New reader

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
michelekingunh

Post by michelekingunh »

Hello, I am new to LibriVox. I stumbled upon the audio books iPhone app accidentally when I was looking for reasonably priced audio book. I have always loved to read to my children out loud and have always been told that I should be a storyteller. I am so excited to join this forum and can't wait to become a reader. Thanks to everyone who have created and maintain this opportunity. Michele King
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

michelekingunh wrote:Hello, I am new to LibriVox. I stumbled upon the audio books iPhone app accidentally when I was looking for reasonably priced audio book. I have always loved to read to my children out loud and have always been told that I should be a storyteller. I am so excited to join this forum and can't wait to become a reader. Thanks to everyone who have created and maintain this opportunity. Michele King
Hi Michele and welcome.
I split this into a new post, so you get one to yourself 8-)

The best starting point is submitting a one minute test and the team there will guide you on getting your setup right. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test There is no need for an expensive mic... a decent USB mic can be bought for about $20 on Amazon. Of course, you can pay a lot more for a better one, but best to see if you enjoy recording before forking out :D

When you start, it is best to read a chapter or two of established projects, but once you are familiar with the site and the process, you can branch out to any Public Domain text that interests you. Children's works are an excellent launch point as they tend to be in simpler language and sentence structure. When you're trying to come to terms with the recording process, you don't need complicated text :roll: I also started off reading children's works as I'm a pre-school teacher by training, but I soon branched off into all manner of material :lol:
Poetry is also a popular launch point (see the Short Works forum, dropdown menu at the bottom of the page).

Lynne