Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
GillH

Post by GillH »

GillH

Post by GillH »

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hey, Gillian. I've been away for the weekend but should be able to get caught up on this tomorrow. Thanks for your patience.
GillH

Post by GillH »

No rush at all. I quite like knowing I'm ahead!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

15-17 PL ok!
GillH

Post by GillH »

GillH

Post by GillH »

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Wow! Now I've really got my work cut out for me!

I've been catching up on recording and submitting my own various and sundry sections I can't seem to stop picking up, but I should be able to listen tomorrow. :thumbs:
GillH

Post by GillH »

Honestly no rush. I'm just making sure I'm ahead of the schedule I set myself so I can relax a bit in the coming weeks (and I've also taken on some other readings).
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Oh, my! Things aren't looking good for our lovers.

18-20 all PL ok.

There were a couple of things in 21:

At about 7:48, a repeat: "the various intelligences... the various intelligence"

There was also quite a bit of censorship ("d--d" for damned, "d--n" for damn) in the conversation between Bucklaw and Craigengelt. It's really up to you how you'd like to handle this, and what you did isn't wrong. But if you like (and if the censored word is obvious, as it is here), you can just go ahead and say it. Or, if you're not comfortable with that, you can also use a euphemism like "darn". I personally would just go ahead and say “Damn all such double-faced jades!” (for example) because I think the text flows better and just sounds better. But again, this is up to you. No need to change it unless you want to, but I wanted to make sure you knew that you had the option. If you do want to do anything with it, the four places I made note of are:
13:55
18:09
21:49
24:52
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

When I hit that word in its censored form, I say "DNN" - it works. ;) I'd rather read it the way it's written, personally.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
GillH

Post by GillH »

I have no problem saying "damned" but I was trying to be true to the text. I think I've also had similar words in previous chapters, so I'd need to be consistent. I agree it sounds a bit weird and unnatural.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

GillH wrote:I have no problem saying "damned" but I was trying to be true to the text. I think I've also had similar words in previous chapters, so I'd need to be consistent. I agree it sounds a bit weird and unnatural.
Hm, I don't remember hearing any in previous chapters, but I could have forgotten or not noticed at the time. As I said, it's really up to you.

I try to strike a balance between being true to the text and having something that makes sense audibly (rather than visually). The way I see it (for my own recordings), the author clearly meant that word, and then for whatever reason it was edited out. So I personally think that putting it in is not a deviation from the text.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

TriciaG wrote:When I hit that word in its censored form, I say "DNN" - it works. ;) I'd rather read it the way it's written, personally.
Interesting. I hadn't thought of that approach.