COMPLETE [PLAY] The Gamester by Edward Moore - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

The Gamester by Edward Moore (1712 - 1757).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/the-gamester-by-edward-moore/

<i>The Gamester</i> is Edward Moore's most famous work, and while it has fallen into relative obscurity in the last century, at the time it marked an important shift in the staging of eighteenth century tragedy. More specifically, it was one of the first plays to depict bourgeois suffering through the valence of moral values, moving the genre away from the lofty depiction of kings and empires toward something much closer to home for middle-class audiences. As such, the play depicts the trials and tribulations of Beverley, a dissolute gambler whose uncontrollable addiction has endangered the financial security of his household. Unbeknownst to him, however, is the fact that his money is being pocketed by a cadre of villainous sharpers led by the Machiavellian Stukely, who has designs on Beverley's wife and pretends to be his concerned friend. What follows is a drama that, while not possessing the greatest artistic merit, nevertheless affects us as keenly as it did the people who saw its first performance at the Drury Lane Theater on February 7, 1753. ( Tomas Peter)
All roles are gender neutral. Please read the character descriptions below before claiming.
MC: Kitty
BC: WiltedScribe
DPL: Kitty
Editor: WiltedScribe
  1. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/16267
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Edward Moore) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Moore_(dramatist)
    Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    Number of sections (files) this project will have: 45
    Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    Original publication date (if known): 1753
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Plays/Drama/Tragedy

Keywords that describe the book: tragedy, morality, gambling, bourgeois, domestic, english drama, edward moore, middle class

============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:

At the beginning: Act [#] of The Gamester by Edward Moore. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3
    gamester_[role]_[#]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where # is the act number (e.g. gamester_beverley_3_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kitty
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by WiltedScribe on November 27th, 2017, 4:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Tomas Peter
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Here is the cast of characters and their accompanying descriptions. All parts are gender neutral.

BEVERLEY. The tragic hero, whose gambling addiction initiates the main action. He has a good heart, but he's weak-willed and gullible to a fault. Appears in Acts 2-5, and reads the Prologue -- ToddHW

STUKELY (pronounced STOO-KLEY). The villain. He pretends to be Beverley's friend, but really he's robbing him blind and trying to find ways to win over his wife. Appears in all acts --- WiltedScribe / Tomas Peter

MRS. BEVERLEY. Beverley's virtuous wife, who loves her husband dearly and suffers from his wayward lifestyle just as much as he does. Appears in all acts, and reads the Epilogue --- Ealswythe / Linda Olsen Fitak

CHARLOTTE. Beverley's sister, who is just as concerned about him as Mrs. Beverley is. Courted by Lewson. Appears in all acts --- bluechien / Eva Davis

LEWSON. Charlotte's suitor. He distrusts Stukely from the beginning, and tries to expose his double-dealing ways. Appears in all acts --- benderca / TJ Burns

JARVIS. An old man and a kindly friend to the Beverleys, offering them support whenever possible. Appears in Acts 1, 2, 4 & 5 --- alanmapstone

LUCY. Maid to the Beverley household. Like Jarvis, she tries to boost the family's sinking morale. Appears in Acts 1-3 --- Kitty / Sonia

BATES. Stukely's right-hand man and agent. Appears in all acts --- unclejoe / Joseph Tabler

DAWSON. One of Stukely's unscrupulous sharpers. Appears in Acts 4 & 5 --- Son of the Exiles

WAITER. An employee at the gaming house. A very minor role. Appears in Act 2 --- NemoR / Nemo

NARRATOR. Reads the stage directions. Appears in all acts --- RobBoard / Rob Board
Last edited by WiltedScribe on November 27th, 2017, 4:35 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

getting this on my to-do DPL list and claiming the role of Lucy (I'm yet another Lucy in your plays :hmm: is this a pattern ?)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Ok Tomas, as I wanted to try out to MC a play at some point anyway, why not jump into the cold water immediately ? I'll give you a MW soon (probably takes me 10 minutes again :mrgreen: )

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

seems it has worked. So I take it this copyright date is ok, since the Augustan society only do reprints from the old facsimilies and don't change anything in the text.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

YAY. :mrgreen: :clap: Thank you, Sonia! Let's hope everything goes smoothly from here on out.

As for you playing a Lucy again, I'm actually more surprised that there's also a Charlotte in here. :shock: Coming from Oroonoko to this, it's such a coincidence. Those names must've been very popular back then!
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote:As for you playing a Lucy again, I'm actually more surprised that there's also a Charlotte in here. :shock: Coming from Oroonoko to this, it's such a coincidence. Those names must've been very popular back then!
:shock: you're right, I didn't even notice Charlotte !

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

The MW is populated, so claiming can now commence. This one doesn't have a huge cast, so don't sit on your hands if you're thinking about participating! :)
Tomas Peter
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

P.S. Sonia, can you insert this biographical blurb for Moore's catalog page?
Edward Moore (22 March 1712 – 1 March 1757) was an English dramatist and miscellaneous writer, the son of a dissenting minister who was born at Abingdon, Berkshire. He was the author of <i>Fables for the Female Sex</i> (1744), <i>The Trial of Selim the Persian</i> (1748), <i>The Foundling</i> (1748) and <i>Gil Blas</i> (1751). He also wrote the domestic tragedy <i>The Gamester</i>, originally produced in 1753 with David Garrick in the leading character of Beverley the gambler. It is upon <i>The Gamester</i> that Moore's literary reputation rests; the play was much-produced in England and the United States in the century after Moore's death.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote:P.S. Sonia, can you insert this biographical blurb for Moore's catalog page?
still figuring out how to do that, will try tomorrow. It's a bit late here today.

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

I'd like to nominate for Dawson if I may. He appears to be a so-and-so, but pales in comparison besides that Stukely fellow, who seems to be the Hans Gruber of his day.

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:I'd like to nominate for Dawson if I may. He appears to be a so-and-so, but pales in comparison besides that Stukely fellow, who seems to be the Hans Gruber of his day.

Cheers,
Chris
Thank you, Chris! :) Yes, that Stukely is a real piece of work. I don't know how he slept soundly at night. :?
Tomas Peter
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

May I please claim Mrs. Beverley? :D
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Ealswythe wrote:May I please claim Mrs. Beverley? :D
Of course! :mrgreen: Thank you, Linda. Looking forward to hearing your performance. :thumbs:
Tomas Peter
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

:D Thank you, Tomas! :D
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772