed to pick the raisins of truth out of the pudding of perjury."
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote:I tried to upload Ingersoll 21 but received the following message:
Error The upload destination folder does not appear to be writable.

Explain, Please.

Thanks
Sorry I have no explanation. Maybe something to do with the routine maintenance that was going on. At any rate, it seems to be working now.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Roger, I lost my PL Notes on Section 6. Will have to find them or re-listen. Coming soon.

Section 7 is PL OK.
How did you know to pronounce Ouray correctly . . . . u-ray? Good going!

Only 8 and 9 to go. Might I interest you in completing this chapter, Roger? You are doing such a splendid job. :thumbs:

To all participants on this project:
I found this youtube video, A Visit with Robert Green Ingersoll, that discusses the Star Rouge Trials. I found it quite interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFLts8HJBwM 58:47