COMPLETE[PLAY]2nd Mrs Tanqueray by Arthur Wing Pinero-thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Roger

Post by Roger »

I would be glad to take on the role of servant, acts 2, 3, and 4.
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Roger wrote:I would be glad to take on the role of servant, acts 2, 3, and 4.
Great. And now we are full!

Thanks, Todd
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Todd:

Here is the link for Frank Misquith, QC. MP. (Act 1)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/secondmrstanqueray_frankmisquith_1.mp3

Many thanks,

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

ToddHW wrote:
Availle wrote:You appear to need a narrator for this one. I'm available if you'll have me... :wink:
Great. Thanks.
Good, I'll get to it soon-ish :wink:

There is this little piece right at the beginning:
The Scene of the First Act is laid at Mr. Tanqueray's rooms, No. 2x, The Albany, in the month of November;
How would you like me to read the 2x - as two eks? It probably means something more like twenty-something, but... ?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I agree with the "2 eks" you suggest.

I also agree with your idea that it means 20-something - in the last Pinero we had soldiers from the " ____ Hussars regiment". But I think "2 eks" works just fine.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

DrPGould wrote:Here is the link for Frank Misquith, QC. MP. (Act 1)
yay, Misquith is excellently portrayed. Your voice is quite fitting, a sort of mellow, laid-back person, a bit disillusioned maybe. Not much gets him out of his comfort zone…and then the first utterly surprised WHAAAT !? comes like a bang ! Good vocal effect here. :thumbs:

It can be marked PL ok already, I only have two optional notes, but the file is also perfectly acceptable as it is:

> at 4:45: [Misquith and Jayne] “Yes, yes—yes, yes.” – well here you only said “Yes” twice, instead of 4 times, but I think that doesn’t matter, we’ll have Jayne pitching in the remaining “yesses” :mrgreen:

> at 4:53: “Why didn't I go to Aix in August?” – this is an optional pronunciation matter. The southern French city of Aix is pronounced just like the English word “ex” (like in ex-husband). Now one could always argue that Misquith didn’t know this either. So it’s up to you whether you want to correct it or not.

Well done, thanks, Philip :D

Sonia
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Kitty:

Here is the corrected file:

I was aiming for a slightly muddled, socially secure middle aged jolly good fellow.
Sharing my thinking--not intending to by disputatious (theres a good QCMP word):

With respect to Aix, Misquith would have known the correct pronunciation since he has previously been there for treatment--I used a pronunciation closer to the northern French variant...but that is now fixed.

With respect to Yes Yes Yes Yes...I've not ever known a British person to stack four "Yesses" together, but that is an editorial decision for Todd. So, I've added two "Yesses"

Thanks again for your thoughtful remarks--and thanks to you and Todd for letting me play in your backyard. :)

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

DrPGould wrote:With respect to Aix, Misquith would have known the correct pronunciation since he has previously been there for treatment--I used a pronunciation closer to the northern French variant...but that is now fixed.
I didn't even know there was an Aix in Northern France as well. Just checked it out, and you're right. We live and learn. However I would say Misquith went to Aix-en-Provence, which was a spa, and that one is definitely pronounced Ex
With respect to Yes Yes Yes Yes...I've not ever known a British person to stack four "Yesses" together, but that is an editorial decision for Todd.
yes I agree it is a bit of overkill LOL, that's why I said, I will make it PL ok already ;)
Thanks again for your thoughtful remarks--and thanks to you and Todd for letting me play in your backyard. :)
hey the more the merrier, feel free to enter the veranda, the nursery, the attic and some other rooms as well, where there are other plays performed right now :) (I like this image of our "playhouse" 8-) )

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote:Servant, performing his brief duties in acts 2, 3, and 4
may have been brief duties, but handled with the utmost diligence, Roger :thumbs: no errors, no missing lines. PL ok, and you'll be pleased to hear, you can keep your position in the Tanqueray household for the years to come. :mrgreen:

thank you for helping out !

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote:Here comes the narrator:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/secondmrstanqueray_narrator_1.mp3

I do feel for Mr. Tanqueray. I don't think his choice was a prudent one. No wonder he keeps it from his friends in the first act...
yes I totally agree with you, Ava. When I read through the text I really couldn't empathize with Paula at all. She seemed too vindictive and jealous to me to be likeable. I'm not sure if Pinero wanted her to be disliked or if he wanted the audience to have pity with her. But with me this failed utterly LOL especially after what she did to Ellean's hope for marriage.

Narrator Act 1 is already PL ok. Well recited. I see you left out the Dramatis Personae altogether and since I think we have all our readers speak their voice credits anyway, I don't see the point of insisting on them here.

will get to the other acts soon. Really long stage directions :shock:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Two small notes for Act 2:

> at 15:06: Mrs Cortelyon, to Drummle - you forgot to say Mrs Cortelyon

> at 17:01: End of Act 2 - you say "second act". Not sure how important the phrasing is, but maybe it's more consistent to make them all sound the same, and you said "Act 1" in the first recording. I don't yet know how you say the other two acts... :hmm:

you also forgot one [laughs] at one point but feeling quite sure that Tomas will give us a nice laugh there anyway, there's no point in speaking that direction. :mrgreen: Anyway I don't see the point of writing up [laughs] in front of the words "Ha ha ha", it's logical people would laugh then. :lol:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Narrator Act 3:

> at about 9:43: missing [AUBREY is silent.]

> at 21:42: Paula, following him. - missing Paula

> at 22:08: End of Act 3 - also here you say Third Act. Since this seems to be your preferred version, we could also say, you change only the "Act 1" into "First Act". Maybe that's easier. I let you decide.

Sonia