[COMPLETE]- Phra The Phoenician by Edwin Lester Arnold - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm not going to argue about it , but I would always say whinje and whinjer :D and never say finjer :D :D . I could argue Sesame Street - the George and Grover song - and say it's because the E softens the the G but that doesn't work for finger and singer and ringer - maybe it is because the word always ended with e so only r was added but I do not pretend to really know , anymore than I know why finger doesn't rhyme with singer and ringer, unless it's because they start off as sing and ring whereas my finger doesn't fing :hmm:

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

eggs4ears wrote:Section 6/ Chapter 5 ready for PL. More blood and gore! At 12:55, the OED gives me a choice of 'whinjer' or 'whinger'. I have gone for 'whinger', which rhymes with 'finger' in my accent, to make a difference with the modern sense of the word.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/phra_06_arnold.mp3 - 48:29

On Aladore, it would be nice if what you say were true, but the number is so much higher than anything else I have read that I feel like a zero must have been added! It can't be right.
I think you may find it's in some sort of school/college course . I noticed there are online study guides for it. It probably rates fairly high on "books I always meant to read sometime " group. Of course it could be because the cover is so fantastic that people keep going back to look at it :D

Anne
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

It would be really cool if it were a set text on a course!

I don't know what to make of the download counter as a measure. I realise it's the only thing available, so in the absence of data it will have to do. It doesn't surprise me that Aladore or any other book might have a surge if, for instance, it featured in a 'top 10 fantasy/seasonal books' list, or if someone like Neil Gaiman mentioned it in an interview. I'm also assuming that fantasy is a popular genre, so those figures may not be as skewed as you think.

I'll listen to the whinger soon.
Newgatenovelist

Notes for chapter 5 (section 6):

24.34-24.44. P. 72, mid-page. Repetition:
...we saw the thousand gonfalons [pause] we saw the thousand gonfalons of the spoilers fluttering in the wind...

29.10-29.13. P. 74, first paragraph, mid-paragraph:
Adeliza dropped her white veil as he sat himself [heard as she sat herself] down...

41.53-41.56. P. 78, penultimate paragraph, final sentence:
...and when Blodwen lowered her hand [heard head]...

After what we've been talking about, I had a look at my last Librivox solo. You're right, I think the download counter is out! Where are some of these listeners coming from?
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Sections 5 & 6 corrected and reuploaded
Newgatenovelist

Sections 5 and 6 are PL OK!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks, Erin! And here is Section 7 - a relatively short one, perhaps due to the lack of a battle scene :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/phra_07_arnold.mp3 - 33:34

In the course of reading this, I discovered from the Cambridge Dictionary that 'lichen' is pronounced as 'liken' in the US and as it is spelled in the UK. I thought that I just didn't know how it was pronounced. I correctly chose the UK pronunciation in this section, but I think I have balanced it up in a later chapter with the US pronunciation.
Newgatenovelist

Hi Phil,

I'll listen shortly. I guess Phra needed a break from all of that fighting. He does seem to be all brawn and no brain, doesn't he?

I've been using the free Oxford dictionary more than the Cambridge one recently, and it gives either:
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/lichen
without stating that there's a US/UK bias to one. Most interesting. Not that I use this word very often, but it does seem to expose pronunciation fault lines pretty quickly (a bit like impious!).

Say whatever you want. When I can't find variant pronunciations or for some off-Librivox things I'd probably take a harder line, but if one acceptable source gives both, then let it go. Besides, the online dictionaries noticeably favour bland, non-regional accents. Humph. Those of us that don't have natural Home Counties accents need to stick together!
Newgatenovelist

I should have known that if Phra isn't fighting, he's hunting! PL OK.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/phra_07_arnold.mp3 - 36:09

Part 08 ready for PL. A stirring chase!
Newgatenovelist

Stirring indeed! Shame they didn't go via the Fire Swamp and risk an encounter with the Rodents of Unusual Size.

I have one note that changes the meaning:
22.36-22.40. Top line of p. 102. Omission:
...could not [but] be moved by their uncouth love and loyalty.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks! I am in HK for a couple of weeks, so it will be a while before I can get this done. I have brought some more editing with me though.

Your comment reminds me that I keep wondering is this really 'fantasy'? Great book, but it seems that the time travel is really just a device for a historical novel. Or is there something more mystical stuff ahead?
Newgatenovelist wrote:Stirring indeed! Shame they didn't go via the Fire Swamp and risk an encounter with the Rodents of Unusual Size.

I have one note that changes the meaning:
22.36-22.40. Top line of p. 102. Omission:
...could not [but] be moved by their uncouth love and loyalty.
Newgatenovelist

If you can get to much editing while you're away for work, you're a better man than I am. I hope you have a bit of fun while you're there!

I don't know if it's fantasy or, if not, what it is. It seems like some of the definitions for fantasy or science fiction can be somewhat nebulous - but I'm up for more William Morris if you'd like to go back to that after Phra!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Hi Anne, Is there any problem with your folder, or is it me? I am getting this message when I try to upload - 'The upload destination folder does not appear to be writable.' Phil
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Problem solved, whatever it was! Parts 9 & 10 ready for PL

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/phra_09_arnold.mp3 - 50:15
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/phra_10_arnold.mp3 - 23:46

eggs4ears wrote:Hi Anne, Is there any problem with your folder, or is it me? I am getting this message when I try to upload - 'The upload destination folder does not appear to be writable.' Phil