COMPLETE- La Dama de las Camelias A Dumas-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

La Dama de las Camelias by Alexandre Dumas, fils (1824 - 1895). Translated by Marcial Busquets (1832 - 1878)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/la-dama-de-las-camelias-by-alexandre-dumas-fils/

Armando Duval, un joven de la alta sociedad parisiense, se enamora perdidamente de Margarita Gautier, reconocida cortesana, quien corresponde sinceramente a este sentimiento. Olvidándose de esas circunstancias que les rodean, Armando y Margarita se entregan por completo a ese amor, sin importarles el escándalo que esto genere.
( Phileas Fogg)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): https://books.google.com.ar/books?id=geHi-KtvwY0C&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f;=false
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of La Dama de las Camelias. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "La Dama de las Camelias, by Alexandre Dumas, fils. Translated by Marcial Busquets [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of La Dama de las Camelias by Alexandre Dumas, fils. Translated by Marcial Busquets. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of La Dama de las Camelias, by Alexandre Dumas, fils. Translated by Marcial Busquets "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename damadelascamelias_##_dumas_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
One book to rule them all and in the Public Domain bind them
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Victor,
I'd be happy to MC this for you .. . I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ola Victor :)

I see you have been busy again :shock: I have not read the book in the original yet, but I know about the plot a bit. So I'm going to find out about it in Spanish, why not ? I know you don't press me to rush, so I'll PL whenever I have time, if that's ok with you. But we'll get through it eventually (we always did !)

As starters: Prologo is PL ok.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

also finished Chapter 1. Very sad beginning already :( I knew the protagonist died in the end, but I didn't know the story would start at the end. Interesting beginning.

I have a few notes here to correct:

> at 5:48: (p. 9 middle) "era el tocador" is repeated

> at 8:45: (p. 10 middle) "del mismo modo....[etc]" is repeated

> at 10:43 (p. 11 top) " aun de costa" - you say "casta" and I don't know if it's a synonym, so I better mention it

the rest is excellently read, as always :)

oh MaryAnn, you can delete the listeners wanted advertisement. That's how I saw this project.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Chapter 2 is PL ok :clap: Well done. I can well believe that the people of Paris would rather think the old duke had an affair with Margarita :mrgreen:

I just read up a bit on the background story. Seems she was based on a real-life courtesan, which Alexandre Dumas also frequented at a certain time.

enough for tonight :)

Sonia
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Ohhh what a nice surprise !! Welcome again Sonia!! I was about to send you an SOS for this project and bum! you have appeared !
I´ll cut the repeated parts later on. Just want to thank you a lot for your offering as DPL and warn you that there could be a lot of little changes in some words , first because there are a lot of misprints and second because in the text the translation is rather oldfashioned and sometimes they have used for example "decirla" instead of "decirle" or this passage: "levanteme y tendiéndola la mano" instead of "Levanteme y tendiéndole la mano" . About the knowledge of Alexandre Dumas about the habits of the cortesans, you are right: he seems to know so much about it, that apparentely he did a lot of research in order to write this book.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

phileasfogg wrote:Ohhh what a nice surprise !! Welcome again Sonia!! I was about to send you an SOS for this project and bum! you have appeared !
seriously ? LOL well, it was probably a telepathic cry for help then that made me look in the listeners wanted
the text the translation is rather oldfashioned and sometimes they have used for example "decirla" instead of "decirle"
oh I already noticed a lot of passages where you said "le" instead of "la" but I immediately assumed that you as native speaker would know the correct grammatical ending, so I didn't note it down.

I am writing everything down I am unsure of, like this casta / costa thing
About the knowledge of Alexandre Dumas about the habits of the cortesans, you are right: he seems to know so much about it, that apparentely he did a lot of research in order to write this book.
haha, yes "research" for a book is a good excuse to hang out in the "demi-monde" :mrgreen:

Will probably continue tomorrow with a few chapters.

Sonia
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Sonia,

I have added you as DPL and unstickied the advert.

Welcome!

MaryAnn
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you MaryAnn :) I updated the MW just now.

Victor: Chapter 3 is very interesting again. I love the scene where you are doing the auction bidding between the two men. It sounds really "in the heat of the moment" :thumbs:

I found it funny that the author is mentioning Alexandre Dumas here in the text LOL (probably his father). Oh and I noticed that the initials of Armando Duval and Alexandre Dumas are exactly the same A. D. and this is surely not just a pure coincidence. He really wants to tell the reader this is biographical.

I only found one missing sentence right at the beginning:

> at 0:28: (p. 23 top): “La habitacion estaba llena de curiosos”

the rest: perfectly ok

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and Chapter 4 is another great chapter and PL ok immediately 8-)

You managed well to portray the extreme sadness of Armando here, with lots of sobs and cries. I really felt pity for him :cry:

Well done !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Chapter 5 also PL ok. I loved the discussion (or rather monologue) of the gardener of the cemetery. He had sound ideas.

The story is really good. :thumbs: Good choice to read this for the Spanish community.

Sonia
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Hey Hurrican Sonia started again!! Chapter 5 already!! I havent noticed that Armando Duval has the same initials as Alexander Dumas, you are right! Sherlock could say to you Elementary, My Dear Sonia- I fix chpater 1, cutted the repetitions, but the word "casta" is correct in the audio and misprinted in the text, casta has the meaning of virgin there and costo has no meaning at all in that context. Thanks again Sonia, I´ll go on editing some more chapters, but i have already recorded all of them, so you probably see that i will upload more than one together.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

phileasfogg wrote:Hey Hurrican Sonia started again!!
LOL don't call me that :oops: I may not keep up this pace
I fix chpater 1, cutted the repetitions, but the word "casta" is correct in the audio and misprinted in the text, casta has the meaning of virgin there and costo has no meaning at all in that context.

ok Chapter 1 is now Spot PL ok
I´ll go on editing some more chapters, but i have already recorded all of them, so you probably see that i will upload more than one together.
:shock: oh my, ok, but I can't rush through them, so it will take some time

Sonia
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Noo really, dont rush!!!! please i´m not hurried, was just to let you know that i will upload more than one chapter together , but please do the PL just when you can, I really apreciate a lot your kind work and I´m not trying to rush you at all. Regards Victor
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Chapter 6 is PL ok.

I start feeling Armand is a bit too traumatized by all this. Up to a point his sadness is understandable, but he is over-reacting just a little bit. I wonder if he will recover.

Sonia