[COMPLETE] The Ladies' Paradise by Emile Zola - phil

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Update to Phil: Kristin and I have made our plans to complete this project by Christmas! Only 14 chapters to go out of 34. We are almost 2/3s there.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Hi! I'm still here too! I'd forgotten about this project but I was still subscribed to it! I can continue to DPL for it now.
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Elizabby wrote:Hi! I'm still here too! I'd forgotten about this project but I was still subscribed to it! I can continue to DPL for it now.
That would be great, thanks!
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

msfry wrote:MTF edited Section 21 is uploaded.
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ladiesparadise_21_zola_128kb_mtfedits.mp3

PL Notes
2:46 Then whilst Marguerite was debiting the cloak, I think that is pronounced deb (as in Debbie), deb'it ing
3:13 with the scorn of a lady for chambermaids, I hear of.
4:42 amidst the inexhaustible treasures displayed on every side, I hear pressures. Treasures has a j sound. tre-jures. vs Pre-shures
4:51 She made a first halt before the trousseaux, tempted by some chemises that Pauline sold her; Prouniciations true-sew, and sha-meezes
6:36 to exhibit there on a small table, on is missing
13:48 retaining an intoxicating trembling from the contact. I hear intoxication. Will anyone notice? Your call.
17:56 Fat women elbowed their way through the crowd., I hear woman (singular) and cloud.
19:44 wandering about the departments, I hear wondering.
20:11 shaken by Mouret's other inventions, I hear ementions
23:57 two hundred and ten francs thirty centimes!" cried out the cashier, I hear centimeters, and crowed out.

Back to you Kristin! Now on to editing 22.
Slight problem... the file isn't there...
Kristin

Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

I did a little test to see the difference between my setup on sections 22 and 23, and turns out, it's not really all that much. In the interest of moving this project along, I don't think there will be any issue with keeping the files after all.
Kristin

Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

and one more thing; the text we used is gone. I found this: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/54726/54726-h/54726-h.htm
instead.
The text has some small differences, but it's the same translator, so...
Kristin

Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Kristin

msfry

Post by msfry »

Beth, welcome back.

Just as a reminder of our process from before, Kristin uploads the raw file, I edit it and send back to her with my notes. She fixes it and posts it here with the correct file name, at which point I add it to the MW as Ready for PL. That's when you step in. If it says "raw" or "mtfedits", that means it isn't ready for your eyes. :D
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kristingj wrote:and one more thing; the text we used is gone. I found this: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/54726/54726-h/54726-h.htm
instead.
Good catch! Okay, I'll add the new text link to the First Post.

I notice there is an introduction by Vizetelly that wasn't in the previous edition. It is rather lengthy, but includes these lines:

The story of Denise's struggles, hardships and temptations, her quiet courage and gentle steadfastness is invested by M. Zola with that simple pathos which adorns so many of his works. The young girl passes through the fire and emerges from it unscathed, protected by her own sense of rectitude and the purity of her love, whilst others, alas, are devoured. No more beautiful example of feminine resistance to evil could be imagined.

Should the Intro be included? Should I read it? If so, maybe tack it on to the end of the project for the history buffs (like me). Or just leave it off? Your thoughts, please.

EDIT; I found the original text, so that is what we are using. No Intro comes with that. Problem solved.
Last edited by msfry on October 19th, 2017, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

msfry wrote:
Kristingj wrote:and one more thing; the text we used is gone. I found this: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/54726/54726-h/54726-h.htm
instead.
Good catch! Okay, I'll add the new text link to the First Post.

I notice there is an introduction by Vizetelly that wasn't in the previous edition. It is rather lengthy, but includes these lines:

The story of Denise's struggles, hardships and temptations, her quiet courage and gentle steadfastness is invested by M. Zola with that simple pathos which adorns so many of his works. The young girl passes through the fire and emerges from it unscathed, protected by her own sense of rectitude and the purity of her love, whilst others, alas, are devoured. No more beautiful example of feminine resistance to evil could be imagined.

Should the Intro be included? Should I read it? If so, maybe tack it on to the end of the project for the history buffs (like me). Or just leave it off? Your thoughts, please.
I think we should have it in, absolutely. Just leave it a seperate file, and yeah, maybe at the end, to avoid spoilers:P If you want to record it, I think that would absolutely work, though I don't mind doing it:)
Kristin

msfry

Post by msfry »

Great. If you want to read it that would be most excellent. I can add a 00 to the beginning without messing up any of the numbers, or add the section to the end. It could go either place. Your call. And . . . . we can decide that later.

EDIT: Original text found. Problem solved.
Last edited by msfry on October 19th, 2017, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

msfry wrote:Great. If you want to read it that would be most excellent. I can add a 00 to the beginning without messing up any of the numbers, or add the section to the end. It could go either place. Your call. And . . . . we can decide that later.
:thumbs:
Kristin

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

From a reader perspective I don't like spoilers at the start of a novel. So if you are going to have it, I'd put it at the end and call it "Editor's Note" or something other than "Introduction".

An alternative might be to clip out the relevant interesting bits and use those as the catalogue summary, avoiding spoilers of course!

The other aspect to consider is that if anyone else reads a chapter, it will become a Group Project, not a solo.
msfry

Post by msfry »

This has to be Kristin's call.

I generally skip over introductions myself, finding them annoying and distractingly academic until after I've read the book, and then, usually very informative. :)
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

We'll ad it to the end and call it afterword, then people can listen if they want to.
Kristin