COMPLETE Caliban by the Yellow Sands by MacKaye-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

Thank you Kristin.
I'll get Act II edited together at some point this year, hopefully!
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

I've fixed the Masque and Persons/Presences, and uploaded Act 1 to the MW. working on Act 2 this week....
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
JayS

Post by JayS »

Hi plaidsicle,
I am a retired audio recording person and have been looking for a way to help some projects in LibriVox. It was suggested to me that with the experience I have I could do some multi-voice editing in some of the Dramatic Works area. If you can use an audio editor to take voices from various sources and mix and edit them, I would be able to do that.
If you don't have the need, you might recommend someone who could use some help.

Thanks and good luck with your project.

Jay Salam
Jay Salam
Nothing sounds as good as audio! 8-)
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

Jay,
thank you so much for offering your services! I would be happy to hand over the editing reins. I am halfway through Act 2, but I have a busy few months ahead of me and probably won't make the best progress on the rest. so you are very welcome to take on Act 3 and the Epilogue! all the files for the parts are linked in the magic window up in the first post of this thread, and the text is up there too if needed.

let us know if you have any questions, and also please post your progress in this thread as you go. thank you again for joining us!
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
JayS

Post by JayS »

Hi Plaidsicle,
I am currently having trouble getting into the Magic Window. I accept the position of editor and will get started as soon as Phil solves my security problem so I can log in. I am excited to try and help.

Jay
Jay Salam
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JayS wrote:I am currently having trouble getting into the Magic Window. I accept the position of editor and will get started as soon as Phil solves my security problem so I can log in. I am excited to try and help.
just for info, you do not need to log into the MW to start editing. You only need MW access to actually put your finished file in there, but posting the link here in the project thread will do the trick as well.

The only thing you need is downloading all the files for one Act. For example in case of Act 3, it would be the sections number 65-83. Just right click on the "Listen" link and save it in a special Caliban folder on your computer.

Once you have all the files for one Act downloaded, it would be best to open the link to the play, go to the start of Act 3 and start reading and copy/pasting the correct sentences in the correct slot.

My own method is (but you may develop another one):
> I first open the Narrator file, that will become my masterfile then.
> then I open by and by the players that start appearing and start copy/pasting their lines in the Narrator file in the right slot.
> once one player is all copied out, I close that file again, so I don't have too many files open.
> then when all the lines are in the Narrator masterfile, I relisten to it all and maybe adjust volumes and spaces between speeches to make it sound fluent.

It's quite a lot of fiddling around, but it's fun.

Sonia
JayS

Post by JayS »

I am hoping for some help. I am editing Act III and on page 124 the script calls for A Voice From Beneath. None of the files I have found have the words that are called for in the script as A Voice From Beneath or the subseqeunt The Voice parts. Where have I gone wrong?
:help:
Jay
Jay Salam
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Aren't the lines in one of these files?

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/caliban_voicesfrombelow_3.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/caliban_voicesfromwithin_3.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/caliban_war_3.mp3

Some things are chunked together for some readers, so lines for separate characters may be found in a single file. The Magic Window will tell you exactly what's what.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Tomas is correct, I remember those lines, because I read them :mrgreen: The "Voice from beneath" or "the Voice" is later in the Act revealed to be the Voice of War, and since I was playing War, I also read that voice part. So you will find those lines right at the beginning of the War file.
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/caliban_war_3.mp3

Sonia
JayS

Post by JayS »

Thanks, sorry I was off for a few days, but found the lines and will resume editing.

Jay
Jay Salam
JayS

Post by JayS »

Hi,
I edited Act 3 and uploaded it.
I am not sure of the naming protocol on this type of project, but it is:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/caliban_act3.mp3

PLEASE let me know of any changes you require. I am happy to comply.

Jay
Jay Salam
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

thank you so much, Jay!
I will try to prooflisten later this week if I can. if MaryAnne gets to it first then that is okay too.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Jay and Plaidsicle,

I've added it to the MW. I'll add it to my PL list and we'll see who gets to it first. I'm halfway through listening to Act 1. This is a strange play!

MaryAnn
JayS

Post by JayS »

Thanks,
I have kept the session available so I can make any required changes. There are a some places that make me uncomfortable.
Jay
Jay Salam
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Jay,

You did a great job. There were a couple of spots that might have been a little close, but nothing that I would change.

We include a cast list at the very beginning of the project, so you don't need to include the "so and so read by" in the following sections. Would you delete that bit at the beginning? And then it will be PL OK!

Would you like to edit the Epilogue?

MaryAnn