COMPLETE Life and Adventures of Jack Engle by Walt Whitman - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Life and Adventures of Jack Engle: An AutoBiography by Walt Whitman (1819 - 1892).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/life-and-adventures-of-jack-engle-by-walt-whitman/
This story ran as a serial in 1852 in the New York Sunday Dispatch, and for more than 160 years was buried in obscurity, unknown to the world as novel written by Walt Whitman. Zachary Turpin, a graduate student specializing in Whitman's works, had seen in his notes a sketch of a novel including the characters Covert, Wigglesworth, Smytthe and Jack Engle, but no work including these characters had ever been found. After poring over endless pages of newspapers of the era however, Turpin found this advertisement for an upcoming serial:

“A RICH REVELATION. --This week's SUNDAY DISPATCH will contain the LIFE AND ADVENTURES OF JACK ENGLE, an auto-biography, in which will be handled the Philosophy, Philanthropy, Pauperism, Law, Crime, Love, Matrimony, Morals, &c., which are characteristic of this great City at the present time, including the Manners and Morals of Boarding Houses, some scenes from Church History, Operations in Wall-st., with graphic Sketches of Men and Women as they appear to the public, and as they appear in other scenes not public. Read it and you will find some familiar cases and characters, with explanations necessary to properly understand what it is all about.”

And on finding those lines, Turpin unearthed the treasure.

The story is told in the first person by Jack Engle and has the feel of a Dickens tale set in New York City, with its rags to riches story and lively and engaging characters. ( )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030362/1852-03-14/ed-1/seq-1/
    http://ir.uiowa.edu/wwqr/vol34/iss3/ (OK to PL from or verify text in above link)
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Life and Adventures of Jack Engle: An AutoBiography. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Life and Adventures of Jack Engle: An AutoBiography, by Walt Whitman. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Life and Adventures of Jack Engle: An AutoBiography by Walt Whitman. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Life and Adventures of Jack Engle: An AutoBiography, by Walt Whitman. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename jackengle_##_whitman_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. jackengle_01_whitman_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Margaret on May 23rd, 2018, 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Once a country is habituated to liars, it takes generations to bring the truth back.
~ Gore Vidal ~
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

FYI, we're trying to figure out the copyright status of this. Yes, it's Whitman's work, but where did this website get the text? Did they copy it without changes from scans of the original newspaper articles?

If it's a straight transcription from the original, it should be OK to use. If it was transcribed from some other source, it may not be.

I'm going to send an email to the U of Iowa to see if they can verify the original source.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Thank you Tricia. i think it is a straight transcription of the original because they include all of the typos and spelling errors followed by (sic). I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Once a country is habituated to liars, it takes generations to bring the truth back.
~ Gore Vidal ~
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Bad news. The person who submitted/published it put copyright on it:

http://ir.uiowa.edu/wwqr/vol34/iss3/2/
Introduction to Walt Whitman's "Life and Adventures of Jack Engle"

Zachary Turpin, University of Houston
Peer Reviewed

Rights
Copyright © 2017 Zachary Turpin

DOI
10.13008/0737-0679.2247

Recommended Citation
Turpin, Zachary. "Introduction to Walt Whitman's "Life and Adventures of Jack Engle"." Walt Whitman Quarterly Review 34 (2017), 225-261. https://doi.org/10.13008/0737-0679.2247
Good news is that knotyouraveragejo found this:
knotyouraveragejo wrote:It looks like the New York Sunday Dispatch issues where this was originally published are available as pdfs online. Pretty hard to read from, but not impossible for purposes of checking against the Iowa Research online version. Here's the first installment from March 14, 1852.

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030362/1852-03-14/ed-1/seq-1.pdf

You can advance to the next issue, and so on, from this page
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030362/1852-03-14/ed-1/seq-1/
In this case, since they confirmed we couldn't use the U of IA edition, you'd need to read from the newspaper scan. I found it readable when I downloaded it and zoomed in to 200%.

What do you think?
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Thanks to Jo for finding the original! I can read that just fine so I'd like to proceed.
~ Gore Vidal ~
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Okay!

A few minutes ago, one of the admins countered the copyright claim on the easier-to-read version. :roll: But if you are able to read the scan, let's just do that. If you run into difficulties with it (illegibility), feel free to go back to the easier-to-read one to get the correct words. :)

Be back in a bit with the MW...
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, you're all set.

I changed the file name to simply "jackengle". :)

EDIT: You know what? I think I want to DPL this as well. 8-)
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Oh thank you Tricia!
~ Gore Vidal ~
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

~ Gore Vidal ~
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

PL OK!

I'm all ooey-gooey over this already. LOL!

Moving to Going Solo.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/jackengle_02_whitman_128kb.mp3
14:55

I'm really digging this too - it makes me wonder why Whitman didn't do more in the way of prose. Kind of Dickensian, don't you think?
~ Gore Vidal ~
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sounds like a good way to describe it. :)

13:44 - "and chid Nathaniel severely" - I hear "Nathanlee"

FYI, you used the full intro on this one; you are allowed to use the shortened one, if you prefer:
"Chapter [number] of Life and Adventures of Jack Engle: An AutoBiography by Walt Whitman. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
Only if applicable, say:
"[Chapter title]"
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I fixed and reuploaded section 2, and here's the next:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/jackengle_03_whitman_128kb.mp3
12:57
~ Gore Vidal ~
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I just noticed when spot checking section 2, that the intro has "Chapters 4 and 5" rather than 3 and 4.

0:22 says "Chapter 4"
7:45 says "Chapter 5"
14:48 says "end of chapter 5"

Now section 3 is for chapters 5 and 6.

In section 3, chapter 5 is the same text as in the second part of section 2. So I guess we're missing chapter 3 in section 2.

I apologize for not catching this before!

Section 3 is all OK; it's the skipped chapter in section 2 that is the issue.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Thank you for those finds! I'm glad you're on my team. :-)
~ Gore Vidal ~