COMPLETE [poetry] Songs of the Sea and Lays of the Land by Leland -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Jude1972

Post by Jude1972 »

Carolin wrote:Thank you jude :)

I haven't forgotten my poem just to say.... it's just I've had a stomach bug over the weekend..... so I will be doing it this week at some point.....
busbyhr

Post by busbyhr »

Carolin,

Here's the link to my reading of The Merman. Any kind of feedback, good or bad, will be greatly appreciated.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/songsoftheseaandlaysoftheland_14_leland_128kb_3.mp3

Thanks!!

Warm wishes,
Hilary
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you!

One little thing, how long is the recording (mm.ss)? Please remember to always post the duration of a recording when you post a link so that i can fill in the magic window :) thank you!
Carolin
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

busbyhr wrote:Here's the link to my reading of The Merman. Any kind of feedback, good or bad, will be greatly appreciated.
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/songsoftheseaandlaysoftheland_14_leland_128kb_3.mp3
I see you haven't found a DPL yet, so I gave this one a listen. And I don't regret doing it :9:

Wonderful narration, Hilary, I enjoyed it very much. Fluent reading and the little chuckle you always had in your voice simply made me smile as well when I heard it. :D I love your expressive reading. And the story is so beautiful too. :clap:

Hope to hear more from you :)

However there are three small notes to take care of:

> from 0:10-0:21: the poetry projects usually only use the short intro disclaimer, so you can cut out this entire part (see under Point 7 in the first post)

> at 4:34: “And walked right into the risin’ tide” – I hear “and I walked” but it’s clearly the merman, not the narrator, who is walking back into the sea, so this would need changing

> and on the technical side: the volume too low (only 85.8) we need at least 86, preferably closer to a good average of 89 dB. Could you please amplify the file with 2 or 3 dB and reupload ?

And Carolin, the length is 5:29 min. for this poem. :)

thanks

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Jude1972

Post by Jude1972 »

busbyhr

Post by busbyhr »

@Carolin,
Thank you for noting that the time. I will surely include this information in my titles moving forward.

@Kitty,
Thank you so much for your feedback. It put a huge smile on my face. This was my first try at poetry and I wasn't sure if I was doing it right...It's a lot of fun! You make a really good point about keeping with and separating the roles of the narrator and the merman. I'll correct that part and resubmit the reading amplified.

Thank you thank you thank you both very much for your support, encouragement and feedback.

Warm wishes,
hilary
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you all :D
Carolin
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

how can I resist listening to another Jude-performance :) a pirate song is perfect for your way of reading. :thumbs: Very entertaining from the first line to the last.

Nothing missing but I found two "ship jargon" words, that you mispronounced, so I'm noting them down here, in case you want to correct them. Not sure how much misunderstanding there may be if you mispronounce those words though :hmm:

> at 0:57: "The devil on the bowsprit" - I hear "spirit", but "bowsprit" is a part of the ship I think, though I'm not sure what part LOL but it has nothing to do with a spirit

> at 1:34: "Over the gunwale" - I just recently encountered this word myself in a sailor's poem and a sailor friend of mine informed me that this word is pronounced "gunnel" rhyming exactly with "tunnel", no "whale" at all in there. (strange but true)

But apart for these two words, it's absolutely perfect !

Carolin, I already gave Hilary my PL notes, do you also want me to update the MW ? I don't mind doing it while I PL, it's just I didn't want to meddle in there unasked. :)

Sonia
Jude1972

Post by Jude1972 »

Hi Sonia, I will do it again tomorrow night!! I'm at work tomorrow ten till half four, so will do it again in my evening! I didn't print the poem big enough so hence the mistakes!!!! i'm printing it bigger now!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jude1972 wrote:Hi Sonia, I will do it again tomorrow night!! I'm at work tomorrow ten till half four, so will do it again in my evening! I didn't print the poem big enough so hence the mistakes!!!! i'm printing it bigger now!
I hope you don't mean doing the WHOLE poem again !! Please don't, because the rest is totally fine. If you want to correct the two errors, only do those two sentences. Really, it's not worth the entire work doing it once again. Not to mention, you may do another error on the second go ;)

Sonia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you both :thumbs:
Carolin
Jude1972

Post by Jude1972 »

Kitty wrote:
Jude1972 wrote:Hi Sonia, I will do it again tomorrow night!! I'm at work tomorrow ten till half four, so will do it again in my evening! I didn't print the poem big enough so hence the mistakes!!!! i'm printing it bigger now!
I hope you don't mean doing the WHOLE poem again !! Please don't, because the rest is totally fine. If you want to correct the two errors, only do those two sentences. Really, it's not worth the entire work doing it once again. Not to mention, you may do another error on the second go ;)

Sonia

Morning Sonia.... I've never tried correcting just a sentence before! How do I do it??? I'll do it early evening......
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Hi jude, it is simple

. Listen carefully to the sentence you want to replace in your original recording, and say it a couple of times trying to get the sound right in a similar way as you read it before
. Open a new audacity window.
. Record the sectence a couple of times until you are happy with it.
. Noiseclean and amplify if necessary.
. Open the original recirding in a second audacity window. You should now have two audacities open.
. Select the newly recorded sentence and click copy (there is a button for copying close to the little scissors in audacity).
. Go to the original recording, select the sentence you want to replace and click paste (button next to copy)
. Listen to your result to make sure it worked.
. Voila :)

There are also other ways of accomplishing this but this way is easiest to explain :)
Carolin
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jude1972 wrote:I've never tried correcting just a sentence before! How do I do it??? I'll do it early evening......
seriuosly? You are making yourself too much work if you always re-do the entire poem just for one error.

Here is how I proceed:

1) listen to the part that is wrong, the sentence before and after and try saying it with the exact intonation and cadence as before, so you will not notice the new sentence has been done on a different time. A little warning, especially on your first tries, you may hear a bit of a difference, but with practice this will get better
2) open a NEW audacity window and start recording those two sentences that were wrong, again, maybe with the sentence before and after as well
3) noise clean this small part
4) copy the sentence that was wrong, or if you wish the whole verse you re-did
5) highlight the sentence that was wrong in your OLD audacity window and paste the new part in
6) now listen back to the new part and I predict you may have to adjust the volume, I usually have to amplify or decrease the volume a little bit on my new recording to make it sound the same than the rest

Yes this may sound like a lot of work too, and probably if the poem is only one minute long, it may not be worth the trouble, but once the poems are bigger, it's good you practice "editing". It will come in handy and on the long run, it's faster that way.

In any case, there is no harm in trying it some times ;) Practice makes perfect. I also didn't like my editing in the beginning, but I can happily say, by now I basically don't hear a difference of sound in my edited sentences. :)

good luck !

(edit: Carolin was faster LOL but you see we at least corroborate the same practical advice :mrgreen: )

Sonia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

:thumbs:
Carolin