[COMPLETE]The birth of professional rugby in Australia - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

The birth of professional rugby league in Australia (1907-08) by The Sydney Morning Herald.

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/birth-professional-rugby-league-australia-by-sydney-morning-herald/

In early 1907 the world of Australian rugby was rocked by the news that a professional New Zealand All Blacks team was set to tour the northern counties of Engliand, where professional rugby had been a reality for more than a decade. The professionalization of Australian rugby was unthinkable, but within a few months the unthinkable had come to pass. The professional All Blacks had played a hastily formed New South Wales team, the great Dally Messenger had joined the New Zealand tour of England, and by 1908 a professional league was formed in Sydney, with several of the teams that play in the NRL today. This selection from the Sydney Morning Herald's coverage of the fierce debate that ensued, shows how concerns for the welfare of the game and players were mingled with class-interest, colonial ideologies and greed for profit. ( Phil Benson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q=professional+rugby&exactPhrase;&anyWords;¬Words;&requestHandler&dateFrom;=1907-01-01&dateTo=1908-12-31&l-advstate=New+South+Wales&sortby=dateAsc&l-title=35&s=0
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Sports & Recreation

Keywords that describe the book: Australia, New Zealand, Rugby

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of The birth of professional rugby league in Australia: A selection from the Sydney Morning Herald (1907-08). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The birth of professional rugby league in Australia: A selection from the Sydney Morning Herald (1907-08), [section]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of The birth of professional rugby league in Australia: A selection from the Sydney Morning Herald (1907-08) This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[section ##]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [section]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The birth of professional rugby league in Australia: A selection from the Sydney Morning Herald (1907-08), "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, .
  • Example filename rugbyleague_##_smh.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. rugbyleague_01_smh.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Various
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The birth of professional rugby league in Australia: A selection from the Sydney Morning Herald (1907-08)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by eggs4ears on August 5th, 2017, 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Annise will MC this and Algy Pug will DPL.

Don't know if I've set this up correctly. The source link is a database search on Trove. Author is 'various' or the 'Sydney Morning Herald'?

Phil
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's set up
I've made the title in the database "The Birth of Professional Rugby League in Australia"
I checked the newspaper articles we have , it would be possible to use Various or "The Sydney Morning Herald", it's up to you really - but going Sydney Morning Herald would save mentioning that in the heading.
I'm curious about what you plan to use as section titles, float some by me before you fill them in.
Is each section 1 article or several , if 1 use date ?
If several and it's going to be in order "maybe date first one --date last 1" and read the date before each bit ?
I'm absolutely no fan of rugby - I've seen a couple of union games on TV and am aware that islanders have ideal build for it so there will be no intelligent remarks from me about the content :D
Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks!

I have changed the title + changed the author to The Sydney Morning Herald.

There are a number of different articles in each section and usually a number of dates. I have made up titles or borrowed headlines to reflect what was happening, but could also just use the date range - Section 1 is 'A professional All Blacks team to tour the northern counties of England', Section 2: 'A wave of discontent'. I have read both the title and the date range at the beginning of each file.

This is actually a bit more social history than sport. It is mainly about how the NSW rugby union was exploiting the working men who played the game - not paying compensation when they were injured and cleaning up big profits as attendances at games were on the rise - or at least that's how it starts.

Rugby league is an odd game. It is really only played in Lancashire, Yorkshire, Australia and New Zealand. In Australia, it is a very multicultural game, with a lot of Pacific Islanders, as you say, but also Italians, Lebanese and a good proportion of Aboriginal players from Queensland. It used be the professional version of rugby union, but the rules have changed quite a bit over the years so they are now two different games.

Phil

annise wrote:It's set up
I've made the title in the database "The Birth of Professional Rugby League in Australia"
I checked the newspaper articles we have , it would be possible to use Various or "The Sydney Morning Herald", it's up to you really - but going Sydney Morning Herald would save mentioning that in the heading.
I'm curious about what you plan to use as section titles, float some by me before you fill them in.
Is each section 1 article or several , if 1 use date ?
If several and it's going to be in order "maybe date first one --date last 1" and read the date before each bit ?
I'm absolutely no fan of rugby - I've seen a couple of union games on TV and am aware that islanders have ideal build for it so there will be no intelligent remarks from me about the content :D
Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The titles are much more interesting than dates :thumbs: . Come to think of it I do know the rules of touch football which I think is more like league than union ? My daughter has lived and worked in small country towns and it's quite popular as a fun, all sexes and ages game on a summer evening.

Anne
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

DPL checking in!

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Algy Pug »

PL notes:

Section 1
11:21
and he accepted
Line read twice

Section 2 - PL OK

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by eggs4ears »

Part 1 corrected

Parts 3-5 ready for PL

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/Rugbyleague_03_smh.mp3 - 30:35
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/Rugbyleague_04_smh.mp3 - 23:21
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/Rugbyleague_05_smh.mp3 - 27:47

There is no natural end to this project, so I've stopped reading after the reports of the first week of the new season. That should make ten sections of around 20-30 minutes each.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

New file for Section 1 appears to be unchanged.

I will get to Sections 3 to 7 shortly.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Algy Pug »

Section 3 is PL OK.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Algy Pug »

Sections 4, 5 and 7 are PL OK.

Note for Section 6:
At length
Line read twice

Comment on Section 5:
"....Awaiting a wire from a Mr John Wren of Melbourne."
John Wren was one of the most famous underworld characters in Melbourne and the power behind the throne at the Collingwood Australian Rules football club. His most famous business enterprise was an unlicensed betting shop in Johnson St Collingwood. He was the subject of the novel, Power Without Glory, by Frank Hardy.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by eggs4ears »

Sections 1 & 6 corrected and uploaded. 8, 9, and 10 ready for PL OK. That's it unless anyone would like me to carry on until 1922?

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/Rugbyleague_08_smh.mp3 - 16:28
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/Rugbyleague_09_smh.mp3 - 36:24
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/Rugbyleague_10_smh.mp3 - 27:04
Algy Pug wrote: Comment on Section 5:
"....Awaiting a wire from a Mr John Wren of Melbourne."
John Wren was one of the most famous underworld characters in Melbourne and the power behind the throne at the Collingwood Australian Rules football club. His most famous business enterprise was an unlicensed betting shop in Johnson St Collingwood. He was the subject of the novel, Power Without Glory, by Frank Hardy.
That must explain why the match didn't take place, the NRL is still awaiting the wire...
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Have you come accross any nice photos in your search ?

Anne