Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Ealswythe wrote:Section 4 ready for PL https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/unclewiggilysfortune_04_garis_128kb.mp3

Duration 9:15
:D
Thank you
loon

Post by loon »

Ealswythe wrote:Section 4 ready for PL https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/unclewiggilysfortune_04_garis_128kb.mp3

Duration 9:15
:D

At 20 seconds in you read:
"Uncle Wiggily's Fortune, by Howard R. Garis. Uncle Wiggily on a Raft"
That should have been:
"Uncle Wiggily's Fortune, by Howard R. Garis. Story 4. Uncle Wiggily on a Raft"
- but that's close enough; we can let that pass.

Section 4 - "Uncle Wiggily on a Raft" - PL OK

A couple notes on the recording for your future reference:
1) Some of your "P"s and "T"s are perilously close to popping in your microphone. You could try moving the mic a bit (more) off to the side so your breath doesn't blow directly into it.
2) There is some 60 Hz hum in your recording. I'm only hearing it if I crank up the volume on my headphones to 'uncomfortable', but I can see it in the waveform and on the meters, which only drop to around -45 in your pauses. If you want to fix this in future recordings, you can run a notch filter on your audio - set the 'frequency' to 60 and the 'Q' to some moderately-high number such as 10. I opened your file in Audacity and ran the notch filter on it - after which the hum was around 15 dB quieter. This is totally optional on your part - the hum isn't loud enough to be in any way objectionable at normal listening levels.
3) The volume changes in your voice throughout the read, the overall volume of the submitted segment, and your editing are each spot on. Keep doing what you're doing!

Thanks for the section.

(Once again in this chapter, pie plays an important part in moving the plot along.)
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

Rich,
Thank you for all your suggestions about the notch filter and everything! I have copied that and will refer to it when I do recordings. Yes, I did notice a bit of a hum in that file, and a few pops as well. I have readjusted my pop filter.
Thank you again for your PL!
Linda :D
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Ealswythe wrote:Rich,
Thank you for all your suggestions about the notch filter and everything! I have copied that and will refer to it when I do recordings. Yes, I did notice a bit of a hum in that file, and a few pops as well. I have readjusted my pop filter.
Thank you again for your PL!
Linda :D
Here is one of Phil's famous videos on the notch filter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz4QvQXkPPI&feature=youtu.be
loon

Post by loon »

laurencetrask

Post by laurencetrask »

story 11 8:59

story 12 9:00

story 13 9:05

Laurence
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

laurencetrask wrote:story 11 8:59

story 12 9:00

story 13 9:05

Laurence
:thumbs:
loon

Post by loon »

Laurence, I found technical flaws in your sections - they'll all need to be fixed.

Section 11 is stereo, not mono. 12 and 13 are the proper mono, and all are at the right bitrate.

The LibriVox recording volume range is 86-92 dB as measured with 'Checker' - your sections were all too loud:
Section 11 is 93.5 dB - should be lowered by 4.5 dB
Section 12 is 96.7 dB - should be lowered by 7.7 dB
Section 13 is 96.3 dB - should be lowered by 7.3 dB (plus or minus 2 dB in each case)
The waveform reaches digital clipping in all 3 sections, but particularly in 12 and 13. I hope you have some saved work files - edited but not yet exported to MP3 - you may be able to just reduce the levels and not have clipping.

The ending silence in each recording is 11-12 seconds - that's too long. LibriVox calls for 5-10 seconds at the end, but almost everyone goes for just a smidge over 5 seconds. The silence at the start of section 12 is under .1 second - that really should be closer to half a second (but not more than a full second). The beginning silence in section 13 is just about a quarter second, that's OK.

The readings themselves are good, which is why I hope you'll be able to re-export them with repaired volumes and durations (and no clipping sounds). I particularly like the snail.

Sorry about the delay in finding the time to prooflisten to these.
Mfassio

Post by Mfassio »

Hi,
May I read 22, 23, 29, 30, and 31?
Thanks!
Thanks,

Michael

"Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it." — P.J. O’Rourke
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Mfassio wrote:Hi,
May I read 22, 23, 29, 30, and 31?
Thanks!
Enjoy!