COMPLETE [Weekly Poem] Life by Griffith Alexander - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Life by Griffith Alexander ( ?- ?).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/life-by-griffith-alexander/
"What is life?" we ask. "Just one darned thing after another," the cynic replies. Yes, a multiplicity of forces and interests, and each of them, even the disagreeable,
may be of real help to us. It's good for a dog, says a shrewd philosopher, to be pestered with fleas; it keeps him from thinking too much about being a dog. ( from the poem preface)
Each week a poem is chosen to be recorded by as many LibriVox volunteers as possible!
This Week's Poem was suggested by Elizabby. :clap:
This week's poem can be found here.

Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44100 kHz

Have questions on "how"?
Check LV's Recording Notes thread before recording. If this is your first recording, you'll also find this Newbie Guide to Recording useful.
Begin your reading with the abbreviated LibriVox disclaimer:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
Life by Griffith Alexander, read for LibriVox.org by [your name].
[Add, if you wish, date, your location, and/or your personal url.]
Then read the poem:
"What is life?" we ask. "Just one darned thing after another," the cynic replies. Yes, a multiplicity of forces and interests, and each of them, even the disagreeable,
may be of real help to us. It's good for a dog, says a shrewd philosopher, to be pestered with fleas; it keeps him from thinking too much about being a dog.

What's life? A story or a song;
A race on any track;
A gay adventure, short or long,
A puzzling nut to crack;
A grinding task; a pleasant stroll;
A climb; a slide down hill;
A constant striving for a goal;
A cake; a bitter pill;
A pit where fortune flouts or stings;
A playground full of fun;—
With many any of these things;
With others all in one.
What's life? To love the things we see;
The hills that touch the skies;
The smiling sea; the laughing lea;
The light in woman's eyes;
To work and love the work we do;
To play a game that's square;
To grin a bit when feeling blue;
With friends our joys to share;
To smile, though games be lost or won;
To earn our daily bread;—
And when at last the day is done
To tumble into bed.

At the end of your reading, leave a space and then say:
End of poem. This recording is in the public domain.

Please leave 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording.
Save your recording as an mp3 file using the following filename and ID3 tag format:
File name - all in lowercase: life_alexander_your initials in lowercase_128kb.mp3
ie: life_alexander_klh_128kb.mp3

ID3 tags (Version 2.30):
ID Tags are completed during cataloging.

*New readers, please check back a day or so after submitting your files for any feedback.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: aradlaw
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
When you post your link, please include your name as you would like it credited on the catalogue page and any URL by which you would like it accompanied. (Note: This is only necessary if you have not done so for another project.)
(If you wish to contribute, please have your readings submitted by 0600 GMT Sunday, October 1, 2017 (12:00AM CDT)

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!<p>

Magic Window:

BC Admin
(And remember, anyone can suggest a poem for a certain week and/or coordinate an upcoming weekly poem! If you'd like to suggest a poem or coordinate a future Weekly Poetry project, please visit this thread.)
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
ClaudiaSterngucker

Post by ClaudiaSterngucker »

Hi Aradlaw,

I've just uploaded my version of the weekly poem. It's the first time I participate in a project and I'm absolutely not tech-savvy, yet. I'm not sure at all if my editing is done properly and I want to apologise for my Swiss-German accent.

Duration of the recording: 1:57, and my name is ClaudiaSterngucker.

Thank you very much, this is a wonderful project! <3

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/life_alexander_cs_128kb.mp3
Claudia

"Aus Druckerschwärze entstehen Dinge, Menschen, Geister und Götter, die man sonst nicht sehen könnte." Erich Kästner
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you Claudia, good first reading. :thumbs: You're spot on with the specs, and your accent is delightful. :D
You can click on your forum name in the Magic Window to view your new LibriVox catalog page. :wink:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
ClaudiaSterngucker

Post by ClaudiaSterngucker »

Thank you very, very much, David, for being so kind to me, the help and support here in the Forum is really incredible! :9: Honestly, I was scared to upload my flawed rookie reading and felt like a daredevil to have found the courage to actually do it. Now, I'm just happy to be a part of this great project. Huge Merci!
Claudia

"Aus Druckerschwärze entstehen Dinge, Menschen, Geister und Götter, die man sonst nicht sehen könnte." Erich Kästner
brucek

Post by brucek »

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you Bruce. :thumbs:
David Lawrence

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Here is another interpretation:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/life_alexander_vb_128kb.mp3 1:57

Thanks!
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

David-

Mine for this week-

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/life_alexander_ps_128kb.mp3
Track length: 1:48

A charming poem, nice way to start the day. Good pick, Elizabby :)
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you Phil and tovarisch. :thumbs:
David Lawrence

queentiffanyrose

Post by queentiffanyrose »

Hey everyone, I am a newbie. This is my first recording for LibriVox. I had a lot of fun doing it. Please feel free to provide feedback. Thanks. :D

Queen Tiffany Rose

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/life_alexander_tr_128kb.mp3

Time: 2:08
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by aradlaw »

Good first reading Queen Tiffany Rose :D Most of the specs are correct, we need to work on increasing the volume
- the volume is too low at 69 dB, you should aim for your wave forms to peak near the 0.5 mark, like this:

You will need to increase your record volume level either with your recording software and/or the system volume controls. Please ask if you need help. :wink:

You can check your volume using our Checker program - see info at http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker Make sure you download the experimental version - you will find the volume in decibels on the Information tab. For your information, we look for around 89 dB (87-91 is OK)

*Please let me know under what name would you like to appear in the LV catalog and if you have one, we can put your personal URL link on your catalog page too.
You can view your brand new LV Catalog page by clicking your forum name in the Magic Window.
David Lawrence

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you Algy. :thumbs:
David Lawrence

WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Tomas Peter
queentiffanyrose

Post by queentiffanyrose »

Thank you for the feedback. I went ahead and used Replay Gain to increase the volume, and also used Checker to ensure it passes. Checker now shows it at 88.9dB I have also create a new link with the correction.

The name I would like to use would be:

Queen Tiffany Rose
I would like my URL to be www.queentiffanyrose.com

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/life_alexander_tr_128kb.mp3

Time 2:08

8-)