COMPLETE[GROUP] Selections from the Table Talk of Martin Luther-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Selections from the Table Talk of Martin Luther by Martin Luther (1483 - 1546). Translated by Henry Bell ( - 0)

When Martin Luther promulgated his “95 Theses” 1n 1517, he probably did not envision the initiation of the historical division of the indivisible Church, beginning what we now know as the Protestant Reformation. For his opposition to such practices as indulgences and Papal infallibility, he was excommunicated by Pope Leo X, and later, at the Diet of Worms, was declared an outlaw of the state. Luther made use of the new printing technology of Gutenberg to disseminate his writings.

The first publication of his Table Talk (Colloquia Mensalia) was in 1566 arranged into 80 chapters. The complete work was published in Stuttgart and Leipzig in 1836 in the equivalent of 2,780 pages. Captain Henry Bell undertook the translation of these selections from the high German and published it in 1561. The topics are drawn from conversation with many of the great minds of Luther’s day and cover topics from The Word of God to Imperial Diets.
( Larry Wilson)
This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/selections-from-the-table-talk-of-martin-luther-by-martin-luther/

• BC: silverquill
    DPL: DrPGould
    MC: alg1001

1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/9841
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion

Keywords that describe the book: religion, Christianity, bible, faith, God, Jesus, gospel, church history, theology, Reformation, catechism, justification, martin luthe, augsburg, 95 thesis

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of Selections from the Table Talk of Martin Luther. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Selections from the Table Talk of Martin Luther, by Martin Luther. Translated by Henry Bell ( - 0) [Section Name]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [Number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Selections from the Table Talk of Martin Luther, by Martin Luther. Translated by Henry Bell ( - 0)"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      tabletalk_##_luther_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. tabletalk_01_luther_128kb.mp3)

Please ignore ID3 tags. They will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: alg1001
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

With the 500th anniversary of the posting of the 95 Thesis by Martin Luther, initiating the Protestant Reformation, traditionally falling on October 31, of this year, it is appropriate to launch this project of some of Luther's writings.

Several of the larger Chapters have been broken down into smaller sections as follows:

Of the Word of God Part I from beginning through "Of the Art of the School Divines in the Bible."

Of the Word of God Part II from 'The Depths of the Bible".through "Of the Errors which the Sectaries do hold concerning the Word of God."

Of the Word of God Part III from "Which are the best Preachers and the best Hearers". to end

Of God's Work Part I from beginning through "That God will be praised in all Languages."

Of God's Work Part II from "That God is willing we should make use of his Creatures".to end

Of the Nature of the World Part I from beginning through "The World is full of Dissemblers and Blasphemers: How many Sorts there Be"

Of the Nature of the World Part II from "Of the Wealth and Treasure of the World:.to end

Of the Confessions and Constancy of the Doctrine

Of Imperial Diets Part I from beginning through "Of Luther’s Journey and Proceedings at the Imperial Diet at Worms, Anno 1520."

Of Imperial Diets Part II from "Of the Imperial Diet at Augsburg, Anno 1530" to end
Last edited by silverquill on October 9th, 2017, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

This looks fascinating! I'll probably take one or two sections.

Edit:
EEEEEE! Look!! This is my thousandth post! :D :mrgreen: :birthday: :9:
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Happy 1000th, Mighty Felix :clap:

and...Hi Larry,
I will MC this for you.
Cheers,
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mightyfelix wrote:This looks fascinating! I'll probably take one or two sections.

Edit:
EEEEEE! Look!! This is my thousandth post! :D :mrgreen: :birthday: :9:
Those posts do have a way of adding up!
I've filled in the MW so you can take your pick.

I also want to read for Asbury's Journal, one honored in our theological tradition. I will admit that I have put it off because there is no word count for the sections, and that makes it more difficult for me to evaluate what sections I might be able to do. But, I'll get to it.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

alg1001 wrote:Happy 1000th, Mighty Felix :clap:

and...Hi Larry,
I will MC this for you.
Cheers,
Amy
Thanks, Amy, I do appreciate it so much. :9:

I've put the breakdown for the sections with parts in the initial post. I can put them in the MW if you think that is better. I just wanted to avoid clutter in the notes field with the long descriptions. But, I'm open to suggestions.

READY FOR READERS AND A DPL FOR THIS PROJECT.
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks! I'll take sections 10 and 11, please.

I'd love to have you on Asbury's Journal! You're right, there are no word counts, and I don't plan to add them. The format of the text would make it extremely difficult and time consuming to get an accurate count. However, there are page numbers given, and I tried to break it into approximately even sections. So far, it seems like the sections are coming out just a little shy of 20 minutes for the final length, if that helps. :)

Edit: A little over 20 minutes, that is. My apologies.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Wonderful. These sections are yours to read. :thumbs:

Right, I remember now -- it is an Archive selection. I find reading from Archive very difficult. I usually take my sections and convert them to Word docs so I can add the intros and outros and adjust font, and then read them from a tablet for ease and comfort and to keep my laptop further away from the mic. and also avoid mouse clicks. Sometimes I'm able to use the plain text option from Archive this way, but it usually takes some heavy editing since the text is not formatted and proofed like it is with Gutebberg, which actually produces a true ebook.

Anyway, I've just taken on a major role in play, so I'll have to give attention to that for awhile, but I'll definitely check back and read something.
~ Larry
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

silverquill wrote:
I've put the breakdown for the sections with parts in the initial post. I can put them in the MW if you think that is better. I just wanted to avoid clutter in the notes field with the long descriptions. But, I'm open to suggestions.
Hi Larry,
It is entirely your preference. I have been known to put a lot in the notes section, if necessary. It is your call.
Cheers!
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Hi Larry-

May I have section 13?
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

pschempf wrote:Hi Larry-

May I have section 13?
Yes, thank you, Fritz!
~ Larry
GillH

Post by GillH »

I could take sections 5, 6 and 7.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

GillH wrote:I could take sections 5, 6 and 7.
Absolutely delighted!
~ Larry
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

It looks like it is time to go to Readers Wanted. :wink:
If you would rather have it in Short Works, let me know.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

alg1001 wrote:It looks like it is time to go to Readers Wanted. :wink:
If you would rather have it in Short Works, let me know.
Readers Wanted, I think.
But, I'd also love to have a DPL.
~ Larry