[COMPLETE] Barry Lyndon by William Makepeace Thackeray - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mb

Post by mb »

The Memoirs of Barry Lyndon, Esq. by William Makepeace Thackeray (1811 - 1863).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-memoirs-of-barry-lyndon-esq-by-william-makepeace-thackeray/
A picaresque novel, first published as a serial in Fraser's Magazine in 1844 as The Luck of Barry Lyndon, about a member of the Irish gentry trying to become a member of the English aristocracy. Thackeray, who based the novel on the life and exploits of the Anglo-Irish rake and fortune-hunter Andrew Robinson Stoney, later reissued it under the title The Memoirs of Barry Lyndon, Esq.

In 1975, Stanley Kubrick adapted it for his film Barry Lyndon, since widely regarded as one of the finest films ever made (I'll improve this later!) (mb, adapted from Wiki)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4558
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): as close to wordperfect as anyone cares to get, please!

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Memoirs of Barry Lyndon, Esq.. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Memoirs of Barry Lyndon, Esq., by William Makepeace Thackeray. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Memoirs of Barry Lyndon, Esq. by William Makepeace Thackeray. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Memoirs of Barry Lyndon, Esq., by William Makepeace Thackeray. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename memoirsofbarrylyndonesq_##_thackeray_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. memoirsofbarrylyndonesq_01_thackeray_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

MB!!! Good to see you!

I'll mc and DPL, if I may. I'll set up the mw tomorrow.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
mb

Post by mb »

Thanks very much, Tricia!

This may take a while.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No problem!

You're set up. A couple notes:

1. Feel free to shorten the title in the file name. "barrylyndon" for the title is probably enough.

2. Please add the _128kb to the end of the file name, as noted in the template.

3. ID tags no longer needed; they're pulled from the database and the section title in the MW.

4. All files can have the 5 second tail; longer files don't need 10 seconds like they used to.

I think that's it. Have fun! 8-)
mb

Post by mb »

Great, shorter filename it is - thanks again.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/barrylyndon_00_thackeray_128kb.mp3
8:39

Here we go! Thoughts on the smallest things, especially sound quality, gratefully accepted.
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

I'm delighted that this novel is being recorded! Good luck with the project, and know that you have one eager listener when you're done!

Erin
Off LV 25-28 March.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 0:

Volume is at 85 dB; needs to come up about 4.
(I ran compression at settings -15 threshold, -40 noise floor, and 3:1 ratio, and then amplified it by 4.5 dB, and that seemed to work fine.)

Other than that, I don't really have any suggestions!

Moving to Going Solo...
mb

Post by mb »

Newgatenovelist wrote:I'm delighted that this novel is being recorded! Good luck with the project, and know that you have one eager listener when you're done!

Erin
Thank you, that's lovely of you to say! I know this book deserves a much better, more Irish reader than I, but shockingly it still hasn't been done - it helps me to think of this as a stopgap until a better version comes along. :)
TriciaG wrote:Section 0:

Volume is at 85 dB; needs to come up about 4.
(I ran compression at settings -15 threshold, -40 noise floor, and 3:1 ratio, and then amplified it by 4.5 dB, and that seemed to work fine.)

Other than that, I don't really have any suggestions!

Moving to Going Solo...
Thanks, Tricia! Amplified version is now up, 08:37.

Audacity didn't seem to want to let me compress and amplify without excusing some minor clipping that I couldn't hear. I'll be more careful about tiny sibilance and plosives from here on, but if you wouldn't mind giving it a quick check at the new volume, just in case...
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Well, now it's up over 92 dB. :lol: I don't know how that happened.

There's a plugin for Audacity that will tell you how much to amplify your recordings.
- Click THIS LINK and save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere.
- Then go to the folder in which Audacity is installed (on my Win7 computer, it's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Audacity) and open the Plug-Ins folder.
- Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
- Start up Audacity and go to Analyze/Manage.
- Find ReplayGain in the list and enable it.
- Now you can highlight your recording, then go to Effects / ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get it around 89 dB. Generally, if it's anywhere plus or minus about 2 dB, you won't have to change anything.
mb

Post by mb »

Sorry about that!

I think it's better now. I hope. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Perfect!

No worries. 8-)
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

mb wrote:I know this book deserves a much better, more Irish reader than I, but shockingly it still hasn't been done - it helps me to think of this as a stopgap until a better version comes along. :)
I think you've just described almost verbatim the conversation I have with myself in my head before I start most projects. I'm just doing this because no one else has - yet.

It's good to see Thackeray working his way into the catalogue. So many of his contemporaries have had so many talented interpreters read their work, but poor Thackeray hasn't had as much attention. I'm glad you're (temporarily, of course!) rectifying that!
Off LV 25-28 March.
mb

Post by mb »

Hi!

Apologies for the delay - here goes nothing!

Chapter I
Part 1
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/barrylyndon_01_thackeray_128kb.mp3
36:32

Part 2
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/barrylyndon_02_thackeray_128kb.mp3
31:16

There might be some fluctuation in mic placement here - please feel free to let me know if things sound (too) weird. I think the volume should be okay.

Thanks so much!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yay! I've got a fairly busy day today; I will hopefully get to these late this afternoon/evening.

BTW, I enjoyed your segment in the community podcast. When I first jumped into reading for dramatic works, you were one of the folks I looked up to. 8-)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sections 1 and 2 PL OK!

I did hear some volume fluctuation, but nothing bad enough to worry about.