[COMPLETE] Uncle Wiggily's Fortune by Howard Garis - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kgrreader

Post by kgrreader »

Here is Section 20 again. I figured out what happened - I saved the correct file in another folder by mistake! Duh.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/unclewiggilysfortune_20_garis_128kb.mp3

Duration is 7:32

Hopefully this is okay now.

Kathi
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

kgrreader wrote:Here is Section 20 again. I figured out what happened - I saved the correct file in another folder by mistake! Duh.

Kathi
Thank you
loon

Post by loon »

kgrreader wrote:Here is Section 20 again. I figured out what happened - I saved the correct file in another folder by mistake! Duh.

Hi Kathi - you are very very close.

Everything is right except the audio level as reported by Checker. Checker reports your section comes in at 93.4 dB. The LibriVox maximum is 92 dB and 89 dB is ideal. If you take the version you sent this time back into Audacity or whatever you edit with and reduce the volume by 4.5 dB the section should be nigh onto perfect.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
kgrreader

Post by kgrreader »

OK Rich, here it is again. I can't remember when I've had such a time with a section! I don't think it likes me. :wink:

Duration is still 7:32.
loon

Post by loon »

kgrreader wrote:OK Rich, here it is again. I can't remember when I've had such a time with a section! I don't think it likes me. :wink:
It likes you just fine now - Section 20 - Uncle Wiggliy and the Butterfly - PL OK

Thanks for the chapter and the repeated upload.
rraem

Post by rraem »

Hey, can I claim Uncle Wiggily and a Big Rat if no one else has?
Rebecca
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

rraem wrote:Hey, can I claim Uncle Wiggily and a Big Rat if no one else has?
It's yours! Enjoy.
Mfassio

Post by Mfassio »

Thanks,

Michael

"Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it." — P.J. O’Rourke
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

loon

Post by loon »

Michael -

Section 22 - Uncle Wiggily and Buddy Pigg - length 8:06 - PL OK
Section 23 - Uncle Wiggily and Munchie Trot - length 7:47 - PL OK

Notes on both recordings:

1) The waveform on both recordings is strangely clipped, particularly the negative peaks - when I zoom w..a..y in on the waveform I can see several samples in a row are at the same level. This makes your voice sound a little harsh, though not so much that your recording is rejectable. Did you perhaps reduce the levels during your editing to make the average level come out right? You might try setting your gain a little lower when you record so the signal you capture doesn't reach the very end of the range. I've made a couple screen shots and put them at https://www.fullloon.com/clipping/

2) You ended the sections with "end of section 22" and "end of section 23" - it would have been slightly better to end with "end of 'Uncle Wiggily and Buddy Pigg'" and "end of 'Uncle Wiggily and Munchie Trot'". This is not a big deal.
rraem

Post by rraem »

Rebecca
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Thank you.
loon

Post by loon »

Rebecca -
Section 2 - Uncle Wiggily and a Big Rat - PL OK

A note for your future recordings: Your overall volume as reported by Checker is 87.0 dB, which is near the bottom of the 86.0-92.0 dB allowable range - be sure you at least don't record at any lower a volume than this.

If you want to boost the level in future chapters, Audacity has a nice 'Compressor' effect that could be just the ticket for you. If you haven't used the Compressor effect it has default settings that gently reduce the very loudest peaks so they are closer to run-of-the-mill peaks. With that done you can adjust the volume of the whole track up a bit without having the signal hit the absolute + or - value. There is a tickbox in the Compressor settings that will do the gain adjustment in the same operation.
rraem

Post by rraem »

loon wrote:
Rebecca -
Section 2 - Uncle Wiggily and a Big Rat - PL OK

A note for your future recordings: Your overall volume as reported by Checker is 87.0 dB, which is near the bottom of the 86.0-92.0 dB allowable range - be sure you at least don't record at any lower a volume than this.

If you want to boost the level in future chapters, Audacity has a nice 'Compressor' effect that could be just the ticket for you. If you haven't used the Compressor effect it has default settings that gently reduce the very loudest peaks so they are closer to run-of-the-mill peaks. With that done you can adjust the volume of the whole track up a bit without having the signal hit the absolute + or - value. There is a tickbox in the Compressor settings that will do the gain adjustment in the same operation.
Thank you! I’ll definitely look into that next time I record.
Rebecca