Sad news about my father Andy Minter

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

I am so very sorry for your loss, Dave.

Your father's voice was one of the first I listened to here and I always enjoyed his recordings very much. He was a wonderful volunteer and very pleasant to work with. I will miss him.

My condolences to your family.
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

So sad to hear about this. Your dad was a great interpreter of Arnold Bennett's works.
Condolences.
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

So sad to hear this.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Andy - except through his readings, which made one feel as though one had been invited to his home, given a cup of tea and allowed to settle into a comfortable chair while Andy told a story in his inimitable and beautifully-paced style. A wonderful man and a great artist.

Apart from the many readings he made for Librivox he also made a wonderful recording of A Shropshire Lad for Rhapsodize Audio:
http://reverberance.org/?page_id=494

In a way, April is not such a good month for Librivox. In the past three years we have lost:
April 2015 - Denny Sayers
April 2016 - Lars Rolander
April 2017 - Andy Minter
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Claire »

My deepest condolences to Dave and all of Andy's family and friends.

Like many others here, Andy was one of the first people to welcome me to
LibriVox in early 2007. He was a joy to work with on projects and I loved
to hear him narrate.

He will be sorely missed.

Lee Ann
dcminter

Post by dcminter »

Thanks for your kind thoughts.
kayray wrote:Dave, would you please tell us what year Andy was born so that we can add his birth and death years to his catalog page?
My father was born in November 1934 in the Black Country though you might not guess it from his accent.
Please make sure that your friends and family know how much Andy was loved and valued here at librivox.
Thank you, I will do and have already passed this link on to my brother and his family. It's a nice thought that my father's voice will be around for as long as there are those who appreciate it.

Dave.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Dave, my condolences to you and your family. As a Lancashire reader, I was greatly influenced by your dad's brilliant reading of the Lancashire Witches when I first joined Librivox. As has already been said, he was also a great interpreter of Arnold Bennett.

If anyone would like to remember Andy by reading or PLing a short chapter from a Bennett book, please head over to viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64985&p=1342599#p1342599.

Phil Benson
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

My deepest condolences.

Andy's voice always brings a smile to my face whenever I encounter it in something I am listening to.

I am especially fond of The Three Christmas Masses from The Christmas Short Works Collection 2008, which is part of my regular Christmas listening.
So little space, so much to say.
carteki

Post by carteki »

Sorry for your loss. I have loved listening to your father's recordings and they have lulled me to sleep (in a good way!) on many a night.
Even though he is no longer with you, you can be sure that he will live on in his recordings and listeners will continue to click on his name to find other recordings of his to listen to well into the future.
Kim
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I really enjoyed his project "The Secret Garden". I am very sad to hear this. Prayers for your family.
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

Dave, Thank you for letting us know that your father has died and for telling us a little about him. It is wonderful to hear that he was really the person he sounded like. He sounded like a good person with a great sense of humor. His readings are some of my favorite books, or is it, my favorite books he read. He was a good thing in my life.
My deepest condolences. Cheryl Stewart
harpinthecloset

Post by harpinthecloset »

I missed seeing this thread, but I am very sad to find it now. Andy's recording of Prisoner of Zenda is what got me on the road to being a LibriVox (and audiobook in general) fan. Such a beautiful voice. I am glad we can continue to listen to it even though he is gone.
Jael
PajamaTop

Post by PajamaTop »

I am sad to find this thread too. As it was for harpinthecloset, Andy's recording of The Prisoner of Zenda was my first LibriVox book, and it was Andy's reading in particular that hooked me. I followed that immediately with Rupert of Hentzau. So for me, Andy Minter *was* LibriVox for a while, and he is still my favorite reader. I listen to The Prisoner of Zenda probably about once a year, mostly for the familiar comfort of listening to Andy read to me until I fall asleep. A few days ago, I searched LibriVox for a reading of Zuleika Dobson. When I heard the voice of "Termin Dyan," I knew that it was Andy (and a second look at the name revealed the anagram). I was overjoyed to find fresh delights to explore under his other name, but grief-stricken to learn from this thread that Andy will be reading no more in this world.

Thanks to chocoholic for the links to the podcasts. I so agree with Andy about accents!
madcappe

Post by madcappe »

Your father's voice lives on. There it is, soothing and cozy, with a hint of humor and the feeling that we are all in it together. For me, it has cheered up so many days that might otherwise have been unpleasant: days with turbulent plane rides, in the dentist's chair, in traffic jams, those days when everything seems blue. In fact, on many occasions it has made it possible for me to face the day.

Given that he is the soundtrack to my life, this is painful news.

Thank you, Andy!!! Cheerio and see you on the other side.
Laurence1957

Post by Laurence1957 »

I want to pay my belated respects to someone I never met. I 'got to know' Andy through hearing him read the novel - The Card, by Arnold Bennett, then other works. As I listened, I felt that the life he brought to the various characters in the novel, must subtly reflect his own personality and humour. David - your own remarks of 2017 about your dear father confirm this to me.

Among his many other talents, it is clear that Andy succeeded in what the protagonist "Denry Machin" in the above novel also achieved in life - "He identified with the great cause of cheering us all up!"

I'm so pleased that he enjoyed reading for Librivox and that he has left to others a wonderful legacy.

Laurence Davidson.