The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Peter Why wrote:Just a minor query; I've always found it mildly irritating when Audacity selects the whole of a recording when I accidentally hold the mouse down too long, or double-tap it, when I'm editing. I know that this is a "feature", but is is possible to switch it off?

Peter
Yep. That bothered me too Peter so I turned it off. Edit>Preferences>Mouse. it is in there.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

You did, how? Edit -> Preferences... -> Mouse displays a table, titled "Mouse Bindings (default values, not configurable)" (emphasis mine). :|
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

tovarisch wrote:You did, how? Edit -> Preferences... -> Mouse displays a table, titled "Mouse Bindings (default values, not configurable)" (emphasis mine). :|
It sure does say that but I did it somehow! I am using an older version of Audacity perhaps that is why it does not select the whole track any more. ??
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I hadn't known that was where the shortcuts was stored .... but they are "non-configurable" for me, too. Thanks for your answers.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Peter Why wrote:I hadn't known that was where the shortcuts was stored .... but they are "non-configurable" for me, too. Thanks for your answers.
Peter
Peter. Sorry for the misinformation.
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

ColleenMc wrote:This is probably a really basic problem as I'm a newbie, but I am trying to re-record a paragraph that was accidentally cut out (it's gone, not on clipboard or anything) when previously editing a file. I also have to re-record another snippet where I used a wrong word.

I have watched Phil C's awesome tutorial video on editing and have followed it successfully for cutting out spots where I messed up and started over, no problem. I'm trying to do what he does to find the spot where the new bit will be inserted and then open a new track and record, but when I go to record, the playback on the first track keeps playing audibly. I've been troubleshooting myself, making sure that the new window is the active one, and that I have actually stopped playback, not just paused it, and that the microphone is active. I can't figure out what else to try and I'm getting really frustrated! Any help, please?

Thanks!

Did you mute the track you don't want to hear?
aniroo :wink:
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

At some point when I was editing a file, I've accidentally switched to a slightly different waveform display. There's now a white band along the display, from +0.5 to -0.5. What's the function of this, and how can I switch it off, please?

Peter
GrayHouse

Post by GrayHouse »

Hi Peter,
It's the envelope tool (or the multi-tool) - pressing F1 should restore things to their natural order. Or click on the Selection Tool button on the toolbar (the one that looks a bit like a 'I').
-Ian
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Ian; it was getting in the way.
Peter
Carod

Post by Carod »

So... I'm hoping that I'm putting this query in the right place and that someone will see it..

But I have exported audio to MP3 from Audacity as I've done many times before, and the Checker app says the MP3 file is stereo.

I have a single waveform line in Audacity, and the Audio file dropdown at top left of that line confirms the file is mono.

I do notice that when I select Export Audio, I only get the option of Stereo or Joint Stereo (I have selected the second of these). I get no Mono option and I actually don't remember if I ever had one as I've recorded and exported for many months now with no problem that I never had cause to particularly focus on this.

Can someone suggest what is wrong? I feel like something must have changed but I certainly haven't knowingly changed it!

Many thanks for any suggestions

Caro
GrayHouse

Post by GrayHouse »

Caro,
Check that the Pan slider on the track (the L-R slider) is set to the middle. On Windows you can Ctrl-click it to centre it.
-Ian
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

The Edit > Preferences > Devices lets me choose mono or stereo. That may have an effect on stuff.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Carod wrote:So... I'm hoping that I'm putting this query in the right place and that someone will see it..

But I have exported audio to MP3 from Audacity as I've done many times before, and the Checker app says the MP3 file is stereo.

I have a single waveform line in Audacity, and the Audio file dropdown at top left of that line confirms the file is mono.

I do notice that when I select Export Audio, I only get the option of Stereo or Joint Stereo (I have selected the second of these). I get no Mono option and I actually don't remember if I ever had one as I've recorded and exported for many months now with no problem that I never had cause to particularly focus on this.

Can someone suggest what is wrong? I feel like something must have changed but I certainly haven't knowingly changed it!

Many thanks for any suggestions

Caro
I concur with GrayHouse. This has happened to me. I accidentally (without knowing it) moved that L-R slider a little bit, and it exported my MP3 as stereo.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
JayS

Post by JayS »

Hi,
I'm hoping I can help the "Stereo" issue for Audacity users.
The easiest way to be sure your export is Mono is:
File/Save Other/Export as MP3/
In the "Save As" box you can check the file name.
Then under "Where" choose your destination.
Under "File type" be sure to choose "MP3 Files".
In the "Format Options" section:
Bit Rate Mode choose "Constant".
Quality "128 kbps".
Variable Speed will be grayed out.
In Channel Mode use "Force export to mono".
Click Save.
You may get a message that says "Warning" "Your tracks will be mixed down to a single mono channel in the exported file."
Click "OK".
Then you can (check and edit the Metadata Tags).
Once you are satisfied with that, click "OK" once more and you will have sent a mono mp3 file to your destination.

Hope this helps,

JayS
Jay Salam
Nothing sounds as good as audio! 8-)
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Of course, I'm being obvious, but if you record in MONO it will stay in mono in Audacity. (You can set recording to mono summed even if you have two mic's and they are going in as stereo. It will then be one track mono).

Sorry if this is too obvious!
Last edited by lurcherlover on November 10th, 2017, 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.