COMPLETE[PLAY]The Cabinet Minister by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

kwpapke wrote:Here's my first go at Valentine White, Act 1:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cabinetminister_valentinewhite_1.mp3 4:24
Kurt, I knew you'd be great in this role 8-) You put the right disdain in your voice for all things ceremonious and upper-class. :thumbs: The contrast to Tomas' Brooke will be so great in your dialogue together. And I can't wait to hear you confronting Leanne as Imogen in the next acts to come LOL

I particularly loved when you talked about South Africa, Mexico and Bolivia...somehow I have this image the real Kurt would feel right at home there too. :mrgreen:

excellent job, thanks for taking on this role. PL ok

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
kwpapke

Post by kwpapke »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah now we are seeing a different side to sneering Valentine. In the beginning he is still quite nasty to Imogen, but then when she brings the marbles, your voice changes palpably into some softer tone. :9: Excellent touch. I think this dialogue with Leanne will be quite great later on assembled.

All lines in and PL ok. Thanks !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I look forward to hearing this!

Thanks, Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

Well, I actually recorded the first couple of acts ages ago, before everyone had posted their sections. Now I realize that we have 3 or 4 variations on the pronunciations of Imogen, Euphemia, and Egidia.

I'm the only one who says Imogen with the emphasis on the second syllable. Should I change it? Although the dowager is the type of person who might pronounce your name however she sees fit whether you like it or not... :wink:

Dowager, Act 1:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cabinetminister_dowager_01.mp3
Last edited by benderca on November 28th, 2017, 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks.

Do not change the pronunciation. As you say, the Dowager might say it whatever way she wants. So might other folks.

Thanks, Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

ToddHW wrote:Thanks.

Do not change the pronunciation. As you say, the Dowager might say it whatever way she wants. So might other folks.

Thanks, Todd
Sounds like a good philosophy! Thanks!
TJ
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote:I'm the only one who says Imogen with the emphasis on the second syllable.
I have never heard this pronunciation before, but it sounds like something the old Dowager would say :lol:

Speaking of age....you managed so well to make your voice sound more "aged" in this role. So well done. She really sounds like an upper-class snob. What a difference from Lady Orreyed :mrgreen: Excellently portrayed :thumbs:

also: no errors or missing bits. All perfectly PL ok. Looking forward to the rest.

thanks

Sonia
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: I have never heard this pronunciation before, but it sounds like something the old Dowager would say :lol:
I'd never heard of the names Imogen, Euphemia, or Egidia before I started recording, but I looked them all up. Now, however, I don't know where I got my pronunciation of Imogen with emphasis on the middle syllable -- when I looked again yesterday I found mostly emphasis on the last syllable... and Kurt says it with emphasis on the first syllable. Ha!
Kitty wrote: Speaking of age....you managed so well to make your voice sound more "aged" in this role. So well done. She really sounds like an upper-class snob. What a difference from Lady Orreyed :mrgreen: Excellently portrayed :thumbs:

also: no errors or missing bits. All perfectly PL ok. Looking forward to the rest.

thanks

Sonia
Thank you so much! You are too kind! :D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote:Now, however, I don't know where I got my pronunciation of Imogen with emphasis on the middle syllable -- when I looked again yesterday I found mostly emphasis on the last syllable... and Kurt says it with emphasis on the first syllable. Ha!
I also stress it on the first syllable. Probably comes from playing Imogen in Shakespeare's Cymbeline, not too long ago :mrgreen:

Sonia
kwpapke

Post by kwpapke »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yay, more Valentine. It's always interesting to hear what parts of the world he is seeking out next. :mrgreen: I wonder whether he can really settle down with Imogen in the countryside. :hmm: They probably roam the world together now.

Excellent acting again, and the whispering in Act 3 is done awesomly well :thumbs: Act 3 is PL ok immediately.

For Act 4 I have a few notes though:

> at 0:48: “where there is reality and sincerity. [With IMOGEN’S hands in his.] And I have found it” – can you leave a bit more editing space to put in the stage directions here ?

> at the end: missing two “Everybody”-lines: “What’s the matter?” and “Oh!” At this point Valentine is also on stage so he might as well be included in there

that's all. Great job, Kurt. Thanks

Sonia
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

leanneyauyau wrote:https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cabinetminister_imogen_3.mp3
Finally done! Sorry for the wait.
super Leanne, well better late then never :)

I loved this performance ! especially the writing of the letter in the beginning. You really convey the hurt of this young woman. And the scene with Valentine WILL be great, I'm sure of that now. I had the treat to listen to your dialogue partner only this morning, so it's quite fresh in my memory.

Excellent job. Only: 2 group sentences missing (sorry):

at about 4:12: please insert:

> ALL [With various expressions of disgust.]: “Ugh! that man!
> GROUP [Quietly to the shooters.]: “Good-bye

thanks

Sonia