Audacity 2.2.0 release

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

I wasn't sure where to put this in our forums but as most of us use Audacity I thought it would fit as news.

http://www.audacityteam.org/audacity-2-2-0-released/

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/new_features_in_this_release.html
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Bev. I've downloaded the new version ... and stuck to the "classic" theme. But having the Select options in a separate menu makes more sense than having them under "Edit".

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
GrayHouse

Post by GrayHouse »

It may be worth pointing out that:

1) The function of Record and Shift+Record have been reversed. So Append Recording is now the default.

2) There are new features of interest to visually impaired users, but they're turned off by default. Use View > Extra Menus (on/off) to enable them. They add two extra menus to the right of the Help menu which provide access to toolbar operations and commands not available in the default menus. Shortcut keys can also be assigned to them. Perhaps there's a better place to post this to bring it to the attention of users who may find it useful.

-Ian
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I like the fact it now tells you if you are running out of disk space :thumbs:

Anne
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Did they fix the annoying "selection length sticking around after deleting selected piece" problem? Curiously, it only exists on Windows. I trip on it every other time I delete a piece while editing... You select some audio, press 'Del', it's gone, you start playback, and it only plays back the length of the segment you just removed... Startles the hell out of me every time when it just stops playing back for no apparent reason :shock: :D
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

So there are different names of things in the menu (Save Other... instead of Export...). That means changing our instructions.

I like that starting to record after already having recorded something will append the new recording to the old by default, rather than having to do a Shift-Record.

Changes do make it harder or us to give instruction, though. :?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Yes. <sigh>. But then making instructions means I am forced to actually learn the darned thing and that is good. :roll:
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I was thinking about upgrading, but I'm somewhere afraid of change. :lol: Thanks for the reviews, everyone! Will I? Won't I? :hmm:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

tovarisch wrote:Did they fix the annoying "selection length sticking around after deleting selected piece" problem? Curiously, it only exists on Windows. I trip on it every other time I delete a piece while editing... You select some audio, press 'Del', it's gone, you start playback, and it only plays back the length of the segment you just removed... Startles the hell out of me every time when it just stops playing back for no apparent reason :shock: :D
I use Windows 10 and I've never experienced this. It does sound frustrating, though.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

mightyfelix wrote:I use Windows 10 and I've never experienced this.
Oh, it's not in all versions, it's only in the last one, as far as I can tell. Its number is 2.1.3 or something like that. I think it was introduced along with the ability to always keep the playback/recording position in the middle of the displayed track segment (there is a green button at the left end of the scale on top of the track, a triangle)...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks for the heads up! I've just installed. I saved the files to a new folder, so as not to overwrite my old Audacity files.

It seems like my settings from before all come over to the new version (mono, 16 bit, 41100 Hz), plug ins are still there (replay gain is the one I use most).

Is this the same experience for others? I think it would help folks make the decision to switch if they knew that they didn't have to set up audacity from scratch, as you do the first time you install it on a new computer.

MaryAnn
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Yes MaryAnn, all the old settings came across in the new install for me also. I chose to experiment with the 'dark' Audacity version.
Windows still links mp3 files to the 2.1.3 version and they open with same. The new install opens with the new desktop icon.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Audacity 2.2.1 has been released. A new topic is here for discussion:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=68399
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart