[COMPLETE] H.L. Mencken--The American Language--philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Bruce!

Thanks for Sections 3 & 4. They are in the MW and ready for PL.

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

beeber wrote:Part 4 is ready for PL (duration 4:37).
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/americanlanguage_04_mencken_128kb.mp3

Bruce
Parts 3 and 4 are PL OK. Very nice.

I love what I've come across of George Ade, such as his: "One [the English of England] is a pure and limpid stream; the other [American] is a stagnant pool, swarming with bacilli." I'm please to discover that several of his works have been read for Librivox .

Best,

Barbara
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

unclejoe wrote:I'd like to read some Mencken.....how about section 7 please.

aloha,
joe t.

Thanks, joe. Very amusing.

mp3gain tells me that the file is 83.3dB so it needs amplifying to reach the target volume of 89dB. PL note.

Best,

Barbara
Last edited by barbara2 on November 12th, 2017, 2:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Barbara:

My sense would be that you continue to offer pronunciation "suggestions" to the readers as you have already done (and I greatly appreciate). However, I think the "rule" here at Librivox is that we do not edit for pronunciation issues--although I am in agreement with you that this project has a special emphasis. (If the reader wants to make those changes on her/his own, they are welcome to do so.)

Before I make a "grand pronouncement" however, let's see what feedback we get from Phil.

Thanks so much for your diligence.

Philip
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi Philip, Barbara and everyone. About PLing, the general rule for standard level proof listening is that style of reading, pronunciation and accents are not what the PLer is checking for UNLESS the reader specifically asks for feedback on these things.

Even then there should be two distinct and separate parts of a PL report: one saying whether it is PL or not and, if not, specifying the things that need fixing. Like repeats, hard to hear (low volume), loud noises, not understandable parts, intro and ending scripts not matching what is expected, and incorrect length of silences. It should be clear in the notes that these things need to be fixed and the file uploaded with the same file name for spot check.

A second, optional part of the PL notes is where things that do not need to be fixed but may be nice are mentioned. Also suggestions on mic placements on 'plosives, speed, etc. Again, if the reader asks for feedback on pronunciation, this is where the comments would go. The BC will specify this type of procedure in the First Post and you can think about this Philip.

With that said, this is indeed a special kind of project dealing with language and may require special rules, which the BC can definitely set up. Philip you could ask the DPL to make notes on any pronunciation corrections they feel would help the project but specify that these corrections are put into the second part of the notes, after it is said to be PL OK or not PL OK. The reader could choose to make them or not. Or you post a pronunciation guide or link to one or something like that to help readers but tell the DPL to ignore pronunciation.

We want to produce a recorded book that is faithful to the printed text but please remember that LibriVox is for the READER, not the listener. Our quality standards are set so that as many people as possible can record and hopefully have fun doing so, not to produce professional recordings.

The most important thing here is to have a very clear and definite distinction between PL notes and suggestions or comment.
It is very easy for a newer reader to confuse what the must fix and what they do not need to fix. This is critical. Let's keep talking about this; i am available! :D
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Thank you, Phil for your input and counsel.

Here's a way forward--

In order to give the readers (including myself) the best information on their readings, Barbara should continue to suggest pronunciations where appropriate (just as you have being doing) ...however, it would be up to the reader's own option whether those pronunciation suggestions are accepted or not (a pronunciation issue would not keep a section from being labelled PL-OK--I'm not concerned that that has or will happen--I'm just trying to be clear). That is, I think in accordance with Librivox 'policy'.

Pronunciation suggestions should be set apart (a separate paragraph) from the issues (repeats, amplification, etc) which would keep a section from being PL-OK, and which the reader must correct for the section to proceed to cataloging.

I'm open to revisiting these issues as appropriate.

Philip
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

philchenevert wrote:
We want to produce a recorded book that is faithful to the printed text but please remember that LibriVox is for the READER, not the listener. Our quality standards are set so that as many people as possible can record and hopefully have fun doing so, not to produce professional recordings.
Thanks Phil. I had forgotten that! I want to be clear that Joe did read very well too.

Best,

Barbara
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Philip and Barbara. That sounds like a great approach and keeping it open to revision is also good. :thumbs:
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Thanks for Section 12. It is in the magic window and ready for PL.

Philip
realisticspeakers

I would like to grab section 44 and 48, please
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

realisticspeakers wrote:I would like to grab section 44 and 48, please
They're all yours.

Many thanks,

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

I owe apologies to jgbresson, realistic speakers and unclejoe.

I overlooked (as in I just didn't see) jgbresson's post of October 28 requesting assignment of sections 14-17. I subsequently assigned section 14 to unclejoe and section 15 to realistic speakers.

I have now corrected the MW to reflect what should have happened. jgbresson has been assigned 14-17 as requested. Here at Librivox, first come, first served is the way it is.

I'm deeply sorry and terribly embarrassed that this oversight occurred and I hope we can all move forward together. I appreciate your reading for this project.

Thank you for your understanding.

Philip
realisticspeakers

Question on reading:

There is a statement:
"Potowánmeac was reduced to Potomack and then to Potomac..."

Should I parenthetically say, "without the k"?

Also, how best to read the following:

and the spelling of nearly all the Belvédères has been changed to Belvidere.
Belair, La., represents the end-product of a process of decay which began with Belle Aire,
Last edited by realisticspeakers on November 13th, 2017, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer:
unclejoe

Post by unclejoe »

No worries! Happily, I hadn't started on it. Aloha.
DrPGould wrote:I owe apologies to jgbresson, realistic speakers and unclejoe.

I overlooked (as in I just didn't see) jgbresson's post of October 28 requesting assignment of sections 14-17. I subsequently assigned section 14 to unclejoe and section 15 to realistic speakers.

I have now corrected the MW to reflect what should have happened. jgbresson has been assigned 14-17 as requested. Here at Librivox, first come, first served is the way it is.

I'm deeply sorry and terribly embarrassed that this oversight occurred and I hope we can all move forward together. I appreciate your reading for this project.

Thank you for your understanding.

Philip