[COMPLETE] The House of Whispers by William Le Queux - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

I can't help but wonder just what may happen to the traveling man in the grey hat now that he has heard the whispers.
Of course, your imagination seems to be on a wild run...now my imagination is with yours and I now also wonder if Flockhart is the son of Lady Heyburn. :hmm:
I am planning on recording chapter 25 today, perhaps it will answer more questions, or just be perplexing?
Kitty wrote:
adr6090 wrote: Yes, you guessed it correctly...chapter 24 is in the mw.
excellent again April, and PL ok

now this conversation was highly interesting and revealed two things:

1) the whispers have not been done by Flockhart and Lady Heyburn in secret meetings, as I first suspected. This is a surprise.
2) Flockhart and Heyburn have another, probably more sinister bond between them...what could it be ? Is Flockhart blackmailing her with a secret he knows ? Are they maybe half-siblings, Flockhart being a bastard son of a secret liaison of Heyburn's father ? :hmm: You see, my imagination is running wild :mrgreen:

Sonia
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote:now my imagination is with yours and I now also wonder if Flockhart is the son of Lady Heyburn. :hmm:
oh ! I haven't even thought of that ! I somehow figured them along the same age, since he said they grew up together.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

"what a tangled web they weave when they practice to decive"
Yeah, they probably are about the same age as they did grow up together. Sometimes, my imagination forgets the obvious and goes and goes and goes....
Kitty wrote:
adr6090 wrote:now my imagination is with yours and I now also wonder if Flockhart is the son of Lady Heyburn. :hmm:
oh ! I haven't even thought of that ! I somehow figured them along the same age, since he said they grew up together.

Sonia
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Sonia,
Chapter 25 is in the mw. I will not be online tomorrow, though chapter 26 sounds as though it will be riveting :hmm: (if you can go by the last line in chapter 25). I will read that chapter this coming Monday, be certain on that.
:clap:
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote:Chapter 25 is in the mw. I will not be online tomorrow, though chapter 26 sounds as though it will be riveting :hmm: (if you can go by the last line in chapter 25).
indeed ! Flockhart showing up in the village. I wonder what he wants ? :hmm:

:hmm: The chapter was nicely read again. You also made the most of the Italian, although I found a few small errors, but nothing too disturbing. ;)

This time I have found some more errors though, which need to be worked over once more (sorry :( ):

> at 0:24: "Like many other Northamptonshire villages" - stumble and repeat on Northampton; I think you need to re-read this entire part, it will be difficult just to cut out this word without noticing a glitch

> at 2:09: "Prim, always in black bonnet" - you say "prim, black bonnet" which makes the sentence incomplete

> at 2:58: "it was only to satisfy her curiosity and to criticise" - stumble and repeat at "criticise"

> at 6:34-6:35: "it had been her habit for three months past to take long walks for many miles across the country" - I would leave less space before "across the country". It belongs to the same sentence and sounds a bit odd if you wait so long to finish that sentence

> at 7:09: "the connection of old Fotheringhay with the ill-fated Mary Queen of Scots": here a disturbing background noise is starting up again. What could it be ? :hmm: it abruptly stops again at 10:59.

what I would suggest to get rid of it are the following steps:

1) highlight a sample of the noise around 10:55
2) Effect - Noise Cleaning - Get Noise Sample
3) then highlight ONLY the seconds from 7:09 - 10:59, because only there the noise is
4) Effect - Noise-Cleaning - OK (that way Audacity is only working on that part where the noise is)
> repeat this procedure (Points 1-4) a SECOND time, because it's not gone with doing it once. I tried it, after the second time, it's much better, the noise almost inaudible

> at 7:14: "the splendid old Tudor house of Deene (the home of the Earls of Cardigan), the legends of King John concerning King's Cliffe" - the underlined part of sentence is missing

> at 10:46: "Io no" - it's "io" not "lo" ('i' not 'L') at the beginning

> at 10:52: "E torno per mai pin" - stumble and repeat, can be cut out. Also please note, there is a typo, it's not "pin" but "più" (read like English "pew")

that's all. The rest was absolutely well read

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello Sonia,

"This time I have found some more errors though, which need to be worked over once more (sorry :( ):

> at 0:24: "Like many other Northamptonshire villages" - stumble and repeat on Northampton; I think you need to re-read this entire part, it will be difficult just to cut out this word without noticing a glitch

> at 2:09: "Prim, always in black bonnet" - you say "prim, black bonnet" which makes the sentence incomplete

> at 2:58: "it was only to satisfy her curiosity and to criticise" - stumble and repeat at "criticise""

> at 6:34-6:35: "it had been her habit for three months past to take long walks for many miles across the country" - I would leave less space before "across the country". It belongs to the same sentence and sounds a bit odd if you wait so long to finish that sentence"

Those are corrected.

> at 7:09: "the connection of old Fotheringhay with the ill-fated Mary Queen of Scots": here a disturbing background noise is starting up again. What could it be ? :hmm: it abruptly stops again at 10:59.

what I would suggest to get rid of it are the following steps:

1) highlight a sample of the noise around 10:55
2) Effect - Noise Cleaning - Get Noise Sample
3) then highlight ONLY the seconds from 7:09 - 10:59, because only there the noise is
4) Effect - Noise-Cleaning - OK (that way Audacity is only working on that part where the noise is)
> repeat this procedure (Points 1-4) a SECOND time, because it's not gone with doing it once. I tried it, after the second time, it's much better, the noise almost inaudible

I followed your above steps.
Now it sounds as if I read that section in a tunnel. :hmm:

> at 7:14: "the splendid old Tudor house of Deene (the home of the Earls of Cardigan), the legends of King John concerning King's Cliffe" - the underlined part of sentence is missing
I have to say that the "raw" file did not even have that line. Operator error. :oops:

> at 10:46: "Io no" - it's "io" not "lo" ('i' not 'L') at the beginning

> at 10:52: "E torno per mai pin" - stumble and repeat, can be cut out. Also please note, there is a typo, it's not "pin" but "più" (read like English "pew")
Those are corrected.
I also fixed the words lasciare & ci.

You also made the most of the Italian

The Italian sounds disjointed to me. It is honestly okay? I feel as though I should record that area once more. :hmm:

Please let me know how this file sounds now.
Thank you
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote:Those are corrected.
yes those are all excellently corrected
:shock: indeed the sound is heavily distorted. I wonder why, when I tried it, it worked just fine. Maybe you missed one step. :hmm:

Anyway, we'll work it out, don't worry.
The Italian sounds disjointed to me. It is honestly okay? I feel as though I should record that area once more. :hmm:
still not quite happy with "lasciare" but the other parts are ok the way you speak them :thumbs:

Could you just re-upload once again, with a less distorted sound in the middle. I sent you a soundfile to show you how I mean.

Also: careful with your file-names, they are a bit wrong again. You have an _ at the end which should not be there. I just noticed the last chapter was also wrongly named, but don't worry about that, we can change the file name later

thanks

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello Sonia,
I am about to post the edited chapter 25 file. Please do let me know if there is anything that I may need to fix. :D
Thanks.

Kitty wrote:
adr6090 wrote:Those are corrected.
yes those are all excellently corrected
:shock: indeed the sound is heavily distorted. I wonder why, when I tried it, it worked just fine. Maybe you missed one step. :hmm:

Anyway, we'll work it out, don't worry.
still not quite happy with "lasciare" but the other parts are ok the way you speak them :thumbs:

Could you just re-upload once again, with a less distorted sound in the middle. I sent you a soundfile to show you how I mean.

Also: careful with your file-names, they are a bit wrong again. You have an _ at the end which should not be there. I just noticed the last chapter was also wrongly named, but don't worry about that, we can change the file name later

thanks

Sonia
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote: I am about to post the edited chapter 25 file. Please do let me know if there is anything that I may need to fix. :D
I just tried to download it, but it doesn't work. have you uploaded it already ? Please post the new link here.

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

It is the mw, perhaps it wasn't when you looked. I also corrected the file name for chapter 24.
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Sonia,
The edited chapter 25 is in the mw.
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote: The edited chapter 25 is in the mw.
thank you, yes April, this time I can mark it PL ok :) well done.

Also 24 has the correct file name now. I did not check anything else, as I suppose you did not change anything in the recording, which had been PL ok on the first go.

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello Sonia,
I did correct the word & chapter 25 is once again in the mw, please do listen and tell me if it is better?
Thank you,
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote:I did correct the word & chapter 25 is once again in the mw, please do listen and tell me if it is better?
oh you re-recorded that one sentence again? Well it was acceptable before, but yes, it’s definitely ok now. Thanks. And now I have Spot PLed this part 3 times, let’s NOT change anything anymore here LOL

moving on to the next chapter, which promises to become interesting :)

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

I did re-record that one sentence again & I am soooooo with you as far as us calling this chapter finished now. lol
The next chapter should be finished today and posted by tomorrow. :D

Kitty wrote:
adr6090 wrote:I did correct the word & chapter 25 is once again in the mw, please do listen and tell me if it is better?
oh you re-recorded that one sentence again? Well it was acceptable before, but yes, it’s definitely ok now. Thanks. And now I have Spot PLed this part 3 times, let’s NOT change anything anymore here LOL

moving on to the next chapter, which promises to become interesting :)

Sonia
April