COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 53 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MillionMoments

Post by MillionMoments »

Hi Million Moments, Thanks for these! :) What is Booktube?
Hi!

Booktube basically refers to people on YouTube who make videos about the books they read. Two people run "Nonfiction November" to try to encourage people to read more Nonfiction, and they set themes every year. Their user names are Non Fic Books and abookolive if you are interested! And there is a discussion group on Goodreads.
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks Melony :)
My hometown is Bury St Edmunds, where the events described occurred.
It's nice to hear local history from a local.

All three reading are PLOK :thumbs:

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
MillionMoments

Post by MillionMoments »

Thanks Craig! I am reading the whole book at the moment it is really interesting, as we learnt the history of the town in school but this provides a very different perspective!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Sorry for the delay...

I have uploaded a corrected version of the Newton, with 23:40.

Sue, I think both you and Craig have found the same Kee-Kay problem, if not, just let me know...
About your final question:
I have one other question about the text. In the third paragraph from the end, which begins "And because the lines PY py are by the revolving body described in equal times..." the last sentence of that paragraph begins "Whence PQ [over] XI [times] YZ cubed is to....." The "cubed" is represented by a raised small "q." The other three equations in that sentence all read "quadrupled" represented by the abbreviation "quad." What I'm wondering is if the first "cubed" should have read "quadrupled?"
This is fine as it is, the first two equations with the "cubed" is the same as at the end of the paragraph just above. Newton compares different lengths with each other, so it should be fine.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
soupy

Post by soupy »

Demonstration that Planets Move In Ellipses is PLOK :thumbs:

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
MillionMoments

Post by MillionMoments »

And so on the theme of scholarship, I, of course, when for some scientific writing!

A letter on pear tree blight by Professor J P Kirtland
Text URL: https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/83157#page/5/mode/1up
MP3 URL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf053_pearblight_kirtland_mgt_128kb.mp3
5 minutes 50 seconds
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

MillionMoments wrote:And so on the theme of scholarship, I, of course, when for some scientific writing!

A letter on pear tree blight by Professor J P Kirtland
Thanks, MillionMoments! :)

That the human epidemic was blamed on what was attacking the pear trees was an interesting aside.

Pears, in my experience, are much less inclined to blight than apple trees. I have one tree of each in my yard, neither of which I attend to with any sprays or fungicides. The pears ripen unblemished and beautiful to look at, but my "organic" apples are another matter... They make good applesauce, however.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hi Bill, Thank you for these files. :) I have had only time enough to download the first for a quick check, and I'm wondering if by chance you uploaded the wrong file? This file still begins with the abstract from the Cornell University web page, which is not PD. Could you please check?

Thank you,
MillionMoments

Post by MillionMoments »

Sue Anderson wrote:
Thanks, MillionMoments! :)

That the human epidemic was blamed on what was attacking the pear trees was an interesting aside.

Pears, in my experience, are much less inclined to blight than apple trees. I have one tree of each in my yard, neither of which I attend to with any sprays or fungicides. The pears ripen unblemished and beautiful to look at, but my "organic" apples are another matter... They make good applesauce, however.
Ah that'll be apple scab - perfectly safe to eat but they don't look appetizing, I know!
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Stirring Times in Austria part 1 of 2, minus introduction, uploaded

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf053_stirringtimes1of2_twain_bj_128kb.mp3 47:01
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Thanks, Bill!
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Volume 53 is now closed to new contributors.

Coming soon, Volume 54!