COMPLETE[PLAY] The Devil is an Ass by Ben Jonson - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

Kitty wrote:
all right, Tailbush (since you don't care for Madam), here we go :mrgreen:

I loved the nonchalant way you spoke for most of the time, it makes a great contrast to how shocked she is at the end when she witnesses the exorcism. But for most of the play, she is the lady in charge, not so unlike Gaylustre actually. This is Gaylustre in a previous life I would bet. :mrgreen:

No errors found and nothing missing as far as I can see. There is just one part in Act 4 that you can cut out, as it's spoken by someone else:

> 5:53-5:56: (p. 317 top): "Ha! what is't, say'st thou ?" this can be cut out, as it's Meercraft saying this after Train's whispers to him

Act 5 is PL ok right away.

Good job, Linda :clap: thanks

Sonia
Yes, I suspected that line wasn’t spoken by Lady Tailbush, but I left it in, just in case. I’ll remove it today and send the file back in.
Thank you, Sonia! :D
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

Tailbush Act 4 again, with that one line removed at 5:53.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_tailbush_4.mp3

Duration is now 12:18

Thank you, Sonia! :D

EMart29

Post by EMart29 »

Kitty wrote: You need to read carefully through the text, to find all the stage directions, so basically everything that is not being read by a character. (example: "closes door" or "laughs", things like that). Often they are in brackets, but maybe not always.
Hi Sonia and Todd,

Thanks for all of your help. I'm looking forward to getting started with this project. As I was looking over the text, I found a couple of questions. Would you like me to read the Dramatis Personae and the prologue? If I do read them, should I submit that as a separate recording file or as part of Act 1?

Thanks again,
Elizabeth
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

EMart29 wrote:Thanks for all of your help. I'm looking forward to getting started with this project. As I was looking over the text, I found a couple of questions. Would you like me to read the Dramatis Personae and the prologue? If I do read them, should I submit that as a separate recording file or as part of Act 1?
thanks for asking. :)

As far as Dramatis personae go, yes, please read the entire characteristics, for example: "Satan, the great devil, read by..." -- then 2 seconds pause for editing -- "Pug, the less devil, read by ..." -- 2 seconds pause -- "Iniquity, the vice, read by ..." and so on. This is to make sure we have a complete set of voice credits, just in case one of the readers vanishes without handing in their voice credit. Also don't forget to read "Stage Directions, read by Elizabeth Martinson" We need your voice credit as well. :wink:

The Prologue.... :hmm: I think it has not been assigned to anybody else, so yes, please read that one too. Todd will check in later on to confirm, but as far as I know, this prologue will be read by the narrator.

And you can put all this at the beginning of the First Act, right after the intro disclaimer, which you can see in the very first post, right under the Magic Window.

So the beginning for you in Act 1 would run thus:

"Act 1 of The Devil is an Ass by Ben Jonson. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org." -- bit of pause, then "Dramatis Personae..." -- bit of pause -- "Prologue..." -- bit of pause -- "Act 1. Scene 1. Enter Satan and Pug." -- 2 seconds pause -- "Enter Iniquity" ... and so on.

As I said before, once you have done the first Act, you could already upload that one for me to review, then, in case there is something missing, I can tell you right before you record the other acts and we can sort out any misunderstandings then. :)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I could not have said it better. Thank you Sonia - and thank you Elizabeth for taking this on.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Ealswythe wrote:Tailbush Act 4 again, with that one line removed at 5:53.
:shock: yikes ! Somehow I missed this post a few days ago. But I checked now and of course it's PL ok now, Linda. Thank you, and sorry for the oversight. Next time, give me a nudge ;)

Sonia
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

Kitty wrote:
Ealswythe wrote:Tailbush Act 4 again, with that one line removed at 5:53.
:shock: yikes ! Somehow I missed this post a few days ago. But I checked now and of course it's PL ok now, Linda. Thank you, and sorry for the oversight. Next time, give me a nudge ;)

Sonia
No problem, Sonia. I thought you had seen it. :D

EMart29

Post by EMart29 »

Here are the stage directions for Act 1. Let me know if I need to add anything!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_stagedirections_1.mp3

Elizabeth
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

EMart29 wrote:Here are the stage directions for Act 1. Let me know if I need to add anything!
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_stagedirections_1.mp3
Elizabeth, this is a GREAT start :clap: You have missed none of the directions, you have left plenty of editing space and your reading for the Prologue is absolutely beautiful and clearly understandable. A very perfect narrator. Since this is your first drama participation, I can only say: congrats ! I'm glad you joined. :)

I can give you one note for the Dramatis Personae though, you read the entire credits, with the readers' names as well. This was not necessary. Usually the readers give us at least one voice credit. What I meant is, they may have said "Satan read by Alan Mapstone" instead of "Satan, the great devil, read by Alan Mapstone" and that's where you would come in and read the entire credit. But long story short, it wasn't necessary, but it doesn't hurt either. Better one line too many than not enough. Todd can cut out what he needs.

For the rest, I only found two textual errors, that have a bit of a change of meaning, and may better be corrected.

> at 4:05: (p. 264 middle) “if that offend; or were Muscovy glass” – I hear “wore” instead of “were”

> at 7:03: (p. 276 top) “He disposes his wife to her place” – you say “disposes of” which means a bit of a different thing :mrgreen:

Thank you, it was really a great start. Looking forward to the other acts. Act 1 is usually the longest, so the rest will be much faster, I suspect :)

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Kitty wrote:
RobBoard wrote:The Engine has finally arrived at the station.
thank you Rob, especially for inspiring Todd to break out into spontaneous poetry. :shock:

I like Engine somehow, even though he is a scoundrel. And you play him excellently. Of course when he starts to talk bawdy about Dicky Robinson as crossdresser in Act 2, that's when you really get into your element, Rob ;) Loved this part ! I blame in on all those city comedies you are offering :mrgreen:

Act 3 is already PL ok

Few PL notes for 1 and 2:

act 1:

> voice credit: could you please read the whole characteristics: "Engine, a Broker, read by Rob Board"

> at about 0:36: missing part: (p. 272 top): "I forgot to give it you." to be found at 0:55. Could you paste it at the correct spot to make life easier for Todd ?

> at 1:45: missing part (p. 280 bottom): "to tell you true..."etc. 3 lines missing

Act 2:

> at 0:39 and 0:44: "Of the king's glover ?" is repeated, is there one version you prefer or do you leave the choice to Todd ? :hmm:

> at about 1:16: missing sentence (p. 285 top): "Yes sir, he was writing this morning very hard."

Thank you :)

Sonia
Sonia,

Thanks for that. Seeing as I made some mistakes, and after listening back to my recordings I wasn't happy with the sound quality (I recorded it in a new environment I thought sounded OK... but no), I have re-recorded everything. Sorry for asking you to PL the whole thing again, and I hope I didn't make the same mistakes all over again.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_engine_1.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_engine_2.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/devilisanass_engine_3.mp3
Rob Marland reader section | website
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RobBoard wrote:Thanks for that. Seeing as I made some mistakes, and after listening back to my recordings I wasn't happy with the sound quality (I recorded it in a new environment I thought sounded OK... but no), I have re-recorded everything. Sorry for asking you to PL the whole thing again, and I hope I didn't make the same mistakes all over again.
all right, I listened to them all again. Just as great as the first time around :thumbs: And indeed, no errors this time, so I can mark them all PL ok.

Todd: they are all a bit over 92 dB, but you will adjust the volume anyway, so that is not an issue.

Thanks Rob ! :)

Sonia
MylesLobdell

Post by MylesLobdell »

Hi!

I'd like to claim Sections 1 & 2.

THANKS!!!!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MylesLobdell wrote:I'd like to claim Sections 1 & 2.
ah, hi again Myles :) welcome to the crazy crew. :lol: thanks for your interest in drama, we always welcome fresh voices.

I remember you from your 1-min-test this morning. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=68220 I can reserve you the role but could you first try and correct your test file, so I can check you know "the ropes" in Audacity ? It's always better we iron out any initial problems in the test than later on in a longer recording.

For your reader's page, I need to know which name you want to be registered in, can be your forum or real name or any other thing, just tell me.

Since this is your first drama recording, here a few special hints, how to record drama sections:

1) you don't need to read the LV disclaimer (only the narrator does that), you only do a voice credit at the beginning of the file. In your case here that would be: "Thomas Gilthead, a Goldsmith, read by Myles Lobdell"

2) record every "block" your character has to read and in-between your chunks, leave at least 2 seconds of silence. We need to cut out your bits and paste them in a masterfile, so leaving a lot of editing pause is crucial. Even if in between your sentence there is the narrator who says "goes to door" or something like that, you need to insert the 2 seconds, as we will have to paste the narrator's comment in.

3) to get into character, you do not necessarily have to read the whole play, especially not if the character only shows up in a few scenes. But it would be helpful to at least read the scene he is in, so you know a bit how the mood is and how to react to things people say to your character. If the stage directions ask for "sighs" or "laughs", it won't hurt if you could incorporate that in your performance. Just have fun "acting out". :mrgreen:

Ok, if anything is still unclear, please feel free to ask.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MylesLobdell wrote:Hi!
THANKS!!!!
so Myles, I gave you the OK on your test now, and I see you already have a reader-page, so I'll officially sign you up for Thomas Gilthead now. Have fun :)

Sonia
MylesLobdell

Post by MylesLobdell »

Thanks, Sonia!
Kitty wrote:
MylesLobdell wrote:Hi!
THANKS!!!!
so Myles, I gave you the OK on your test now, and I see you already have a reader-page, so I'll officially sign you up for Thomas Gilthead now. Have fun :)

Sonia