[COMPLETE]- Phra The Phoenician by Edwin Lester Arnold - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Do you mean in writing in book suggestions? That's a thought. It would stop me wittering on about it!
Newgatenovelist

Hi Phil,

I'll be away for most of September and a bit slower to PL. Please upload whatever you wish, but I just wanted to tell you so you didn't think I'd gone AWOL!
Erin
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Hi Erin, Thanks for letting me know! I've been very slow getting started with this one, mainly because I've over committed myself with the rugby league project and also an off-librivox project for which I am doing most of the PL as well as my own recording. So I think I'll use your break to catch up on those and get back to Phra in a month or so. All the best, Phil.
Newgatenovelist

My, but this sounds familiar. Here's to overextending ourselves while there are so many exciting projects to do!

Good luck with the non-fantasy projects. And if you need longer to dig yourself out, don't worry. I can keep myself busy in October, too, and Phra's been around for hundreds of years, so he isn't going anywhere now.
Erin
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Phra is back after a short sleep...

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/phra_03_arnold.mp3 - 28:57

Chapter 1 also corrected and uploaded.
Newgatenovelist

Chapters 1 and 2 are PL OK. I've missed your voice!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks, Erin! Chapters will be a little slower than usual as they are rather long. 50-60 minutes seems to be the norm from Ch. 3 onwards.
Newgatenovelist wrote:Chapters 1 and 2 are PL OK. I've missed your voice!
I am also putting up another project later today - 6 lectures by C. H. Herford starting with this one - https://archive.org/details/norsemythinengli00herf. Would you like to PL? It will be a slow burner, but I have the Norse Myth one ready t upload, so I may as well get it going.

All the best,

Phil

Oh, and thank you for the 'knight on horseback'! He is pinned to my office noticeboard :)
Newgatenovelist

Ugh, I completely understand. The long chapters are a big part of my own solo is going so slowly. You're tougher than I am - I think in future I'll split anything that looks even medium length! Take however long you need.

I'd love to PL the lectures. Thank you for asking.

I'm glad the knight rode safely to you! That indie bookshop prints their own postcards, and they had really good taste in images!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/phra_04_arnold.mp3 - 42:57 - ready for PL!

Anne, C.H. Herford's lectures are now on the Launchpad. Could you MC for me?

All the best,

Phil
Newgatenovelist

Goodness, I thought the long chapters were slowing you down. I'm impressed!

A couple of notes for 4:

26.06-26.10. P. 34, third paragraph. Repetition:
...and all the oth- and all the other chambers I went through...

28.54. P. 35, second half of second paragraph. Omission:
...as she and I sat upon some grassy bank [and talked of village statecraft,] of conquests over petty princelings...

36.00-36.04. P. 38, end of first paragraph:
...by the tuneful rapids [heard raids] of that ancient stream I knew so well.

Also, I have a question about section 3 (chapter 2). It was PL OK, but tonight I ran it through Checker with the settings ratcheted up to the super-sensitive levels, and it's saying that there's a bit more background noise than your files normally have (41.2 dB versus 24.2dB on the most recent chapter). I realise that Checker is a bit of a blunt tool, but could I just double check that the uploaded file wasn't a pre-noise-cleaned version, or something similar?

Erin
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/phra_05_arnold.mp3 - 63:29 - Ready for PL

Will check 3 & 4 later
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Part 04 corrected and uploaded. I've also uploaded Part 03 again. I can't hear or see anything unusual, but I've recreated the file if you'd like to check it again. How do you check the background noise? I don't know what Checker is.

btw, I just noticed that Aladore has 40,000 views on Internet Archive and it has only been there since April. I am not sure what is going on there!
Newgatenovelist wrote:Goodness, I thought the long chapters were slowing you down. I'm impressed!

A couple of notes for 4:

26.06-26.10. P. 34, third paragraph. Repetition:
...and all the oth- and all the other chambers I went through...

28.54. P. 35, second half of second paragraph. Omission:
...as she and I sat upon some grassy bank [and talked of village statecraft,] of conquests over petty princelings...

36.00-36.04. P. 38, end of first paragraph:
...by the tuneful rapids [heard raids] of that ancient stream I knew so well.

Also, I have a question about section 3 (chapter 2). It was PL OK, but tonight I ran it through Checker with the settings ratcheted up to the super-sensitive levels, and it's saying that there's a bit more background noise than your files normally have (41.2 dB versus 24.2dB on the most recent chapter). I realise that Checker is a bit of a blunt tool, but could I just double check that the uploaded file wasn't a pre-noise-cleaned version, or something similar?

Erin
Newgatenovelist

Hi Phil,

Section 4 is PL OK.

Section 3 is still being analysed (see extensive stuff about Checker below!) as having a slightly high level of background noise, but I don't think it's a big deal. A blind man on a galloping horse couldn't tell the difference, as the saying is! I only wanted to raise it in case there was an obviously later file kicking about, or something similar. I might be projecting from my own experience, but I've certainly uploaded sections with the wrong volume, completely unedited or some other slip-up.

Checker is a programme that checks basic info on recordings. It doesn't take very much space on my hard drive, so I use it to check my own files and the files I PL. You can set it up to cast a very fine or very loose net in what it looks for. Mine is turned up to 11 and it fails nearly everything as a result, especially since it still looks for a few things that aren't compulsory (like id tags) with the current LV software. But I found it immensely helpful when I first joined and wanted to see hard numbers I could move up or down from, since learning Audacity felt (and still feels) like playing whack-a-mole. I still use it because it's a free tool and, even though it might not be absolutely perfect, it's a free tool and it would be silly not to use it if I have it at my disposal.

It looks for technical things such as volume (it allows 86-92 dB and flags anything else), the level of background noise (it notes background noise above 40 dB, I think it is). It also tells you things like the running time of the file, and it checks stuff like the bit rate and whether or not something is in stereo or mono. I usually just run chapters through Checker as soon as I've downloaded them to PL, before I begin listening, just to see if anything obvious emerges, and that the chapter is the correct length and nothing went wrong with the download.

The last wiki info on Checker is from 2014: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker.

And you can download it from https://cgjennings.ca/checker.html if you fancy giving it a try.

I'm in the middle of PLing the longer chapter, but I thought I'd post separately to explain what I was going on about!
Newgatenovelist

btw, I just noticed that Aladore has 40,000 views on Internet Archive and it has only been there since April. I am not sure what is going on there!
A combination of a good book, a great reader and a fortuitous match between the two! Truly, I think it's marvellous. Your work is paying off - if you compare the linked pdf, the audio version has roughly 40 times as many downloads (and the only other licit-looking scan has even fewer views). Clearly you're reaching a wider audience than the uninterpreted text itself did before you recorded it.

I have two notes for section 5.

31.53-31.58. P. 52, second sentence of third paragraph. Self-correction:
On one occasion when the sorm On one occasion when the storm was brewing...

48.52-48.56. P. 58, second paragraph, mid-paragraph:
...and Electra's polished floors [heard doors] were slippery with blood...

His battle scene has death and destruction all over the Roman villa (he certainly seems to have inherited his father's love of flowery language!), but on these pages 'slippery' seems to be used exclusively for the gore on the floor.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Section 6/ Chapter 5 ready for PL. More blood and gore! At 12:55, the OED gives me a choice of 'whinjer' or 'whinger'. I have gone for 'whinger', which rhymes with 'finger' in my accent, to make a difference with the modern sense of the word.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/phra_06_arnold.mp3 - 48:29

On Aladore, it would be nice if what you say were true, but the number is so much higher than anything else I have read that I feel like a zero must have been added! It can't be right.