COMPLETE[PLAY]The Cabinet Minister by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jasonb wrote:Might I grab Sir Colin on this one?
excellent, we have our mama's boy :mrgreen: give it your best shot Jason !
Jo Lebanon wrote:No need to mention the seven years in Her Majesty's Time-Sharing Resort at Botany Bay, Sis.
all right that explains the accent. I should have known :roll:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

jasonb wrote:Might I grab Sir Colin on this one?
Great.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

YES ! I still finished before I go to bed. I hoped I would. Here is Kitty in all her first Act glory. 8-)

I went through huge emotions in this one act. Proud mom with Imogen / snobbish aloofness with Gaylustre / angry at my son, then totally reduced to tears / jovial hostess with potential marriage material for my daughter / concerned with my husband, then totally determined to make him see (and do) it my way / and in the end rapidly heading towards a chasm.... I can say, this woman is pulling all registers.

Todd, I hope you like it :) and it might give you ideas how to react.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cabinetminister_kitty_1.mp3
Recording time: 16:17 min.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks. I will rig for turbulent times....

Todd
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

Gaylustre here, Jo and I always on your back, my dear Kitty...
Act 2
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cabinetminister_gaylustre_2.mp3

Duration 6:08

Please use the voice credit from this file for the project. It's a bit naughtier-and haughtier-than the first one.
:twisted:
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Ealswythe wrote:Gaylustre here, Jo and I always on your back, my dear Kitty...
you out-did yourself here in this Act Linda. :clap: Your scheming venom is really dripping onto poor Kitty here, and this coupled later on with slimy Jo, I am amazed Lady Twombley survives the Act. :help:

And your entry again ! Soooo boisterous (my dear, I'm sorry to say, but this is really no class at all and it shows your roots). :thumbs:

Throughout the act I was hoping she would drop her guard and fall into a short cockney breakout with Jo. I noticed, she was on the brink sometimes. Well I’m sure we will coax it out of her at one point :mrgreen:

I only have one really fitting word for this woman’s behaviour, it’s French, so you will understand it: “ordinaire”. I’m not sure the English word “ordinary” means the same thing. Maybe “common” would be a good equivalent. You really play it to perfection. 8-)

I need to take care that I sound a bit more refined, even though I am in constant despair coupled with rage here in this act. Well, Kitty is not a born-and-bred-nob either, so at least I don’t have to pretend too much LOL

Absolutely PL ok

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:Thanks. I will rig for turbulent times....
Todd
please hold off on the PLing for a bit longer...I need to make a pronunciation corrected beforehand and will repost in an hour or so...

Sonia
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

Kitty wrote:
Ealswythe wrote:Gaylustre here, Jo and I always on your back, my dear Kitty...
you out-did yourself here in this Act Linda. :clap: Your scheming venom is really dripping onto poor Kitty here, and this coupled later on with slimy Jo, I am amazed Lady Twombley survives the Act. :help:

And your entry again ! Soooo boisterous (my dear, I'm sorry to say, but this is really no class at all and it shows your roots). :thumbs:

Throughout the act I was hoping she would drop her guard and fall into a short cockney breakout with Jo. I noticed, she was on the brink sometimes. Well I’m sure we will coax it out of her at one point :mrgreen:

I only have one really fitting word for this woman’s behaviour, it’s French, so you will understand it: “ordinaire”. I’m not sure the English word “ordinary” means the same thing. Maybe “common” would be a good equivalent. You really play it to perfection. 8-)

I need to take care that I sound a bit more refined, even though I am in constant despair coupled with rage here in this act. Well, Kitty is not a born-and-bred-nob either, so at least I don’t have to pretend too much LOL

Absolutely PL ok

Sonia
Hahaha!
Yes, I do know the word "ordinaire." It's just like in Spanish, "Ordinaria." Ordinary in English is just not the same meaning. I get it.

I'm saving the Cockney with Jo for a bit later. I almost slip into it with "Old Lady Drum." I'm trying as hard as I can to remain very "haute couture", pardon the pun. I really look down on poor Jo, but he is useful for some things. :wink:
A few monkey wrenches thrown into my carefully thought out schemes will bring out my true colors. :roll:

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kitty wrote:please hold off on the PLing for a bit longer...I need to make a pronunciation corrected beforehand and will repost in an hour or so...
update: file is re-uploaded, you can go ahead now, Todd :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cabinetminister_kitty_1.mp3

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Beware, Lady Twombley, lest Sis summon up the Sewing Utensils of Doom!

We've all heard our Mums and other seamstresses say to us, "I hope you're not using THE GOOD SCISSORS!"

This naturally implies that somewhere in the house, there are a pair of bad scissors ... EVIL scissors ... so everybody better just watch their step.

Joe Lebanon
"Underground, overground, Twombling free..."
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:Beware, Lady Twombley, lest Sis summon up the Sewing Utensils of Doom!

We've all heard our Mums and other seamstresses say to us, "I hope you're not using THE GOOD SCISSORS!"

This naturally implies that somewhere in the house, there are a pair of bad scissors ... EVIL scissors ... so everybody better just watch their step.

Joe Lebanon
"Underground, overground, Twombling free..."
Watch your step, my dear bro. Remember what Mum said about running with scissors.....
:wink:

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Watch your step, my dear bro. Remember what Mum said about running with scissors.....
If they catch up with you, you will at least be armed? And you can take the short cuts so they don't catch you?

(It would be nice to be anonymous some days...)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Oh Kitty, Kitty, Kitty. How have you gone so wrong? If you believe that that Mr Lebanon will help you out of you financial difficulties out of the goodness of his heart, you probably also sent your bank account info to those nice folks trying to get you to help move their money out of Nigeria....

Your Act 1 reading is PL OK, but I fear you need some serious help. Maybe things will get better in Act 2. I'm sure they will.

Thanks, Todd
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Question for everyone.

Whereas in Act 2, Joseph is in full slimy blackmail mode, by Act 3, he's trying to fit in with the Beautiful People in a Scottish castle. And making such a hash of it, too. Dressed in a kilt, for Pete's sake. I started doing the lines with the slime still turned up to maximum, but I found myself feeling just a little sorry for the character, the way he's getting snubbed by all and sundry. I suspect that's what Pinero intended the audience to feel. Sympathy for a character they loathe. The ludicrous nature of feeling that sympathy almost against one's will adds to the farce, I think. Makes the audience giggle nervously at him. I want to try it again, and while keeping Joseph as coarse and irritating as a pair of burlap long-johns, I figure on dialling the slime back just a little bit, at least until such time as he starts blackmailing Kitty again over those secret Government documents. Then the slime can come back up to its wonted eye-watering levels.

Does anyone have an opinion or feedback on this proposition? I sure would admire to have it.

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox