COMPLETE Bill & Doreen's Married Life by C. J. Dennis - kd

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Bill & Doreen's Married Life (from "Doreen"), by Clarence James Dennis (1876 - 1938).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/bill-doreens-married-life-by-c-j-dennis/
"Bill & Doreen's Married Life (from "Doreen")" is the sequel to "Bill & Doreen's Courtship" and "Bill & Doreen Get Hitched", the latter two being "Selections from 'The Songs of a Sentimental Bloke'". "Doreen" is a four-poem supplemental publication to the original book of "The Bloke".

"The Songs of a Sentimental Bloke" is a verse novel by Australian novelist and poet C. J. Dennis. The work was first published in book form in 1915 and sold over 60,000 copies in nine editions within the first year. A special pocket edition was even printed for the Australian soldiers in the trenches during the Great War.

"The Songs of a Sentimental Bloke" tells the story of Bill, a larrikin of the Little Lonsdale Street push, who is introduced to a young woman by the name of Doreen. The book chronicles their courtship and marriage, detailing Bill's transformation from a violence-prone gang member to a contented husband and father. (Wikipedia)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/stream/doreende00dennuoft#page/n1/mode/2up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: Poetry; Romance

Keywords that describe the book: humor, romance, humour, redemption, australian, australian poetry, verse novel

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Bill & Doreen's Married Life (from "Doreen"). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Bill & Doreen's Married Life (from "Doreen"), by Clarence James Dennis. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Bill & Doreen's Married Life (from "Doreen") by Clarence James Dennis. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Bill & Doreen's Married Life (from "Doreen"), by Clarence James Dennis. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename billdoreensmarriedlife_##_dennis_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. billdoreensmarriedlife_01_dennis_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Clarence James Dennis
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Bill & Doreen's Married Life (from "Doreen")

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: KiltedDragon
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by SonOfTheExiles on September 18th, 2017, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

The third and final part in the chronicles of Bill & Doreen!

Kilted Dragon and Kitty have already graciously indicated that they'll be back for more, as MC and PL respectively, so awaaay we go!

Cheers,
Chris
KiltedDragon

Post by KiltedDragon »

MW all set up.
Barry
My Recordings
Darn stuff! I have books to read!
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Thanks! All set up now.

Cheers,
Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

checking in to get it on my to-do-mailing list :)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Chapter 1 - Washing Day completed.
Duration: 5:59

Cheers,
Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:Chapter 1 - Washing Day completed.
Duration: 5:59
ah finally we're starting with Doreen :) hehe, throughout the poem I thought "so when will he get the hint and go chopping wood" :mrgreen: At some point Doreen was quite threatening ;)

what does "dinkum" mean ? :hmm: Couldn't find that out, although the rest I understood quite well.
Also the final sentence, I do not really get....is he annoyed now, was is sarcastic, or is he really smiling now since he hears about food ? It was a bit ambiguous.

A good start: PL ok

I especially love the extreme voice change you did from rough to very soft when you said "but a woman's made for love". The guy may show a hard outside, but he has a soft interior :mrgreen:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yikes I forgot something, it's not PL ok yet. Your volume is over 93 dB, could you maybe decrease it by 2-3 dB.

Thanks

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

"yikes I forgot something, it's not PL ok yet. Your volume is over 93 dB, could you maybe decrease it by 2-3 dB."

I always do that! But surely "He Of The Long Ears" is getting used to it by now? I mean, he has a LOT of cousins in Australia ... have you noticed him using nasal vowels lately?

Reuploaded: https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/billdoreensmarriedlife_01_dennis_128kb.mp3

"what does "dinkum" mean ? :hmm: Couldn't find that out, although the rest I understood quite well."

I think .... think ... it might be something like the German word "echte".

"Also the final sentence, I do not really get....is he annoyed now, was is sarcastic, or is he really smiling now since he hears about food ? It was a bit ambiguous."

"Strike! I'm marri'd to a woman ... But she never seen me smile."

He is not annoyed, he is not sarcastic. The food is beside the point. He is bemused, and amused ... and he kinda digs her "attitude".

Cheers,
Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:I always do that! But surely "He Of The Long Ears" is getting used to it by now? I mean, he has a LOT of cousins in Australia ... have you noticed him using nasal vowels lately?
LOL no she isn't much of a talker. And she hasn't claimed any bush-food yet (luckily)

Volume now in acceptable limits. PL ok this time.

I never asked, do you have the replay gain plug for Audacity ? You can check the volume there before you export to mp3
I think .... think ... it might be something like the German word "echte".
yes ok, I thought it would, but I was thinking it might have been a known English word, only written in dialect. Like "shoore" for "sure". And I couldn't find any English word which would fit.
He is not annoyed, he is not sarcastic. The food is beside the point. He is bemused, and amused ... and he kinda digs her "attitude".
yes he was bemused all the time, I wonder if Doreen is so bemused by him LOL also...6 years married and only one child ? :hmm: they surely have been cautious after young Bill's appearance.

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Chapter 2 - Logic and Spotted Dog completed
https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddrag ... _128kb.mp3

Cheers,
Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right...now in this chapter, I completely disliked Doreen's character. If there's one thing I can't stand it's when people can't apologize when they made a mistake, and can't even admit they made one. :evil: This dialogue brought my blood to boil... I would not have let matters drop like Bill did. That way she will never learn.

well, nevertheless, excellently read :thumbs: What's a spotted dog ? The Aussie version of a hot dog ? :hmm:

Oh and since she already raised such a fuss about an axe, I guess Doreen is not one for letting little Bill alone in the backyard to make his first aquaintance with the infamous redbacks :mrgreen:

PL ok

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

“Spotted Dog” is a sort of pudding, such as one would have for dessert. The British have a similar yet distinct name for it.

As for Doreen ... the smartest thing a man can do, after winning an argument with his wife, is to apologise. :D

Regards,
The Lurve Doctor :lol:
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Chapter 3 - Vi'lits completed.
Duration: 6:15

Whether in the Dramatic Works or the Poems, everybody seems to be goin' the knuckle on the old SOTE lately. :shock:

Do you know that our esteemed (or should that be "steamed"? :lol:) PL Sonia's character tried some throttling, albeit temporary, on my character in a dramatic work-in-progress recently? :help:

"S.O.T.E." stands for "Son of the Exiles", not "Scum of the Earth", y'know, people! :roll:

Cheers,
Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:Chapter 3 - Vi'lits completed.
Duration: 6:15
well done, I loved this chapter. :clap: Hilarious scene when old Bill gets hit in the teeth by young Bill LOL like father like son. I suppose he counts his blessings that they didn't have a young Doreen...two women ganging up on the father would have been too much.

PL ok. Come on, Chris, let's try to finish this before the new year !
Whether in the Dramatic Works or the Poems, everybody seems to be goin' the knuckle on the old SOTE lately. :shock:
Do you know that our esteemed (or should that be "steamed"? :lol:) PL Sonia's character tried some throttling, albeit temporary, on my character in a dramatic work-in-progress recently? :help:
"S.O.T.E." stands for "Son of the Exiles", not "Scum of the Earth", y'know, people! :roll:
awwww stop mopin' 'n tak it loik a man :mrgreen:

Sonia